Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSS comment from a choke company exec...

Started by lowoctane, April 15, 2020, 09:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

:morning:
I had the need for some barrel work and choke installation on my Browning A5 Mag Belgian and was talking about TSS vs Long Beards and the topic came up about cleaning the harvested bird that had been shot with the nines vs the LB sixes and how difficult it was to get all of those little shot out of the meat prior to cooking it. Sixes are bad enough to find and remove but the nines are very difficult by comparison. He went on to say that since the sixes are lead and you were unfortunate enough to bite down on one he thought that the lead shot would be more forgiving than the TSS shot because of the hardness difference between the two. It's something I never considered because I don't shoot TSS, but thought it was worth mentioning as cracking a tooth is no laughing matter especially now with most dentists in quarantine...  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

strum

So far the 3 turks I shot with tss almost all the shot went to the head . I did find a flyer or 2 in them . but I didnt have any problem finding them. To your point though I can see where biting down on one is not a good thing.

blake_08

I'm not sure how true it is as i've never shot a bird with TSS, but i've read when pellets hit the breast they pass all the way through the meat. Again, not sure how true this is but I'm interested in finding out.

fallhnt

That's a comment you would hear from someone who has no first hand experience.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

dublelung

I've got plenty of time to pick out shot regardless of what it's made of.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: fallhnt on April 15, 2020, 09:39:07 AM
That's a comment you would hear from someone who has no first hand experience.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Exactly
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Hobbes

I've shot 8 birds with #8.5s and haven't had that problem yet.  I think one of them had a shot or two that hit the breast, but they apparently passed all the way through.  I rarely shoot low enough for it to be a concern.

Spitten and drummen

Shoot them where you are suppose to and you wont have that problem. We all know that sometimes things dont go as planned. I have killed at least a dozen birds , ate them all and never bit down on one of those 9's. Same for my family. I have had some shot go into the breast on a few of them , but they never stayed in the bird. Blew through like butter. Most of these birds have been under forty , the majority 20 or 25 yards. You fling those long shots and we all know the pattern opens up considerably and can very easily end up with some pellets where we dont want them. Will they stay in the bird? At those longer distances , very possible. Also when you clean the bird , you will see the blood shot where the pellets hit. Just check them and make sure none are there. The ones I recovered , gets cleaned and loaded for the next bird.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 15, 2020, 10:05:09 AM
Shoot them where you are suppose to and you wont have that problem. We all know that sometimes things dont go as planned. I have killed at least a dozen birds , ate them all and never bit down on one of those 9's. Same for my family. I have had some shot go into the breast on a few of them , but they never stayed in the bird. Blew through like butter. Most of these birds have been under forty , the majority 20 or 25 yards. You fling those long shots and we all know the pattern opens up considerably and can very easily end up with some pellets where we dont want them. Will they stay in the bird? At those longer distances , very possible. Also when you clean the bird , you will see the blood shot where the pellets hit. Just check them and make sure none are there. The ones I recovered , gets cleaned and loaded for the next bird.

That's what my experience has been, even going back to my lead days I dont think have had to ever remove more then 3 or 4 pellets from the meat of a bird I shot, certainly not a chore and with TSS i've always seen just a few wound channels and no shot stuck in the meat. But I aim for the neck at appropriate distances with a good choke and and an accurate reddot.

If I guy purchased TSS so he can body shoot and roll a bird at 76yds well then I hope he chips a tooth.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Number17

Same experience here. Pinhole pass throughs everywhere.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

longbeards

Killed 5 in 4 states last spring and had no issue with TSS in the breast, farthest was around 50 yards,,,I misjudged the distance and still had only a couple of shot in the breast...Devastating patterns and knock down at 40 yards with TSS Federal No 9.

Speaking of which Cabelas had them on sale last night for 18.99 a box for 3 inch, no 9 shot! I ordered 10 boxes I love it so much! Today it was back to normal! $33 A BOX

Southerngobbler

I've bit down on a few #9s Tss and it comes as a shock for sure. You can tell its not lead. That being said it's not a big deal. I might chew a little slower but the benefits far out weigh the negatives.

sasquatch1

No matter what pellet you bite down on it hurts the same!! Biting down on lead ain't exactly like biting bubble gum

Our minds make us believe it hurts less with lead, but done on pellets in birds others killed that you may not know of the shot type used, I sure bet you can't tell which it is before you see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtns2hunt

Dental insurance should help with the pain. LOL.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Old Gobbler

Steel shot for duck will chip teeth just as bad as the next

Lead shot is toxic , I wouldnt want to accidentally injest that , migratory birds were doing that when dabbling in ponds and that is why it is banned for waterfowl hunting

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon