turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

YouTube and public land

Started by PaytonWP, April 11, 2020, 11:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

well If your going to call people out it is good you have evidence. Hard to dispute when you see and hear for yourself. I vote a "like" as well. Like I said on an earlier post I had similar run ins with a turkey thug.

Happy

Anyone want a video of me going over to me neighbors and shooting a million dollar turkey?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Happy on February 17, 2021, 12:22:38 PM
Anyone want a video of me going over to me neighbors and shooting a million dollar turkey?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'll watch it..... Like, and even subscribe! Who knows, you may could start a trend.

eggshell

You could make it a barn yard grandslam if he has different colors.

simpzenith

Quote from: silent tom on February 17, 2021, 11:50:29 AM
Dave Owens alluded to in his previous post in this thread about the need to be conservation minded.
It's not a secret that he pimped out Wisconsin possibly beyond repair.  In his series, he made a couple comments about Wisconsin "being his kind of state" in a separate video and "$15 dollar tags" at the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqCd6wgxngk.
This video was put out prior to last season, but after the permit deadline for Wisconsin. Guess what guys and girls, read the "Attention" note on this link: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/hunt/turkey.
Any of you think this is a coincidence? Does this follow a conservation minded mindset??? Answer that one.

I'm sure Dave's videos influenced a few hunters to apply for Wisconsin but I seriously doubt it was a major contributor.
Covid is the real culprit. Wisconsin sells leftover tags and most folks don't bother to apply for the draw (it save themselves application fees) because they know leftover tags are available. Because of Covid and everyone being out of work, Wisconsin and every other state in the nation saw record license sales last year. In Wisconsin, leftover tags were snatched up left and right and soon ran out. The hunters that weren't able to pick up a leftover tag made sure they applied for the draw this year. There were also a lot of people introduced to turkey hunting last spring that haven't given it much thought in the past so now they are applying for permits. Add up all those factors and that's the real reason there is a record number of applicants to Wisconsin turkey permits.

Just a side note: Wisconsin has the best season and licensing structure of any other state (imo) and the turkeys are in no danger of being over hunted there. It's just a great system that other states should try to emulate.

arkrem870

so covid made everyone apply for turkey permits in Wisconsin this year......shaking my head. Take your blinders off. The quicker y'all understand broadcasting information on hunting locations to millions of users has consequences the better for everyone.

redleg06

Quote from: simpzenith on February 17, 2021, 12:28:56 PM
Dave Owens alluded to in his previous post in this thread about the need to be conservation minded.
It's not a secret that he pimped out Wisconsin possibly beyond repair.  In his series, he made a couple comments about Wisconsin "being his kind of state" in a separate video and "$15 dollar tags" at the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqCd6wgxngk.
This video was put out prior to last season, but after the permit deadline for Wisconsin. Guess what guys and girls, read the "Attention" note on this link: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/hunt/turkey.
Any of you think this is a coincidence? Does this follow a conservation minded mindset??? Answer that one.

I'm sure Dave's videos influenced a few hunters to apply for Wisconsin but I seriously doubt it was a major contributor.
Covid is the real culprit. Wisconsin sells leftover tags and most folks don't bother to apply for the draw (it save themselves application fees) because they know leftover tags are available. Because of Covid and everyone being out of work, Wisconsin and every other state in the  saw record license sales last year. In Wisconsin, leftover tags were snatched up left and right and soon ran out. The hunters that weren't able to pick up a leftover tag made sure they applied for the draw this year. There were also a lot of people introduced to turkey hunting last spring that haven't given it much thought in the past so now they are applying for permits. Add up all those factors and that's the real reason there is a record number of applicants to Wisconsin turkey permits.

Just a side note: Wisconsin has the best season and licensing structure of any other state (imo) and the turkeys are in no danger of being over hunted there. It's just a great system that other states should try to emulate.

I wont say if Dave or anyone else's video's have had an effect but if you go to youtube (I Just did, out of curiosity) and type in "Wisconsin Public Turkey Hunting",   the first couple of videos that pop up from THP have 81,000 and 45,000 views...  If just 10% of those people find their way to Wisconsin as a result, that's a huge number...and then say they go have success and tell their buddies, who also go the next year, and who tell their buddies..........etc etc etc.

I understand you do it too but the more exposure a area or even a state gets, the more crowded it's going to be. That's not unique to the hunting industry or public lands.... Business' advertise and, as a result,  more people find out about them and consume their products. Same thing here- if you "advertise" that X-State is loaded with turkey, has cheap tags, and relatively little pressure, people are going to start consuming.

simpzenith

Quote from: arkrem870 on February 17, 2021, 12:38:10 PM
so covid made everyone apply for turkey permits in Wisconsin this year......shaking my head. Take your blinders off. The quicker y'all understand broadcasting information on hunting locations to millions of users has consequences the better for everyone.

