Learn Anything?

Started by guesswho, May 13, 2011, 12:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 13, 2011, 02:58:52 PM
Quote from: guesswho on May 13, 2011, 02:57:02 PM
Quote from: LX_Trkyhntr on May 13, 2011, 02:37:14 PM
Quote from: guesswho on May 13, 2011, 12:08:19 PM
But this year I tried something different and got at least one response every afternoon I tried it.

What did you do that was different that made them gobble?
I'll post this later from my death bed :-X :)

Was it this?...

Dang!  How did you find out? :TooFunny:

No, it is actually an old aluminum pot call that never did sound good but it has that super high pitched ear-ringing tone.  I dug it out of my junk pile this year and threw it in the car.  It seems I can cutt on it real aggressive right at dark and maybe 30 minutes past, and somewhere a gobbler will gobble at it. 

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

drenalinld

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 13, 2011, 02:58:52 PM
Quote from: guesswho on May 13, 2011, 02:57:02 PM
Quote from: LX_Trkyhntr on May 13, 2011, 02:37:14 PM
Quote from: guesswho on May 13, 2011, 12:08:19 PM
But this year I tried something different and got at least one response every afternoon I tried it.

What did you do that was different that made them gobble?
I'll post this later from my death bed :-X :)

Was it this?...

Stink, you are a riot. You can join my camp anytime!

drenalinld

Thanks, guesswho! Season's over here, but I'm going out tonight with my old alumanator, titaniumanotor,and ceramicanotor and I'm not coming home till I make one gobble! :you_rock:

pcgobbler

I was reminded the hard way when you've got a rangefinder in your vest use it!!  Also reminded of something an old school turkey hunter told me one time:  It takes three things to kill turkeys,  PATIENCE, PATIENCE, AND PATIENCE!!  Both of the birds I harvested this year were killed at midday after hunting them since midmorning.  Don't give up!

Tail Feathers

I shot a cottonwood in OK this season.  I feel your pain! :TooFunny:

I learned that I need to practice more soft calling.
I need to build a small blind in these thinned out woods.  Too hard to get a good hide in that stuff.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Kywoodsman

1. I learned that when you are almost to the property you're hunting and you hear a tornado warning come over the radio the proper response is not, "Well, sounds like some good weather to kill a bird in."

2. Even the most well staked down blind doesn't tend to want to stay staked down in 65 mile an hour straight lined winds and can lead to you holding on for dear life.

3. After my first successful turkey season I've already become a full turkey hunting addict and can for sure see myself taking vacation time off from work next year in April!

ghillie

1.  When bow hunting from a blind...to be mindful of how close you are to the front of the blind...when you release your arrow you just might deliver a perfect kill shot...to the blind that is....I did create a new "peep" hole to peer through....BTW...blinds don't flop around or bleed like a turkey...there are very tough!!!

2. KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid....don't over think it...go with your first instinct or thought

Jay

I've learned that I'd shoot more birds if I'd remember to do all the things I'm suppose to. Critical is to stake down your lightweight dekes to inable their movement on windy days. Birds will spook off from a deke spinning like a top. Wasn't that windy when I put out the deke in the morning, but I knew it was going to be. Why take the chance, put some stakes on both sides if the deke, and it will still have some movement, but not go out of control or fall off the decoy stake. I might have lost the opportunity of my highest scoring bird of all time in Kansas this year because of this. Big bird with at least 1 1/2 hooks, and great beard. Expensive screw up.

chrisun

I learned that my 6 year old son can sit still for longer than 10 mins. I learned that when I think its time to move on.......I should wait 15 more mins. I also learned that hunting with decoys really isn't something I want to do anymore.
John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

Divenut2

I learned that turkey hunting is much like crack, i.e.  one taste of turkey hunting and a guy can become instantly addicted. Secondly, I learned that I apparently have addictive tendencies.    :-\
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

schuylkillspur

I have learned no matter how long and how many birds you have killed you shouldn't get to cockey. I have 6 unfilled tags from 3 different states right now. anybody have a good recipe for tag soup.
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: Jay on May 14, 2011, 07:59:31 AM
Big bird with at least 1 1/2 hooks, and great beard. Expensive screw up.

If he was close enough to see the length of his spurs he should have been dead!  Don't forget to shoot Jay! :TooFunny:
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

njdevilsb

I learned that if you can't call a big old gobbler from his hen, stick with him for 4 hours and maybe he will decide you might be better than she is.

I also learned that sometimes getting down and dirty will lead to killing a bird.  Belly crawling through a dew soaked field for 200 yards doesn't sound fun, until that gobblers head is only 30 yards away from you.

flintlock

I learned that $4 a gallon sucks for long trips.   But, it is WELL WORTH it to get out there in God's great outdoors.

...and that my ol 100gr thunderheads and the 2F black powder still rock their world.

Good luck and I love that pine tree shot.  I know of a pig hickory with a broadhead stuck smack dab in the middle myself.  ;)

Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Gopherlongbeards

1.  Woodticks don't seem to mind 12" of snow on the ground.

2.  Turkeys hear EVERYTHING.  sometimes your "stealthy" footsteps actually add to the illusion that you're another turkey.

3.  I've learned to pay alot more attention to selecting a spot for a set up, especially in the rush following an unexpected gobble within 100 yards.  that bird might come to within 5 yards, but if you aren't set up in a good spot, you aren't going to kill him.

4.  Unlike most activities, that become less interesting, even boring as the newness wears off, turkey hunting only gets more and more addicting...