OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

YouTube and public land

Started by PaytonWP, April 11, 2020, 11:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simpzenith

Quote from: silent tom on February 17, 2021, 12:51:22 PM
Wait and see. If you don't think they can be overhunted, you probably didn't see firsthand what happened to Kansas in the last 10 years.

Wisconsin basically has a quota system for the entire state, divided into 7 zones. Once a certain amount of tags are sold, they're done selling tags. Hard to over hunt them if tags are limited and the number of tags sold are adjusted each year to even further prevent over harvest.

silent tom

Quote from: simpzenith on February 17, 2021, 01:27:45 PM
Wait and see. If you don't think they can be overhunted, you probably didn't see firsthand what happened to Kansas in the last 10 years.

Wisconsin basically has a quota system for the entire state, divided into 7 zones. Once a certain amount of tags are sold, they're done selling tags. Hard to over hunt them if tags are limited and the number of tags sold are adjusted each year to even further prevent over harvest.
Correct- with the last couple of seasons having extremely liberal tag allotments that aren't purchased. Like I said, time will tell and you won't like the outcome.

redleg06

Quote from: simpzenith on February 17, 2021, 01:27:45 PM

The problem with that is the state is basing their quota/ number of tags on the state/regional population, not just a given piece of public land.  In other words, if they aren't specifying that someone could only take X number of birds off of a given piece of public ground, then, in theory, you could kill all the birds off a given section of public and still be within the quota.  If the added applications are primarily from out of state or out of area hunters, the majority of your hunting is going to be concentrated on the public land and not spread out evenly across the area to include the private land also.

It just doesnt take that many extra pairs of boots in the woods to turn a real good place in to a marginal place. 

Dtrkyman

Hunters are a minority in this county, weather or not "your" spot is getting too much pressure.

With the clown show running this country we need anyone and everyone out hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Quote from: simpzenith on February 17, 2021, 12:28:56 PM
Quote from: silent tom on February 17, 2021, 11:50:29 AM
Dave Owens alluded to in his previous post in this thread about the need to be conservation minded.
It's not a secret that he pimped out Wisconsin possibly beyond repair.  In his series, he made a couple comments about Wisconsin "being his kind of state" in a separate video and "$15 dollar tags" at the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqCd6wgxngk.
This video was put out prior to last season, but after the permit deadline for Wisconsin. Guess what guys and girls, read the "Attention" note on this link: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/hunt/turkey.
Any of you think this is a coincidence? Does this follow a conservation minded mindset??? Answer that one.

I'm sure Dave's videos influenced a few hunters to apply for Wisconsin but I seriously doubt it was a major contributor.
Covid is the real culprit. Wisconsin sells leftover tags and most folks don't bother to apply for the draw (it save themselves application fees) because they know leftover tags are available. Because of Covid and everyone being out of work, Wisconsin and every other state in the  saw record license sales last year. In Wisconsin, leftover tags were snatched up left and right and soon ran out. The hunters that weren't able to pick up a leftover tag made sure they applied for the draw this year. There were also a lot of people introduced to turkey hunting last spring that haven't given it much thought in the past so now they are applying for permits. Add up all those factors and that's the real reason there is a record number of applicants to Wisconsin turkey permits.

Just a side note: Wisconsin has the best season and licensing structure of any other state (imo) and the turkeys are in no danger of being over hunted there. It's just a great system that other states should try to emulate.
Confused me .

owlhoot

Quote from: simpzenith on February 17, 2021, 12:28:56 PM
Quote from: silent tom on February 17, 2021, 11:50:29 AM
Dave Owens alluded to in his previous post in this thread about the need to be conservation minded.
It's not a secret that he pimped out Wisconsin possibly beyond repair.  In his series, he made a couple comments about Wisconsin "being his kind of state" in a separate video and "$15 dollar tags" at the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqCd6wgxngk.
This video was put out prior to last season, but after the permit deadline for Wisconsin. Guess what guys and girls, read the "Attention" note on this link: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/hunt/turkey.
Any of you think this is a coincidence? Does this follow a conservation minded mindset??? Answer that one.

I'm sure Dave's videos influenced a few hunters to apply for Wisconsin but I seriously doubt it was a major contributor.
Covid is the real culprit. Wisconsin sells leftover tags and most folks don't bother to apply for the draw (it save themselves application fees) because they know leftover tags are available. Because of Covid and everyone being out of work, Wisconsin and every other state in the  saw record license sales last year. In Wisconsin, leftover tags were snatched up left and right and soon ran out. The hunters that weren't able to pick up a leftover tag made sure they applied for the draw this year. There were also a lot of people introduced to turkey hunting last spring that haven't given it much thought in the past so now they are applying for permits. Add up all those factors and that's the real reason there is a record number of applicants to Wisconsin turkey permits.

