OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Quarantine daydreaming Bucket list turkey areas

Started by RiverRoost, April 17, 2020, 12:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

with all the craziness going on right now and some folks being quarantined at home and us hunters not being able to travel I know everybody's minds drift to other places. I know there's a million beautiful places in this great country but what are some of the amazing scenery places/areas/mtn ranges etc you've hunted in that are places a turkey hunter SHOULD try to make in their lifetime. I'm thinking somewhere in the Appalachians or along east cost somewhere and then a trip somewhere around Maine or New York one day for me.

Sir-diealot

If you ever do make it to NY the Finger Lakes Region is not to be missed. Also since you can only hunt til Noon in the Spring in NY you can always hit the Wine Trail and sample many different wines if that is your thing. Also the scenery is fantastic.

I would love to go hunt the mountains out west myself for some Merriam's and then go South for Gould's. I have always wanted to see mountains.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

BBR12

Definitely the mountains out west if you've never been there. I have an absolute love hate relationship with mountains. Some of the prettiest scenery ever, but if you get to having to cover a lot of ground it gets rough in a hurry. I have been in probably 35 states so far and it's crazy how different and how similar places are. I typically drive everywhere and I often find myself thinking how similar places thousands of miles apart look. I personally just love driving and seeing the country as I'm traveling to and from hunts. I haven't been NE yet, that was the plan for this year but doesn't look like that will be happening.

Greg Massey

If you ever get chance check out Missouri for some turkey hunting action along the 11 point River and the Irish Wilderness , beautiful place ...

Jstocks

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 17, 2020, 09:42:45 AM
If you ever get chance check out Missouri for some turkey hunting action along the 11 point River and the Irish Wilderness , beautiful place ...

Special place in my heart for this area. I grew up going on camping trips with my mentor there. He passed away in an accident about week before I was supposed to pick him up to go deer hunting one January in 2009.

I love those woods and I tear up every time I head north without him and somehow wind up driving past that area. I have not hunted there in a very long time, but usually wind up passing within a hundred miles either side during my spring travels.

That being said, never held great numbers of turkeys, but we usually found one to chase. There are much better places with higher populations, just something about that river and those woods that serve my memories as a treasured place.

RiverRoost

I love the mountains as well.  Skiing and hunting out there I have seen some of their beauties but never seen them in the summer of spring. Definitely want to make a turkey trip out there.

Spurs Up

To me nothing compares to the Loess Hills along the Missouri River, especially in Iowa. Beautiful scenery and the home of gigantic gobblers. Twenty-five pound gobblers and better are the norm.

RiverRoost

Quote from: Spurs Up on April 17, 2020, 10:45:31 PM
To me nothing compares to the Loess Hills along the Missouri River, especially in Iowa. Beautiful scenery and the home of gigantic gobblers. Twenty-five pound gobblers and better are the norm.
[/quote

Sounds awesome. I'm from the south and have hunted river hardwoods all my life so big timber and bottoms are home to me and have an eye for them. I'll definitly have to research this place for one day

Dtrkyman

Possibly endless for me, but Osceola in a Hammock.

Tennessee, I see videos on public land that I hear more birds than I do on private in Illinois and Missouri. 

South Dakota black hills.

New Mexico, kill a Rio on the Rio Grande, and then drive to the mountains for a Merriam for the second bird!

GobbleNut

I retired about a year ago and my wife is retiring next March.  I have already informed her that I/we are taking extended trips to the northern tier of states during turkey season (I have already hunted most of the southern tier of states).  I will turkey hunt in the mornings and evenings and we will sight-see what she wants during the day. 

My list includes a three-state northwest trip, a three state upper-Midwest trip, and a far northeast trip,...one each spring if all goes as planned.  :)

GobbleNut

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 18, 2020, 09:26:16 AM
New Mexico, kill a Rio on the Rio Grande, and then drive to the mountains for a Merriam for the second bird!

Good luck with that "Rio on the Rio Grande" hunt! ...Very little opportunity for Rios along the Rio.  There are a few there in limited areas, especially on public ground...although you might be able to find a private-land hunt along the Rio Grande river valley where you could kill a Rio. 

RiverRoost

If I wanted pretty rolling/mtn  hardwoods in the northern part of the country like NY, Pa type north were would be a good spot to check out

OJR

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 17, 2020, 12:49:21 AM
If you ever do make it to NY the Finger Lakes Region is not to be missed. Also since you can only hunt til Noon in the Spring in NY you can always hit the Wine Trail and sample many different wines if that is your thing. Also the scenery is fantastic.

I would love to go hunt the mountains out west myself for some Merriam's and then go South for Gould's. I have always wanted to see mountains.

I second your suggestion of the Finger Lakes Region of New York. it is absolutely some of the most beautiful country in the northeast.
My son and his family live in Ithaca, NY and we have hunted turkey in the surrounding area and fished the beautiful lakes and rivers as well as hit the wine trail on several occasions. Some of the friendliest and most accommodating people I have ever met live here. I'll be back there in July if this virus has slowed down by then.

Dtrkyman

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 18, 2020, 09:39:26 AM

Good luck with that "Rio on the Rio Grande" hunt! ...Very little opportunity for Rios along the Rio.  There are a few there in limited areas, especially on public ground...although you might be able to find a private-land hunt along the Rio Grande river valley where you could kill a Rio.
I know where there are a few on public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 20, 2020, 04:41:38 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on April 18, 2020, 09:39:26 AM

I know where there are a few on public.

If you know where they are,...good luck!  (Make sure you get there first!)  :)