OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

YouTube and public land

Started by PaytonWP, April 11, 2020, 11:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

One day the grandson visited grandma in the backwoods. She still heated with a wood stove and had an outhouse. when the grandson had to use the bathroom he griped about the outhouse and not long later he griped about it being to cold in the house. Then he griped grandma didn't have satellite or cable, then he griped she didn't have internet.

Finally grandma spoke up and said, I have shLt in that outhouse for 70 years and I'm no worse for wear, but it would be nice to not have to go out there in winter or blazing heat. Tell you what, I'll pay for the materials if you'll build me a new fangled bathroom, all she got was a mumbled reply, Then grandma said if your cold there is a pile of wood out back that needs brought in. She also said there's a chain saw and maul in the shed to cut more. Next she said, "if i want something to watch I sit in the swing on the porch and watch nature. She also said, I don't need to know what my neighbor is doing today unless I see him in my garden. So here are your options dear child, quit griping and get to work or go home, I am tired of you ruining my peace.

HillclimberWV

I'm new to this forum so i know my opinion is not worth much but a couple things i would like to comment on.
First i found this thread because of a thp podcast where this very topic was discussed and how they have to approach things going forward. So they are actively talking about this among their community.
Second i have watched and enjoy all of thp pinhoti and catmans videos. With that said i have learned more about the specifics on what wma's they have hunted from this thread than i have from any of their videos. I found this thread with 1 simple google search so some of the posts in this thread are at least as "harmful" as those youtube videos. The irony of people complaining about information being shared through social media on a social media platform whose sole purpose is to share information is palpable.
The other thing i think that hasn't been discussed is more hunters on public land mean more people that have an investment in retaining our public lands.  I may be in the minority but i think the greatest threat to public land hunting will be those lands getting sold off and leased to corporations.  However if there are more people hunting those lands mean more people voting to retain said lands.

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Pluffmud

Quote from: HillclimberWV on March 05, 2021, 09:03:15 AM
I'm new to this forum so i know my opinion is not worth much but a couple things i would like to comment on.
First i found this thread because of a thp podcast where this very topic was discussed and how they have to approach things going forward. So they are actively talking about this among their community.
Second i have watched and enjoy all of thp pinhoti and catmans videos. With that said i have learned more about the specifics on what wma's they have hunted from this thread than i have from any of their videos. I found this thread with 1 simple google search so some of the posts in this thread are at least as "harmful" as those youtube videos. The irony of people complaining about information being shared through social media on a social media platform whose sole purpose is to share information is palpable.
The other thing i think that hasn't been discussed is more hunters on public land mean more people that have an investment in retaining our public lands.  I may be in the minority but i think the greatest threat to public land hunting will be those lands getting sold off and leased to corporations.  However if there are more people hunting those lands mean more people voting to retain said lands.

I agree on more hunters is good. What is not good is our access is being removed. Im on another forum for waterfowl. Those guys are always scheeming up ideas to remove opportunities from hunters in order to reduce pressure. Ill say it til im blue in the face... The number of hunters isnt the problem. We need more hunters to protect our sport. If you keep on regulating people out of opportunities, there will be no hunters left, and hunters will be outnumbered and have no leg left to stand on when they come to take it from us. What we NEED to be focusing on is increasing access and opportunities for hunters, and bringing more people INTO the sport. Until we realise that and act on it, we will continue to see our sport decline.
Psalm 46:10

HillclimberWV

Couldn't agree more Pluffmud

Stoeger_bird

Would anyone be talking it about or posting on forums if they had made it less obvious where they were hunting in their vids? How hard is it say a region like southeast or midwest instead of namimg a state? Hell I've seen some of them show campsites and road sign in the b roll! Would just naming a freaking region make the video less enjoyable for you? Mam some of yall fan boys really love  u some youtubers!
T.W.D.W.D.

HillclimberWV

Quote from: Stoeger_bird on March 05, 2021, 01:10:11 PM
Would anyone be talking it about or posting on forums if they had made it less obvious where they were hunting in their vids? How hard is it say a region like southeast or midwest instead of namimg a state? Hell I've seen some of them show campsites and road sign in the b roll! Would just naming a freaking region make the video less enjoyable for you? Mam some of yall fan boys really love  u some youtubers!
Yes i do like that they tell what state they are in because i get to learn not about the exact location but of the terrain that a state can offer. Personally i think its stupid to try and find the exact spots these guys hunt and never did understand the sneaking mentality of trying to move in on another hunters spot. I also never understood the old guys who just because they have hunted a location for years think they own it when its PUBLIC land.
Lastly if you've ever told a soul where you have killed birds than your nothing but a hypocrite and id rather be a "fanboy" than that

Brad_Colvin

I've been lurking and reading this thread for a while and I find it quite amusing. First off I will admit that I'm 49 years old and have been hunting turkeys for 23 years. I watch most all of the YouTube channels mentioned here because it's entertainment. I would bet that most guys who have posted on here probably bought every Primos, Knight and Hale, HS Strut dvd ever produced. I would go further and bet most have said "I'd like to see those guys do that where I hunt" or "try calling to my turkeys like that". Personally I much prefer the type of content that is available now over the constant pimping of crutches and gadgets that was so prevalent in the old dvd's. Most of the YouTube guys put more emphasis on the adventure and the pursuit rather than the kill. It gives me hope for the future of this great sport that so many people are watching this type of hunting. I don't know if I agree that anything is being exploited, but if it is I would rather see the land being exploited than the bird itself like so many of the big companies did for years. I've hunted public land mostly as long as I've been turkey hunting. I lived and hunted in Florida until 5 years ago when I moved to NC. Florida has always been a zoo long before any videos were ever made. These are just a few of my thoughts on this subject.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Stoeger_bird

