OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Learn Anything?

Started by guesswho, May 13, 2011, 12:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loner

i have always been told that life is a continuing education.after,taking many toms over the years,i still continue to learn something each season and i am 69 years old.i hope to get even smarter. ;)
just an ole' retired man that still believes in values,and common courtesy.

mmusso

Over the last two weeks I've looked back and thought about most of my hunts this year and what I could change for the future. The biggest thing I remembered on all of the close encounters or missed birds was that I was all fired up and over anxious - usually due to watching them come from a ways off and a ton of gobbling. I compared that to the 2 hunts where I was successful in taking a bird, and I remember being calm and just letting it happen. The need to force or make something happen is something I will try and change next year.

barry

Quote from: guesswho on May 13, 2011, 12:25:24 PM
Quote from: beardblaster on May 13, 2011, 12:20:49 PM
That 6 o'clock-3 o'clock thing is a tough lesson to swallow.  I learned that lesson this year after watching the biggest turk I've ever seen strutting for ten minutes at twenty yards.  After that I learned how easy it is to create new and colorful explicitives and also no matter how much you stomp a hat it still will rettain its shape.
:TooFunny: Yep!  I hear ya!  Here's the result of my lesson.  The turkey was standing just to the left of the tree.

Wow! Couple more shots and you woulda been yellin' "Timber!"

barry

After 30 some years of this I seem to love it more and more each year.
We're not as good as those "easy" birds make us think we are.

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: barry on May 13, 2011, 02:29:38 PM
We're not as good as those "easy" birds make us think we are.

:agreed:

LX_Trkyhntr

I learned that turkeys in MS are as bad as everyone had previously told me.  (I still got to walk out of the woods with one swinging over my shoulder though! :you_rock:)

Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: guesswho on May 13, 2011, 12:08:19 PM
But this year I tried something different and got at least one response every afternoon I tried it.

What did you do that was different that made them gobble?
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

drenalinld

Quote from: LX_Trkyhntr on May 13, 2011, 02:37:14 PM
But this year I tried something different and got at least one response every afternoon I tried it.

I was wondering the same thing. Like him, I have had less and less luck hearing birds gobble on the roost in the evening. I just assume it is due to lower turkey numbers and less competition. Maybe we are re-learning an old lesson. Turkey hunting secrets are not secrets when you share them. lol

chatterbox

I have learned to think and adapt on a changing situation, instead of sticking with the same bad game plan that stuck me where I was to start with!
Also, I learned that I really, really, really, really hate them!

FANMAN

:character0029: I learned when you tune your gun to throw an awesome pattern at 50yds, every shot opportunity you get will be at 15yds. :character0029:

guesswho

I'll post this later from my death bed :-X :)
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

stinkpickle

Quote from: guesswho on May 13, 2011, 02:57:02 PM

Was it this?...

wvboy

That I still have not killed enough Turkeys yet .. maybe some day I will be able to let that ole longbeard walk away without a shot fired when he is dead to rights, like in the "Old Pro turkey Hunter" but I have not made it there yet :)
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

chatterbox

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 13, 2011, 02:58:52 PM
Quote from: guesswho on May 13, 2011, 02:57:02 PM

Was it this?...

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Jay Longhauser

I learned that I get just as much if not more enjoyment from smacking turkeys with a 20 gauge as I do a 12 gauge.