turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

YouTube and public land

Started by PaytonWP, April 11, 2020, 11:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomfoolery

Anyone thought that maybe they posted the road number as a diversion tactic? Gave shots of a city by a different wma than they were actually hunting? This could have been the diversion/troll tactic to keep people away from their honey holes! It's all a conspiracy!  :z-dizzy:

eggshell

I have mixed feelings on this. I do agree that it's careless to just throw out obvious "giveaways" as to location, because there should be at least a minimum expectation of doing some of your own recon. It seems to me to do that by simply taking advantage of someones error in posting informative content is debateably and symbolically theft of information unless it is expressed as public. I don't worry about it myself. I have done a ton of leg work in the past and will do more. I am constantly looking for ground. Hey if I want information I ask for it. Even out of state people in restaurants and places are always telling me, "I see turkeys in that field down the road every day". My first question is, "who owns it".  Just last spring this happened and I asked that question and they pointed to an old man across the room. I waited until he was free and approached him and asked if I might talk to him. He was kind of grumpy, but snortted
"whatta ya want". I asked if he ever allowed turkey hunting and he snortted again, "NO". it was funny there was a yard sale right by the business and I walked over there, as did he. I ended up buying an antique piece of stoneware form what turned out to be his wife. A conversation started up and you know what. He told us to go kill us a couple turkeys and we did. This is how you do your homework, not on the internet. Now we returned last fall and he said we could hunt again. I wouldn't willingly betray that trust by giving away information that would allow someone to find that old man and harass him. If by chance I did and someone caused a problem with him, I'd be upset that I betrayed him. I will never intentionally poach another man's spot that he did not freely give up the information to. To me it's a matter of morals. I have helped many people who had the moral fortitude to simply ask me for help.

TauntoHawk

You can log on at any time and see posts claiming hunting has been or is being ruined by locals, non residents, young hunters, old hunters, disrespectful hunters, youtubers, TV "pros", season dates, leasing, internet forums, owl hooting, instagram, reaping, facebook, crawling, calling wrong, Chinese manufactured goods, the government, insurance agencies, bag limits, predators, COVID-19, timber companies, burns, the lack of burns, food plots, lack of habitat work, owls, baiting, wet springs.

Point being  :welcomeOG:

People are always going to complain and blame I mean look around at our nation right now! But, as far as filmed hunting is concerned you can go back just a few years ago and read thread after thread about how the hunting shows had completely lost touch, gimmicks, tricks, pushed products and unsafe tactics ruled the day. Hunts took place from blinds on giant managed properties owned by millionaire's and we called it unrealistic, we balked and said come to my state and try that, come do that on public land you won't be able to just sit in your blind and watch 5 toms flog your remote control ugly hoochie hen decoy. So the age of youtube and public land began for filmed entertainment, real guys going to real places killing real turkeys. Now the public cries ah too close to home, hey that's where I hunt, stop making it look easy enough everyone will want to try, stop shooting my birds that I claimed where the hardest ever.

About the specific group being named, remember the buck nest in their home state which was later completely over run by hunters due to their own videos. What did they do, go find where the deer went or new spots if hunters had become focused on one spot then they knew there were other over looked spots that now held deer. If a gate number means increased pressure next season the birds will relocate and if they relocate the locals will have the leg up and finding them first like always.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

eggshell

gosh taunto I am probably in at least 8-10 of those categories, but hey griping makes me feel better. I think a lot of what is said here is just unfettered emotion and the grace of anonymity. A venting of hot air in other terms. I have learned a lot more here than I've taken offense to. That doesn't mean we aren't all offended at times or doing the offending, but it's a great forum to share on and I'm glad we have it. In 5 years the same old things will still be said and we'll hopefully all still enjoy turkey hunting

g8rvet

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

tha bugman

I started filming hunts back in 1993, and I am still filming today.  I do it now for the same reason I started doing it back then.  Its about recording the memories with my friends and family. 

dirtnap

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 14, 2020, 02:09:34 PM

You can log on at any time and see posts claiming hunting has been or is being ruined by locals, non residents, young hunters, old hunters, disrespectful hunters, youtubers, TV "pros", season dates, leasing, internet forums, owl hooting, instagram, reaping, facebook, crawling, calling wrong, Chinese manufactured goods, the government, insurance agencies, bag limits, predators, COVID-19, timber companies, burns, the lack of burns, food plots, lack of habitat work, owls, baiting, wet springs.