Just a side note: Wisconsin has the best season and licensing structure of any other state (imo) and the turkeys are in no danger of being over hunted there. It's just a great system that other states should try to emulate.

Right.

Chad

I just wish they (the youtubers) would stop saying the word "PUBLIC", stop naming states, and not show towns / road names / landmarks.

Just show turkey hunting, that would be easy enough

stinkpickle

Has this been ironed out yet?  Full disclosure:  I'm too lazy to read all the posts.

Happy

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 17, 2021, 04:05:29 PM
Has this been ironed out yet?  Full disclosure:  I'm too lazy to read all the posts.
Nope. Check back in about a week from now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

stinkpickle

Quote from: Happy on February 17, 2021, 04:07:45 PM
Nope. Check back in about a week from now.

Sweet!  Thanks.

Fdept56

As soon as something becomes the "cool" thing to do, the enjoyment factor drops quickly. I'm very concerned to see what turkey hunting will become in the next few years. I've seen firsthand what happened with duck hunting, I live 20 minutes from some of the best flooded timber in Arkansas and used to hunt 45+ days a year, I didn't even buy my stamps this season.

I see this from a slightly different perspective as the majority of you as I'm in the "younger" crowd being 26 years old. I've been turkey hunting for close to 20 years but only really started traveling the past 4-5 because no one in my family did, I thought you just hunted your season from start to finish and it was over. 2018 was the first year that I had enough confidence to start traveling by myself. Just about this time was when I noticed the YouTube craze beginning.

I was as bad as anyone else and immediately became a fanboy for all things Pinhoti. I still greatly enjoy all Dave's videos and most of what he is doing but you're either blind or lying if you say that it's not affecting turkeys in a negative way. I understand the main argument for this, but the money made from license sales are just a drop in the bucket of where state agencies get their money.

I may be way wrong but I would be willing to bet that most of the money comes from guns and ammo sales, and many of the people buying guns and ammo don't even hunt. None of the people making money off of videoing hunts even acknowledge this portion of people.

When I was younger, I remember it being illegal to film on public land in Missouri and I always thought it was odd but I think they saw something like this coming. What is the difference in filming your hunt on public land and posting it to everyone in the world to see and guiding other hunters for a fee, which is illegal in most states as far as I know.

I hope that I'm 100% wrong and all this does nothing but make public hunting better.

silent tom

No sir it hasn't.  Have a feeling more people are sick of the youtubers bs than folks realize.  One positive I do see is that we have what appears to be just as many "younger" type hunters that see and realize the situation.

eggshell

Fdept56

You bring up a good point. Below are links to two articles on funding here in Ohio. Most states are similar. Excise tax on sporting goods and firearms are a huge source of budget funds, these article address that angle as well. Having been an administrator I can tell you license fees are not incidental. What isn't made clear is that these federal Aide dollars are mostly reimbursements. The states have to spend the money first then apply for up to 75% reimbursement. I operated my Fish Hatchery under these terms. Fishing and hunting license sales are how the base line is established for disbursement of funds. Many states put real property up in hock as in-kind contributions to start accessing these funds, kind of  like a secured loan. Now once this has been established it becomes a revolving system. That is unless some idiot governor or appointee does something to screw it up, like us money for a non wildlife project. Here are the links.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/who-pays-ohio-division-wildlife

https://outdoorswithfrischkorn.blogspot.com/2020/01/ohio-division-of-wildlife-writes-fiscal.html

Maybe we should get our congressmen/women and senators to extend the excise tax to hunting and fishing videos on youtube. Outside of guns and gear and license the youtubers are not contributing anymore than everyone else is....it's more a subtraction. 

dirtnap

Quote from: Chad on February 17, 2021, 03:19:59 PM
I just wish they (the youtubers) would stop saying the word "PUBLIC", stop naming states, and not show towns / road names / landmarks.

Just show turkey hunting, that would be easy enough

No doubt.  I'm not "Chasing 49".  I travel to turkey hunt and have since 2002.  I am chasing good hunting.  Half the fun is finding the spots on your own!

Happy

If most states are smart they will start charging a hefty fee for the right to video anything on public land that is going to be put out on the web. I would really like it if those funds went directly to conservation in those states. Hate to go there but it may need to be done.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club