only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

YouTube and public land

Started by PaytonWP, April 11, 2020, 11:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle_Ott

Quote from: Delmar ODonnell on February 15, 2021, 02:27:48 PM
Quote from: Stoeger_bird on February 15, 2021, 01:35:19 PM
Jealousy of Dave and youtubers absolutely has 0 to do with it. I enjoyed watching their shows and applouded it before i saw first hand what it was becoming. Everywhere he hunts become the next new hotspot the next season The main problem I have is the new breed of hunter they are spawning. They have create the "all I care about is getting mine" type of hunters. Those type of hunters would stop or drastically cut down their thrill kills if they couldn't post on a social media platform.Those type of hunters are Whats going to bring this whole thing down!  Dave knows damn well what he has created and is continuing to create. And don't let Dave be a hypocrite with calling him out for saying its not all about numbers and kills. For example look at what he did in his Wisconsin trip in 2019.  How many did yall kill there Dave? Not only did u keep going back and harvesting bird after bird but u also brought in several different people to do the same. Yall know why he did this? VIEWS AND LIKES! Its literally ur job now Dave  and ur finances depend it. Its a business to him now people Profit! Dave u can hid behind a cloak of doing it for the love of the hunt or whatever u claim but the simple truth is ur doing it now because u can't stop. Its become to big and as long as u keep making money the hell with everyone else and the most of all to hell with the resources. But hey Dave u got yours though so congrats.

Could a much simpler explanation be that he was on birds, Wisconsin legally allowed him to continue to buy permits, and hunting and killing turkeys is fun, irrespective of "views and likes?" Your comment contains a lot of baseless conjecture, especially when considering he was hunting that hard long before he started his channel. Pretty strong accusation to make without providing any evidence to support it. Seems much more like you just don't like the guy.

Could a much more interesting series of questions be about trying to understand how a guy ethically justifies shooting 6 or 7 or 8 turkeys(whatever the number was) in one state(even when it's legal)?  Like seriously, how does a guy who has literally killed hundreds of turkeys justify smashing that many?  Also, how does a guy who cares about the turkeys biologically justify that behavior, either?  And I'm damn sure confused how a guy who cares so much about the wild turkey would EVER want to put that on Youtube and feed it to the masses.  I could see shooting one or two birds but have you bothered to see what the increase in license sales was in the state of Wisconsin last year? 

There are those of us who travel extensively who feel some degree of obligation to the turkeys, the places they live and the locals who hunt them to keep things to ourselves.  Sure, we take our picture with our dead turkey but even I have stopped stating where I'm at because people pay attention to things like how quickly a guy kills in a new state.  A picture is also a heck of a lot different than capturing the audio and video experience and putting it on Youtube for 60-70k people to consume.  Good turkey hunting is sacred and it's becoming increasingly more rare.   

While these guys all defend themselves fervently, declining turkey populations don't need additional exposure and like I said earlier, very few of these states have made any types of adjustments to their season lengths or bag limits to offset the additional pressure public land is experiencing.  Are any of these guys advocating for those changes?  Hell no, they aren't.  In fact, I have seen some individuals who have responded to this thread argue against making changes because it would "decrease opportunity."  If you really care about turkeys, people's opportunities to kill them sure as hell shouldn't be at the top of your list of concerns. 

It would be very difficult to quantify the direct impact Youtube public land turkey hunting has had on public lands but you'd be hard pressed to convince me any of it is good..... and for all the guys talking about Arkansas duck hunting and pressure... I'm pretty sure AR restricted non-residents to only 30 days of public access out of the 60 day season  :whip2: :whip2: :whip2:

That's the last of my .02 on the issue.  No one is changing anyone's mind here.  Ya'll have a good one.

silent tom

Quote from: eggshell on February 15, 2021, 05:03:57 PM
I think that we have about exhausted this topic and like all things it has had it's time.

"When all is said and done"

Definition of when all is said and done -

: after considering or doing everything —used for a final general statement or judgment:

Used in a sentence:

It won't be easy, but when all is said and done, we'll be glad we did it.

The candidates claim to have different views but, when all is said and done, they're very much alike.

Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/when%20all%20is%20said%20and%20done.
We haven't exhausted it yet.  I have a couple links to a podcast and video I want to put on here when I can get to my laptop.

CALLM2U

Jealousy of Dave and youtubers absolutely has 0 to do with it. I enjoyed watching their shows and applouded it before i saw first hand what it was becoming. Everywhere he hunts become the next new hotspot the next season The main problem I have is the new breed of hunter they are spawning. They have create the "all I care about is getting mine" type of hunters. Those type of hunters would stop or drastically cut down their thrill kills if they couldn't post on a social media platform.Those type of hunters are Whats going to bring this whole thing down!  Dave knows damn well what he has created and is continuing to create. And don't let Dave be a hypocrite with calling him out for saying its not all about numbers and kills. For example look at what he did in his Wisconsin trip in 2019.  How many did yall kill there Dave? Not only did u keep going back and harvesting bird after bird but u also brought in several different people to do the same. Yall know why he did this? VIEWS AND LIKES! Its literally ur job now Dave  and ur finances depend it. Its a business to him now people Profit! Dave u can hid behind a cloak of doing it for the love of the hunt or whatever u claim but the simple truth is ur doing it now because u can't stop. Its become to big and as long as u keep making money the hell with everyone else and the most of all to hell with the resources. But hey Dave u got yours though so congrats.

Did you really wait 6 years to post, and this was your comment? Quite the let-down...

g8rvet

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 15, 2021, 04:39:33 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on February 15, 2021, 01:32:02 PM
I have watched THP.  I find them entertaining.  I think I have seen one or two of Pinhotti.  Who is Shane?  What is his name on you-space-agram-tube?  LOL. 