People are always going to complain and blame I mean look around at our  right now! But, as far as filmed hunting is concerned you can go back just a few years ago and read thread after thread about how the hunting shows had completely lost touch, gimmicks, tricks, pushed products and unsafe tactics ruled the day. Hunts took place from blinds on giant managed properties owned by millionaire's and we called it unrealistic, we balked and said come to my state and try that, come do that on public land you won't be able to just sit in your blind and watch 5 toms flog your remote control ugly hoochie hen decoy. So the age of youtube and public land began for filmed entertainment, real guys going to real places killing real turkeys. Now the public cries ah too close to home, hey that's where I hunt, stop making it look easy enough everyone will want to try, stop shooting my birds that I claimed where the hardest ever.

About the specific group being named, remember the buck nest in their home state which was later completely over run by hunters due to their own videos. What did they do, go find where the deer went or new spots if hunters had become focused on one spot then they knew there were other over looked spots that now held deer. If a gate number means increased pressure next season the birds will relocate and if they relocate the locals will have the leg up and finding them first like always.

This is pretty accurate right here.

dzsmith

People are always going to complain and blame I mean look around at our  right now! But, as far as filmed hunting is concerned you can go back just a few years ago and read thread after thread about how the hunting shows had completely lost touch, gimmicks, tricks, pushed products and unsafe tactics ruled the day. Hunts took place from blinds on giant managed properties owned by millionaire's and we called it unrealistic, we balked and said come to my state and try that, come do that on public land you won't be able to just sit in your blind and watch 5 toms flog your remote control ugly hoochie hen decoy. So the age of youtube and public land began for filmed entertainment, real guys going to real places killing real turkeys. Now the public cries ah too close to home, hey that's where I hunt, stop making it look easy enough everyone will want to try, stop shooting my birds that I claimed where the hardest ever.

you know I didn't really think about it like that. you are right....absolutely right.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

gdc23

We have the same thing with fishing a certain location on Cape Cod, once social media puts the word out its destroyed, it has got to the point where police had to be involved due to arguements, and threats over fishing spots. The younger generation comes in gangs and pushes the regulars out of the spots. They have a love of posing for trophy shots and posting them online to attract many others...they are just so full of themselves. Social media will eventually ruin most hunting and fishing

brittman

Thinking about this a little more deeply and I get the whole public land success bit.  There are many more hunters that can relate.

Plenty of hunting shows are based on places with individual private land ownership and leases.  If they venture off their home place they hunt with outfitters ... sometimes near (often unseen) feeders.   Trail cams make scouting more productive than ever.   It certainly still hunting and the person still has to make the shot, but many simply cannot relate.

kytrkyhntr

Facts
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

guesswho

If you have ever chimed in on any of the various tactics and equipment threads and said,  "hey, it's legal so go for it", I would apply that here as well.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

g8rvet

Quote from: guesswho on April 15, 2020, 02:48:14 PM
If you have ever chimed in on any of the various tactics and equipment threads and said,  "hey, it's legal so go for it", I would apply that here as well.

Oh, no doubt.  We are all hypocrites, even though most will not admit it.  Unless you hunt in a loin cloth using an atl atl (I will allow a rock as well).  Then you are REALLY old fashioned.  None of those new fangled bows, or pants, or calls, etc.   :angel9:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

POk3s

I might as well throw my 2 cents in here as well. I mean it's obvious we have nothing better to do. It's also obvious that the quarantine has taken effect on some of your brains and attitudes ;)

I watch THP, catman, Dave, and Shane, presumably, like everyone else. I found thp by getting hooked on cabelas spring thunder on youtube and then seeing the same face with THP along with seeing a post on here about how awesome it was to have a breath of fresh air in outdoor entertainment. NOT ONE OF YOU DISAGREED! It was unanimous as to how great it was to have a show like that accessible by all of us. Now, not 3 years later, they're getting bashed by the same folks who praised them. It's actually quite sad. Again, I'll contribute it to being cooped up in your houses too long and not thinking clearly.

I've been a public land hunter my entire life and am always keeping an eye on what other people show for the reasons you guys mentioned. It's not fair to the local or any other outdoorsmen who use that area. I try to be as respectful as I can in new areas for that very reason when it comes to social media or any of my sub par YouTube videos. I've actually been yelled at more than once about NOT showing what bait I'm using or where I'm at. It's quite comical really. However, I'll admit that the gate number went right over my head. I live in Wyoming and gate numbers don't exist so I never gave it a thought. Things get missed and I highly doubt they did that on purpose. They know their following and know how secret to try and keep things. However, it's tough to produce a watchable video without adding in b roll and snapshots of the full story. Scenery does that the best and it's hard to hide it. Also, they're trying to basically hunt and edit everything within a day's time. I don't think anybody is going over it with a fine tooth comb before they hit upload. That blame they can probably take as just "missing one". I guess what I'm getting at is give them a break. It's not as easy at it seems, especially when you reach the level hear guys are on.

