OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

YouTube and public land

Started by PaytonWP, April 11, 2020, 11:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HillclimberWV

Quote from: Stoeger_bird on March 05, 2021, 11:10:34 PM
Oh and it was YANAHLI WMA catman destroyed!
Thank you for proving my point that you are a hypocrite that doesn't operate in good faith.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

GobbleNut

Quote from: aclawrence on March 05, 2021, 11:47:25 PM
Facebook is the worst.   There's so much ignorant stuff posted on Facebook. Some of the posters just don't understand they are screwing themselves.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep,...From what I have seen, Facebook discussions and comments by people that just don't know any better are by far the worst problem.  In my home state, there are multiple "groups" of hunters, as well as individuals, that will post information and pictures and name specific locations as if they think nobody besides them and their buddies will ever see it.  I cringe every time I see that kind of stuff,...and I am not even looking for it! 

I suspect there are Facebook (and other social media "pages") all over the country where "friends" do the same thing.  YouTubers are like the CIA compared to those guys!   >:(  :z-dizzy:

greencop01

This is just my opinion so here goes. Its called Public Land for a reason. Its not in state residents only its OPEN PUBLIC LAND. Even in my state of Massachusetts public land sometime gets heavy pressure but I have back up public land spots and sometimes in places so obvious no one hunts there but myself and a friend and we almost always get a bird or two. Find back up places to hunt. All I hear are people talking about public land like its their spot. Hello its PUBLIC LAND. Find back up spots and be like those 'You Tube' hunters and get in back country.
         Bottom line is get some more spots and do some work to get your bird. Even with a bum rt foot I usually get a bird or two almost every year. I hike slower but maybe that's why I find birds. Get out there and scout.  Everyone has a right to public land. And hey, if they say where they are hunting that means less pressure on other Public Land areas nearby, 'cause everyone wants to go to a you tube spot. Just my  :z-twocents:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

arkrem870

Gobblers aren't an unlimited resource...... more and more people traveling will only lead to fewer gobbler numbers, greater hunting pressure/competition, and more restrictions/regulations.  We've seen this play out already and know it's coming.  Just something to take into consideration. 

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: The Southpaw on March 06, 2021, 07:05:34 AM
Every time I check back on this thread it just makes me sadder, and sadder. I'm literally considering disconnecting my account because I don't want to be associated with the victim mentality that has been shown on this forum. I simply don't understand why people are crying about more people being in the woods. If you would take that energy and apply it to scouting new pieces, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Because you dont agree with people having a debate over what many view as a important topic you may disconnect your account? Really ? Wow. You must not go to any other forums because if you did then you would see this is light compared to many others. Go to Archery talk. Thats a prime example.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Happy

Quote from: arkrem870 on March 06, 2021, 09:57:42 AM
Gobblers aren't an unlimited resource...... more and more people traveling will only lead to fewer gobbler numbers, greater hunting pressure/competition, and more restrictions/regulations.  We've seen this play out already and know it's coming.  Just something to take into consideration.
This is more my take on it. I have zero emotions over the utube movement. I have seen some positives and some negatives from it. To be honest at first I saw more positives when Dave started filming without decoys and fans on public ground. I really didn't realize what a monkey see-monkey do world we live in these days and the results down the road. My only real concern is how it plays out for the wild turkey. Still no anger from me towards anyone and I really am not accusing anyone of being a bad person. Pretty sure I could sit with Dave, Catman or the THP fellows and we would get along fine.Not that I agree with everything they do but I can't say I have agreed with everything I have done. Sounds like they have heard the concerns and time will tell how it is handled and what matters most. I just hope someday people can figure out who they are and what they want to strive for and be happy with it. No need for likes or followers or a need for attention. Thats just an observation on the internet in general.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Spurs Up

You can bet an outcome of popularizing travel for out-of-state turkey hunts through videos will be states imposing more and more restrictions on out-of-state hunters. Probably in the form of increased license fees and fewer tags. It won't entirely be the you-tubers' fault, but they will have had a hand in it.