Quote from: HillclimberWV on March 05, 2021, 04:02:43 PM
Quote from: Stoeger_bird on March 05, 2021, 01:10:11 PM
Yes i do like that they tell what state they are in because i get to learn not about the exact location but of the terrain that a state can offer. Personally i think its stupid to try and find the exact spots these guys hunt and never did understand the sneaking mentality of trying to move in on another hunters spot. I also never understood the old guys who just because they have hunted a location for years think they own it when its PUBLIC land.
Lastly if you've ever told a soul where you have killed birds than your nothing but a hypocrite and id rather be a "fanboy" than that
Yes since me telling a few trusted friends that share the same views as I do and sharing stuff on a social media platform for thousands upon thousands to view is exactly the same. And no matter how stupid u think it is for people to try and find spots be watching youtube videos it still happens a lot! Those are the people that will find a spot and run their mouths. Oh and I can 100% guarantee I can go back to the spots I've shared with people and the only people hunting those spots are people who found it on their own or the 1 or 2 people i did share it with. Thats what real turkey hunters do. They keep stuff to themselves. Not to be selfish but out of respect for the resource and other hunters in the areas. These days people have to blast everything on social media to get validation. I would rather have one well respected turkey killer know Im a good hunter rather then thousands of likes and views to make me think I am.
T.W.D.W.D.

catman529

Seems people here don't want to acknowledge the big issue you just mentioned...name dropping in forums. The biggest mistake I ever made was name dropping in a forum, back when I first started hunting and killed my first few turkey and deer. Forum posts can be found within a minute or less via Google search. A YouTube video takes some digging to find info, and that all depends on how the video was produced and how much it showed.

I've been talking with Zach a lot about the topic recently, and I can tell y'all for a fact that we never intended to expose specific tracts of public land to the world. The goal is to provide relatable hunting content and try to teach people about hunting and the great outdoors and keep the tradition going. Some mistakes were made along the way, and I apologize for any that were made on my channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: catman529 on March 05, 2021, 10:01:40 PM
Seems people here don't want to acknowledge the big issue you just mentioned...name dropping in forums. The biggest mistake I ever made was name dropping in a forum, back when I first started hunting and killed my first few turkey and deer. Forum posts can be found within a minute or less via Google search. A YouTube video takes some digging to find info, and that all depends on how the video was produced and how much it showed.

I've been talking with Zach a lot about the topic recently, and I can tell y'all for a fact that we never intended to expose specific tracts of public land to the world. The goal is to provide relatable hunting content and try to teach people about hunting and the great outdoors and keep the tradition going. Some mistakes were made along the way, and I apologize for any that were made on my channel.

If the person in this thread who specifically name dropped spots cared at all about this topic they'd at the very least go back and edit those posts to remove those names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoeger_bird

Quote from: catman529 on March 05, 2021, 10:01:40 PM

Why don't yall get together and discuss not naming states in the vids? Just name a region like southeast or midwest? Yall can't  do that because when someone googles " turkey hunting in blank state" u want ur vids to be found. Thats because first and foremost yall care about likes, views, and follows more than anything. U can "keep the tradition going" or "teach people about hunting" without name dropping states in ur vids.
T.W.D.W.D.

Stoeger_bird

Oh and it was YANAHLI WMA catman destroyed!
T.W.D.W.D.

turkeyfool

Catmans a good guy and he does what he does because he loves it. I have no issue with that. I've learned a thing or two about hunting ridges that drop into steep bottoms from watching his stuff. One thing I will say (and full disclosure I have screwed up and name dropped two states here in the past so I'm not immune to this) is that in some cases, I do think it would be a good idea to say a region. The reason I say that is because I've seen Nebraska get hit really hard over the last few years because of so much publicity. The black hills is getting a ton of it. And when I heard Aaron name drop a certain northeast state that they'll be going to this year, I was a little rattled. I live near this northeast state and hunt it every year. Last year, there were guys who drove 20+ hours to hunt these states and I'm seeing more and more of a trend of that. Not saying that I have the privilege to hunt that state and they don't because I live in the region, but I am seeing a trend of a lot of Arkansas plates all over the entire northern part of the country in May. I get it, Arkansas sucks. I wrestle back and forth with this because maybe I'm being a hypocrite but aside from specific WMAs, there's a loooot of guys traveling far to hunt these states in May. Just my $.02 as to why I wouldn't mind hearing regions

aclawrence

I think the idea that some of these guys are doing it for the likes is asinine.  Dave or Catman would change very little about their hunting if YouTube went away tomorrow. It seems we all agree that THP is the most guilty party in all of this. Why don't some of you start sending them messages and put some pressure on them. They have given away a location right next to me also. It doesn't seem like they make much of an effort to hide details. The details don't add any value to their videos so they could take them out. I listened to Zach on his podcast and he says one thing but it doesn't align with how much they've shared in their videos.  Catman is right about name dropping in these forums. Also Facebook is the worst. I saw a post today where people in a big Facebook group were giving out all kinds of specifics in turkey hunting areas in Mississippi. I think some of the YouTube guys should tackle this topic head on and use their influence to teach people to not share so much. There's so much ignorant stuff posted on Facebook. Some of the posters just don't understand they are screwing themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Southpaw

Every time I check back on this thread it just makes me sadder, and sadder. I'm literally considering disconnecting my account because I don't want to be associated with the victim mentality that has been shown on this forum. I simply don't understand why people are crying about more people being in the woods. If you would take that energy and apply it to scouting new pieces, you wouldn't have to worry about it.