turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSS shot size

Started by mossyoakpro, April 15, 2020, 12:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossyoakpro

I'm am new to the TSS game and was curious as to the advantage of the smaller shot size...I do travel to hunt a lot and I have never looked to see what the minimum shot size is in the states I travel to because I never needed to since I'm a 12 gauge Hevi-13 #6 guy.

However since I'm going to jump back in the 20 gauge arena I imagine I'll be shooting it now....my questions are:

Does one size shot work any better than another #9 vs #7 or #8 etc?  I would assume that the bigger shot would carry more energy?  Also does any of the smaller shot sizes keep you legal in most states without having to change things up?

Thanks in advance!!
Phillippians 4:13

Southerngobbler

Most people agree the #9 carries enough energy to do what it needs to do so there's no need to go larger. The #9 puts more holes where you need them and that's what the whole benefit to using TSS is-being able to use a smaller shot size.

Delmar ODonnell

TSS is advantageous due to the density of Tungsten. It weighs somewhere between 1.5-2X more than lead, so 9 shot TSS weighs approximately the same as #5 lead. With 9 shot being so much smaller, you essentially have twice the number of pellets in each load, each one delivering the same knock down power as one #5 lead.

Couple this with the smaller diameter, which provides for more penetration and less air resistance, thus better patterns. There is no reason to shoot any shot bigger than #9s, other than legal reasons, but only a few states have these restrictions. I know Nebraska requires you to shoot 7.5s or bigger, but hopefully as state agencies get used to TSS, this will change.

Spitten and drummen

More pellets , great patterns and more than enough energy.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Spurs Up

In gauges 28 and larger, it's hard to beat #9's for combined pattern density and energy. If you are traveling to a state that restricts shot size to larger sized shot, it's probably best to drop down to lead or other alternatives to TSS. Otherwise you start losing pattern density quickly...

Gooserbat

I shoot #9.  I don't see any reason to use anything else.  I'd not go bigger than #8.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mossyoakpro

Thanks folks!!  Guess #9 it is!!  I do go to Nebraska on occasion but I could just take the 12 on that trip and not worry about it.

I'm looking forward to toting the lighter 20 gauge in the mountains of WY and MT...those hills are tough on a fat flat lander!  LOL
Phillippians 4:13

LaLongbeard

FYI a lot of people mistakenly claim the TSS #9 is heavier than lead #5or #6....it is not,not even close. TSS is denser but that's not the same as weight. TSS # 9 may be great, I don't shoot TSS, but I think a lot of people are misinformed
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Delmar ODonnell

Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 15, 2020, 05:22:32 PM
FYI a lot of people mistakenly claim the TSS #9 is heavier than lead #5or #6....it is not,not even close. TSS is denser but that's not the same as weight. TSS # 9 may be great, I don't shoot TSS, but I think a lot of people are misinformed

You are right. After a little math, one pellet of TSS 9 weighs a little more than half of that as lone pellet of lead #5 and about 2/3 the weight of one #6 lead. I was wrong. I guess what it lacks in that department it makes up for just by shot density. One ounce of #5s on average contains 170 pellets, #6 225, and one ounce of #9 contains on average 585. Pretty interesting.

RutnNStrutn

I too am new to the TSS game, and am also stepping down from my 12 ga to a 20 ga. I did a lot of research and saw that most guys are going with a load of #9's for their 20's. I called a friend of mine who is an Apex associate. He recommended their Small Town Hunting Blend, which is a duplex load of #7-1/2's and #9's. So that's what I went with.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Delmar ODonnell on April 15, 2020, 06:20:49 PM

You are right. After a little math, one pellet of TSS 9 weighs a little more than half of that as lone pellet of lead #5 and about 2/3 the weight of one #6 lead. I was wrong. I guess what it lacks in that department it makes up for just by shot density. One ounce of #5s on average contains 170 pellets, #6 225, and one ounce of #9 contains on average 585. Pretty interesting.

TSS #9s = 362 per ounce @ 18g/cc

Delmar ODonnell

Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 15, 2020, 06:43:17 PM

You're right again. I was looking at a chart for lead shot per ounce. Inserting my foot into my mouth faster than I can type.

Spurs Up

That sounds about right for lead. However, an ounce of #9 TSS at 18g/cc averages 362 pellets. 19 g/cc TSS will have nominally fewer than that.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Delmar ODonnell on April 15, 2020, 06:48:03 PM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 15, 2020, 06:43:17 PM

You're right again. I was looking at a chart for lead shot per ounce. Inserting my foot into my mouth faster than I can type.

Lol. I'm no TSS expert either but when I first started hearing the heavier than lead talk they almost had me on the TSS train until I did some reading. I'm guessing from all the satisfied customers it must be working for them, but I personally don't think it would be an improvement over what I been using.

RutnNStrutn

"but I personally don't think it would be an improvement over what I been using"

I think the allure of TSS is the downrange power due to the density, and therefore being able to increase the number of pellets resulting in more pellets on target.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk