turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Oklahoma public Land hunt

Started by JohnSouth22, April 11, 2020, 12:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dzsmith

I guess there could be some validity to that. This particular man and other farmers in the area believed it was an "eye worm"...I don't know what that is, not my words just his. But they had witnessed some behavior from birds that appeared to be "blind" according to them....probably a wives tale but interesting none the less.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

JMalin

Heading up today.  Hopefully I'll have something good to report.  I've certainly got the time to get them figured out.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: dzsmith on April 22, 2020, 01:22:20 AM
I guess there could be some validity to that. This particular man and other farmers in the area believed it was an "eye worm"...I don't know what that is, not my words just his. But they had witnessed some behavior from birds that appeared to be "blind" according to them....probably a wives tale but interesting none the less.
Seems it is the real deal, I am still reading but it can affect domestic turkeys but do not know for sure if wild turkeys are also affected, I will learn more later or you can read it yourself. https://www.chickenwhisperermagazine.com/health-and-wellness/do-your-fowl-have-mansons-eyeworm
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

dzsmith

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 22, 2020, 06:13:08 PM
Quote from: dzsmith on April 22, 2020, 01:22:20 AM
Seems it is the real deal, I am still reading but it can affect domestic turkeys but do not know for sure if wild turkeys are also affected, I will learn more later or you can read it yourself. https://www.chickenwhisperermagazine.com/health-and-wellness/do-your-fowl-have-mansons-eyeworm

oh wow...I didn't even know that was a real thing. I guess it is.

JMalin

There's standing water all over western Oklahoma right now.  I'll have to come back and hunt two years from now.  Struggling so far.  Waurika was flooded.  Canton didn't produce a gobble, hen yelp, or track.  I probably should have just stayed where I started (south central).  At least I saw a little sign and heard a couple gobbles (mosquito infested though).  Giving one more WMA out west a shot, and the its back east for me.  I'd rather get my butt handed to me by easterns that are few and far between in SE Oklahoma then to struggle with Rios out west.  I have plenty of them in Texas and just wanted to extend my season since tagging out at home.

zeke632

The Oklahoma Wildlife Dept isn't going to do much as far as turkeys are concerned until hunters start getting vocal.  In SE Ok they are more interested in putting all of their money & studies in a thriving black bear population. 
A lot of the public lands in SE Oklahoma are void of turkeys, places where they used to thrive.  I was told by a biologist for the department that numbers, state wide are holding there own. By what I'm reading here that's not the case. 

dzsmith

thriving in pockets maybe.......its the same in most places with a declining population.

JMalin

Was able to tag a bird this morning.

JMalin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgard

JMalin

Felt like I've done more driving than hunting.  My impression is that there just aren't a whole lot of birds out there.  I've driven all over the state the last few days and have seen next to nothing in what appears to be great looking turkey country.

jgard

Been my experience as well herein Oklahoma   Have several places. One is 5000 acres that no one hunts and people live on it. No birds. Think we have had very poor hatches the last three years

JMalin

What birds are there in the western third of the state should have a great hatch this year, setting up some good hunting a couple years from now.  I'm thrilled to have gotten on one.  Now it's time to see what southeast Oklahoma is all about.

jgard

North east Oklahoma isn't real easy right now either. Se Oklahoma is going to be a challenge. Good luck

JMalin

Struggling indeed.  Didn't hear a bird gobble after 9:00 AM and I was out there all day.  The bird I did get on this morning gobbled good on his own, but as soon as I setup and called to him, he shut up.  Happened twice.  Couldn't stay with him after the second time he went quiet.  Gave him an hour before giving up.