turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why use anything but a mouth call?

Started by mcw3734, April 17, 2020, 11:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

Assuming one has the physical ability to use a diaphragm call, and the time to learn it... why would you use anything else? I now only use diaphragm calls for turkeys. Not on principle, but it does everything I need and without any hand movement. Not to mention small, light, and cheap. But, I'm a minimalist.

Am I missing something?  Other than maybe sentimental reasons for another type of call?

Sir-diealot

Because variety is the spice of life.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

1iagobblergetter

I like to switch it up. If one call isn't getting it done sometimes another will seal the deal. Plus I believe in stimulating the economy and making great friends and talking Turkey's in the process. It's a win win.

Missed mallards

I wish I could use one!

Just never have been able to use one to its potential. So I have 47 other calls to use lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeke6685

I like to use a box call to locate birds, once I'm setup I use a mouth call 99 % of the time. I've had birds answer a box just about as far away as you can hear one, and on really windy days it will carry way better than a diaphragm call.

Cowboy

I've always carried friction calls to the woods. I just love them. On more than one occasion,  I've had gobblers ignore certain calls and go crazy over another. And some of us, me included, don't sound like Dave Owens. Lol 

LaLongbeard

Because sometimes a Gobbler will answer a friction call and not a mouth call. It even happens to the pro callers. Ever see the Pinhoti show we're the Gobbler would not answer a mouth call Chubs used a glass call and struck the Gobbler? It happens....a lot
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Greg Massey

My question is why us mouth call ? Mouth call's can break or mess up also. Sure carry you pack full of them. I just like other type calls pots , boxes and hen boxes .. why not experience it all in the turkey woods .. I you fill mouth calls is all you want to carry them go far it ... I'm just more versatile myself 

Turkeytider

I can yelp and click and purr ( sort of ) on a mouth call but have found I can call more consistently on a pot call .

Turkeyman

I'm also pretty much a minimalist but I still go afield with a box, slate, glass and several mouth calls. I'm not a pro with mouth calls but I can pretty much hold my own. When I'm in a situation where truly soft, quiet calls are dictated I'll switch to the slate or glass. Very few guys can call as quiet with a mouth as opposed to slate or glass...try it yourself with a smartphone decibel app. Couple years ago I had a tom a couple hundred yards away, out in a field, and switched to my glass. I made tiny half yelps so soft you wouldn't be able to hear them at 30 yards. He loved them to death.

turkeymanjim

I use tube calls 90% of the time to strike a gobbler and finish him to the gun. I think the tubes work well because not many people use them. Yes, I carry slate, crystal and ceramic calls and long box with me, do I use them, absolutely. I also always have a mouth call in to finish if I need to, to get him to move a little closer, or to get him to move from around a tree or obstacles or to lift his head for shot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Spurs Up

Mouth callers produce a wide range of pitches and notes, but there are just some series of turkey notes no single caller can reproduce. That includes blowing pieces of rubber.

Happy hooker

Why spend $25 on a tank of gas when you can go to grocery store and buy a turkey for less??
It's all about fun and enjoyment,,sitting against a tree all day with plenty of time to kill and wait it's nice to hold this beautiful piece of art that is also a musical instrument.
Not to mention that the majority of young guys believe their a child prodigy with a mouth call so the birds hear plenty of that wet sounding talk.

troutfisher13111

Cuz trumpets are funner

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Quote from: Turkeyman on April 18, 2020, 07:09:20 AM
I'm also pretty much a minimalist but I still go afield with a box, slate, glass and several mouth calls. I'm not a pro with mouth calls but I can pretty much hold my own. When I'm in a situation where truly soft, quiet calls are dictated I'll switch to the slate or glass. Very few guys can call as quiet with a mouth as opposed to slate or glass...try it yourself with a smartphone decibel app. Couple years ago I had a tom a couple hundred yards away, out in a field, and switched to my glass. I made tiny half yelps so soft you wouldn't be able to hear them at 30 yards. He loved them to death.

I find it amazing what they can hear from a distance that you know no human could hear.