So you're saying a video with 30,000 views made more than 16,000 or 50% of it's viewers apply for a turkey permit in Wisconsin. That's sounds legit.

bigriverbum

i'm going to start a channel of nothing but 30 minute videos of me walking around all my secret spots and showing them prominently

then lots of bad poorly timed calling.  sipping on my coffee and smoking a cig as the one bird i see all season busts me. lose a contact and have to stumble home. taking naps. saying screw it and spending the day morel and ramp hunting. then falling onto my couch with a big smile on my face at the end of the day

silent tom

Covid is the real culprit. Wisconsin sells leftover tags and most folks don't bother to apply for the draw (it save themselves application fees) because they know leftover tags are available. Because of Covid and everyone being out of work, Wisconsin and every other state in the  saw record license sales last year. In Wisconsin, leftover tags were snatched up left and right and soon ran out. The hunters that weren't able to pick up a leftover tag made sure they applied for the draw this year. There were also a lot of people introduced to turkey hunting last spring that haven't given it much thought in the past so now they are applying for permits. Add up all those factors and that's the real reason there is a record number of applicants to Wisconsin turkey permits.

Wait and see. If you don't think they can be overhunted, you probably didn't see firsthand what happened to Kansas in the last 10 years.

Stoeger_bird

See all the youtubers have to stick together and defend each other because they know what they are doing is causing more harm than good. They will continue to throw the excuse of hunter recruitment and license sales and thier fan boys will all get behind them defend. People who have been traveling to hunt or even locals that have had the tubers visit thier areas know the truth. I plan on getting as many people as I can to join with me in going to my state officials to try our best to make some change that won't benefit some of the tubers but will truly benefit my states public lands and turkeys.
T.W.D.W.D.

redleg06

Quote from: simpzenith on February 17, 2021, 12:45:15 PM

So you're saying a video with 30,000 views made more than 16,000 or 50% of it's viewers apply for a turkey permit in Wisconsin. That's sounds legit.

Not to be an asshole here but if you're that sure that what you guys do ISNT having an effect, post up your personal honey holes online.  If the youtube movement isn't having an effect (or at least not a significant one), it wont cause any extra hunting pressure so no problem.

eggshell

I just looked up all  the season dates and license information for Wisconsin. I had never done that before, watching a couple videos and an internet conversation made me want to see what all the hub bub was about. Now, how many more do that and even are planning a trip. Dang just the $15.00 a tag comment made me go hmmm and take a look. I'm not going but it made me look. Shane and Dave, I'm not assigning blame or saying you aren't putting out a product better than most, but it will be real hard to get away from hunters associating increased numbers with your videos and comments. Perhaps it is just part of what comes with your trade. I think trying to divert it to covid will fail, most won't buy that explanation. Here's a thought, don't even say what sate your hunting in any video, just say today we are hunting rios, easterns, merriams or Osceolas. Of course everyone knows where Osceolas are. I suspect as many that are upset with you there is an equal number that love what you do and find it very helpful. when I was in my career there was always someone who thought you were an idiot and to blame for them not getting their game or catching a fish. Do what you are driven to do the best and most thoughtful way you can and you don't have to justify it to anyone. If you are wrong your market will go away and you'll be doing something else. It's my personal choice not to be a buyer, and that's ok too. I do like reading reviews on products I'm buying, and this discussion is just that a review. If reviews reveal a flaw then to stay in business it's a good idea to fix the flaw.

I try to be fair and objective, but my vote is the videos bring more crowding and is a bad thing when an area is revealed.

bigriverbum

Quote from: silent tom on February 17, 2021, 12:51:22 PM

Wait and see. If you don't think they can be overhunted, you probably didn't see firsthand what happened to Kansas in the last 10 years.

especially when 75% of pressure is concentrated in 2 zones

simpzenith

Quote from: redleg06 on February 17, 2021, 12:54:21 PM
Quote from: simpzenith on February 17, 2021, 12:45:15 PM

Not to be an asshole here but if you're that sure that what you guys do ISNT having an effect, post up your personal honey holes online.  If the youtube movement isn't having an effect (or at least not a significant one), it wont cause any extra hunting pressure so no problem.

I don't have a honey hole perse, I do have a favorite areas to hunt but I'm not locked into any particular hunting locations. If I need to drive south from my home instead of east to get to a "better" area, then I'll do that.