Back to the public land hunting, if you're going to be great at it, you better know how to counter punch. In my own little world, if somebody mistakingly showed a gate number, you can bet your last dollar I WONT be going there. I would rather gamble on the fact that that place will be pressured hard but other places, in return, will be pressured less. Not to mention I'd be embarrassed as hell if the next weekend or the next year I ran into catman in the woods and had to tell him how I poached his spot because of his YouTube video. It just seems too low and unethical to me.

To touch on social media it's a very slippery slope as most have realized. I Have been known to show a little gamesmanship and mislead the Internet scouters. Whether that's driving 10 miles down my local 91 mile reservoir to take a picture with my limit of fish, or whether it's posting a scenery shot from a backcountry hunt from a scouting trip in August that was a bust, and not from where I killed that elk. Once enough people figure out a hot spot it's time to go find another hot spot. It's part of the adventure and what keeps hunting fun for me.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: POk3s on April 15, 2020, 06:05:38 PM
I might as well throw my 2 cents in here as well. I mean it's obvious we have nothing better to do. It's also obvious that the quarantine has taken effect on some of your brains and attitudes ;)

I watch THP, catman, Dave, and Shane, presumably, like everyone else. I found thp by getting hooked on cabelas spring thunder on youtube and then seeing the same face with THP along with seeing a post on here about how awesome it was to have a breath of fresh air in outdoor entertainment. NOT ONE OF YOU DISAGREED! It was unanimous as to how great it was to have a show like that accessible by all of us. Now, not 3 years later, they're getting bashed by the same folks who praised them. It's actually quite sad. Again, I'll contribute it to being cooped up in your houses too long and not thinking clearly.

I've been a public land hunter my entire life and am always keeping an eye on what other people show for the reasons you guys mentioned. It's not fair to the local or any other outdoorsmen who use that area. I try to be as respectful as I can in new areas for that very reason when it comes to social media or any of my sub par YouTube videos. I've actually been yelled at more than once about NOT showing what bait I'm using or where I'm at. It's quite comical really. However, I'll admit that the gate number went right over my head. I live in Wyoming and gate numbers don't exist so I never gave it a thought. Things get missed and I highly doubt they did that on purpose. They know their following and know how secret to try and keep things. However, it's tough to produce a watchable video without adding in b roll and snapshots of the full story. Scenery does that the best and it's hard to hide it. Also, they're trying to basically hunt and edit everything within a day's time. I don't think anybody is going over it with a fine tooth comb before they hit upload. That blame they can probably take as just "missing one". I guess what I'm getting at is give them a break. It's not as easy at it seems, especially when you reach the level hear guys are on.

Back to the public land hunting, if you're going to be great at it, you better know how to counter punch. In my own little world, if somebody mistakingly showed a gate number, you can bet your last dollar I WONT be going there. I would rather gamble on the fact that that place will be pressured hard but other places, in return, will be pressured less. Not to mention I'd be embarrassed as hell if the next weekend or the next year I ran into catman in the woods and had to tell him how I poached his spot because of his YouTube video. It just seems too low and unethical to me.

To touch on social media it's a very slippery slope as most have realized. I Have been known to show a little gamesmanship and mislead the Internet scouters. Whether that's driving 10 miles down my local 91 mile reservoir to take a picture with my limit of fish, or whether it's posting a scenery shot from a backcountry hunt from a scouting trip in August that was a bust, and not from where I killed that elk. Once enough people figure out a hot spot it's time to go find another hot spot. It's part of the adventure and what keeps hunting fun for me.

When the THP and Penhoti project first started it was a new and most would say better version of the hunting shows. Now 3 years in most aren't worth the time anymore. THP filming dusting hens being shot and the other goofy ness that wasn't part of the early shows, and then there's the crawling project not much better. Point is things change and not always for the better. You must be star struck or near sited the gate filming wasn't a passing shot or back ground footage everybody but you and Ray Charles saw it lol. And on top of the filming and giving away locations several people have posted about them parking right next to them on this forum and others. I guess if I only got to hunt 3 days a season or maybe had trouble killing one Gobbler every other year I'd be enamored by the Youtubers but to me there just other Turkey hunters except they have the attention of all the fan boys that can cause issues if careless. This whole thread has been about feelings and opinions lol.
   What about the locals that only have time to hunt close to home which just happens to be in the area they drawing attention too? Wonder what they think of your feelings and opinions, cause nobody cares about theirs.

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?