SD_smith

Quote from: greencop01 on March 06, 2021, 09:49:50 AM
This is just my opinion so here goes. Its called Public Land for a reason. Its not in state residents only its OPEN PUBLIC LAND. Even in my state of Massachusetts public land sometime gets heavy pressure but I have back up public land spots and sometimes in places so obvious no one hunts there but myself and a friend and we almost always get a bird or two. Find back up places to hunt. All I hear are people talking about public land like its their spot. Hello its PUBLIC LAND. Find back up spots and be like those 'You Tube' hunters and get in back country.
         Bottom line is get some more spots and do some work to get your bird. Even with a bum rt foot I usually get a bird or two almost every year. I hike slower but maybe that's why I find birds. Get out there and scout.  Everyone has a right to public land. And hey, if they say where they are hunting that means less pressure on other Public Land areas nearby, 'cause everyone wants to go to a you tube spot. Just my  :z-twocents:
So what backup places are you gonna find in Florida? Or in the southeast in general? Not having heavy amounts of competition all season really only applies to some western states and some northeastern states. Have you hunted South Florida recently? Maybe 10 pieces of public land total within 3-4 hour drive. Pretty naive to think it's as simple as finding another place when most everything down in south Florida is on a quota draw system.

The Southpaw

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 06, 2021, 10:05:21 AM
Quote from: The Southpaw on March 06, 2021, 07:05:34 AM
Every time I check back on this thread it just makes me sadder, and sadder. I'm literally considering disconnecting my account because I don't want to be associated with the victim mentality that has been shown on this forum. I simply don't understand why people are crying about more people being in the woods. If you would take that energy and apply it to scouting new pieces, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Because you dont agree with people having a debate over what many view as a important topic you may disconnect your account? Really ? Wow. You must not go to any other forums because if you did then you would see this is light compared to many others. Go to Archery talk. Thats a prime example.
You're right, I have pretty much deactivated all of my accounts on other forums because I am sick of the arguing amongst hunters, especially when it is basically just complaining about things that aren't going to change. Like it or not, public land hunting on youtube isn't going away. Having someone in "your" spot might suck, but getting upset about it and bashing youtubers on a forum isn't going to help. That's my two cents at least. If you disagree, that's fine.

CAPTJJ

I'm hunting south FL public land right now, In fact I have hunted turkeys in several states and never have many issues. Some like to complain, others adapt

arkrem870

I wish everyone here a safe and successful turkey season. The time we wait for all year is upon us.....spring 2021. Remember though. Turkey hunting is sacred. Turkey hunting is special. It's NOT about the Likes. It's NOT about the money.  Never was. Hold tight and squeeze slow.

Big Jeremy

I'll be on public land in at least two states this year. I hope to run into some of you guys and have positive interactions. It would be good to put faces with some names.

Howie g

Quote from: arkrem870 on March 07, 2021, 07:03:49 PM
I wish everyone here a safe and successful turkey season. The time we wait for all year is upon us.....spring 2021. Remember though. Turkey hunting is sacred. Turkey hunting is special. It's NOT about the Likes. It's NOT about the money.  Never was. Hold tight and squeeze slow.
Same to ya , our youth season starts tmro . Can't wait to introduce the spring to my son for the lst time ! Hope he loves and respects the hunt as I have ...

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Howie g on March 07, 2021, 08:43:56 PM
Quote from: arkrem870 on March 07, 2021, 07:03:49 PM
Same to ya , our youth season starts tmro . Can't wait to introduce the spring to my son for the lst time ! Hope he loves and respects the hunt as I have ...

Good luck to you. I will be taking my boy out a few times for his fiest Spring season.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

CAPTJJ

Ran into some well-known public YouTubers on a popular WMA in Florida... they didn't last 24 hours.