OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why use anything but a mouth call?

Started by mcw3734, April 17, 2020, 11:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Although I use mouth calls almost exclusively myself, it is just because I am stubborn.  As has been stated, regardless of how good one is with a mouth call, you just cannot replicate every single pitch and tone variation that turkeys make.  There are just some subtle differences in sound that certain turkeys want to hear at times.

All of us hunt woods at times that we know there are turkeys around and yet, we cannot strike a gobbler for whatever reason.  When that happens, it is time to try something different.  Sometimes that is nothing more than a different mouth call,...and sometimes it means switching to a totally different sound that can only be reproduced with a friction-type call, suction-type call,...or whatever. 

Again, it is the gobbler that decides what he wants to hear that turns him on, not the caller and how good he thinks he is with whatever he is using.     

gdc23

I find when hiking hilly areas on a run & gun its just easier to locate using a box call, plus half the fun is exreriencing different calls whether its trying different diagphrams or other styles of calls

EZ

Quote from: mcw3734 on April 17, 2020, 11:04:42 PM
Assuming one has the physical ability to use a diaphragm call, and the time to learn it... why would you use anything else?

You can answer that yourself. Along with your mouth calls, get a good pot, box and Wingbone, Jordan or trumpet. Learn to use them proficiently. Make a conscious effort to use several different calls whenever you have a bird that's not cooperating to your mouth call, or on those dead silent days. After a few years of doing that, you'll wonder why you ever asked that question, guaranteed.

sswv

this spring will be my 47th year spring gobbler hunting and I have never, not one time ever carried a mouth call in the woods. Many years ago I bought one and just couldn't use it so that was that. I know that it's a BIG advantage to use one because for many years I was able to call with my natural voice but a chemical exposure ended that so, boxes, pots and push pins are what I carry.  But you know what?  I might just try one again. I have more patience now that I'm older.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: mcw3734 on April 17, 2020, 11:04:42 PM
Assuming one has the physical ability to use a diaphragm call, and the time to learn it... why would you use anything else? I now only use diaphragm calls for turkeys. Not on principle, but it does everything I need and without any hand movement. Not to mention small, light, and cheap. But, I'm a minimalist.

Am I missing something?  Other than maybe sentimental reasons for another type of call?

Why anything other than a plastic worm to Bass fish with?
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

paboxcall

Quote from: EZ on April 18, 2020, 09:30:12 AM
You can answer that yourself. Along with your mouth calls, get a good pot, box and Wingbone, Jordan or trumpet. Learn to use them proficiently. Make a conscious effort to use several different calls whenever you have a bird that's not cooperating to your mouth call, or on those dead silent days. After a few years of doing that, you'll wonder why you ever asked that question, guaranteed.

Well stated.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

wchadw

I can't use them. The vibration in the roof of my mouth makes me have to sneeze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

I like em all and sometimes the bird likes a different sound. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

eddie234

Because a long box or box call can reach out farther. I can soft talk with a good slate, my aluminum can sound awesome from one ridge to the next. Throw in various strikers and it adds a whole different element.
I used one call and didn't hear a thing switched to another and had one gobble. It's just what the turkey wants to hear in a certain day. Can't limit yourself to one thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Paulmyr

I'm mainly a diaphragm I guy. I carry couple pot calls but they don't come out often. Mainly on super windy days when I'm trying to locate. I find if I can't strike them with my diaphragms the pot calls usually don't work either but I only have a couple. I think cadence might have a lot to do with it. When you switch between different calls, say from a mouth call to a box or box to pot your cadence will change. Maybe ever so slightly but it will change. Plus I find I'm not always going back to find calls and strikers that I left next to one of the trees I was sitting at.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Meatseeker

Because there are times when a gobbler won't respond to a diaphragm call or will answer but will hang up.  I can't tell you how many times in that situation when I pulled out a super high pitched (aluminum or glass) pot call and laid down some real high pitched cutting and had them instantly respond.  I use diaphragms, pot calls, and box calls and I've seem them all work better than others on a particular day.

Gooserbat

Because sometimes when they don't respond to a mouth call, they will run you over to come to a Box, pot, trumpet...

Do this long enough and you will see turkeys do all kinds of unexplainable stuff.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Zeke6685 on April 18, 2020, 12:25:49 AM
I like to use a box call to locate birds, once I'm setup I use a mouth call 99 % of the time. I've had birds answer a box just about as far away as you can hear one, and on really windy days it will carry way better than a diaphragm call.

I agree. I have reduced the number of friction calls I carry to two. Gotta have some variety
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Crghss

Lot better with a pot or box call then mouth call. Just was never good with mouth call.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...