Assuming you are serious with the question....
Shane Simpson,...simpzenith on OG,...Calling All turkeys

I was serious.  Thanks brother.  Wanted to have a look.  It is a long thread and I never saw a channel name on Youtube
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bigriverbum

while i've enjoyed and have watched some videos of the public land hunters.....

i just have a problem with people making money off of public resources

the duck guides around here have made it not fun anymore.  they post some videos on youtube of clients getting certain desirable species and now even on a weekday i go out and meet tons of out-of-staters.  guys skyblast everything and have no consideration for anyone else. 

the guides intimidate people out of spots and pay locals to save spots overnight.  guessing there's some under the table dealings with the local dnr to look the other way. when guys are making 4 figures a day to take people out on their boats they're willing to do bad things to keep that money coming in. trout, walleye and panfish guides can be just as bad. not saying they're all bad, but the fact a few are allowed to do whatever is unacceptable to me so they should all lose their privilege

hate to see turkey hunting go the same way

Jbird22

Quote from: CALLM2U on February 15, 2021, 06:49:16 PM

Did you really wait 6 years to post, and this was your comment? Quite the let-down...
I suspect it's an alias. Probably a few of those within this thread honestly.

kytrkyhntr

I laughed harder at this comment than I probably should have. Lol
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Jmloch

Quote from: arkrem870 on April 12, 2020, 09:35:38 AM
I've hunted around all of the youtubers...... I can say this. They have about ruined some my favorite places in the world to hunt turkeys.  Pimping out a public resource for profit.......and on top of that's its sacred turkey hunting. Loose lips sink ships. Leave the cameras at home......play the game for yourself - not for profit. We've seen duck hunting all but ruined by social media......don't think for a second turkey hunting won't go the same way especially when these dudes are trying to make hunting public land trendy/cool. As if it wasnt crowded before.
Back in 2001 I was talking to a coworker about turkey hunting, at that time I didn't turkey hunt.  He was saying the worst thing to happen to Turkey hunting was the outdoor channel. Late 90's I believe they started airing lots of turkey hunting shows. I watched them but it didn't make me want to go hunt turkeys but lots of people did. His complaint was about going from not ever running into someone else turkey hunting to always running into people. Public or private land. I have hunted public land mostly, for turkey or deer and I am grateful that people have taken the time to educate people on locating public hunting ground near you that you didn't know you had, how to take a different approach to hunting on public land and that harvesting animals on public land isn't impossible yet due to high pressure. More and more people will come to hunt public land, I just hope things don't start happening with other hunts like what happened over here on reelfoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimspur

Public land hunting has for the most part always been more difficult
than private land hunting. Yes there might have been fewer hunter's
on public land years ago, but there were less turkeys too.

As populations rose so did the number of hunters. The YouTube shows
have brought turkey hunting into a lot of homes and more people are
interested than ever before. Turkey hunting has also never been easier.
We have incredible decoys, blinds, TSS, mapping apps with GPS etc.

This has lead to more hunters on public land. Coupled with that fact is
the fact that there is less private land available to hunt now.

With turkey populations decreasing, and hunter populations increasing,
I suspect there will come a time when turkey hunting isn't that easy
anymore. Increased competition for the fewer remaining birds will
cut down on the enjoyment.

When turkey hunting becomes more difficult some people
will give it up, and the guys who really love it will still be there.

If some YouTube hunters, and the minions that follow them around
invade my hunting area, I'll just say good luck to them and I'll go somewhere else, just like I've always done.

That's my :z-twocents:

quavers59

I honestly  had no idea that there was so many Channels  + Teams that do most of their Camera work on Public Land.
   I have seen some content on a few of these Utube Channels.  Mostly I  watch Primos + Matt Dale's Turkey Educational  Channel.
  Just out of Curiosity, I  stopped looking at 10 big Channels that concentrate on Public Lands on Utube. I would like to watch them all if, I had the time.
   Just curious- nothing  against these channels- how much Money do these guys make for filming Public Land Spring Turkey Hunts?
   I really like the Utube Videos that has a format of talking g about a Spring Hunt with a Dead Gobbler right there.
   I am sure some here has seen on Utube- Ol Turkey Master who Spring Hunts in the Smokey Mts. Great storyteller he is!
    I myself  have a Small Utube Turkey Educational  Channel.  Only 13 Subscribers- just a fun series that anyone can do
    Punch in- " Stay In The Game" and you can put my 61 year old face to this post.
  Luck to all this Spring + lasting memories!

catman529

I hope people don't read this and believe it's actually true.

First off, the "all I care about is getting mine" mentality has been around a lot longer than YouTube.

Second, Dave probably cares more about turkey and turkey hunting than most of us in this group. I'm guessing you don't know much about Wisconsin either.

I watched Dave's videos before many people ever heard of him. At the same time I was filming my hunts as well, because I enjoyed it. Same way Shane got into it too. A hobby became a side hustle, but we do it because we enjoy it. I've told people plenty of times, I only carry a camera around the woods because I enjoy it. I like to go back and watch the footage and relive the memories. To film a successful hunt is rewarding to me. Now it's become a side business that helps me to pursue my passion a little more.

Over the past couple years as my channel has grown, I've gotten more and more secretive about what I show in the videos, because I don't want a crowd following me. Even on private land I don't say much about location. I try to give advice to help people find their own honey hole and be successful in the woods. Hunter recruitment is important, so if I've introduced a few people to turkey hunting, then that's a good thing. Hunters pay for conservation, we are the reason we have so much land and wildlife to hunt. Good luck out there this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gobble!

Quote from: quavers59 on February 16, 2021, 09:21:15 AM
   Just curious- nothing  against these channels- how much Money do these guys make for filming Public Land Spring Turkey Hunts?

Found this online -
"Average Salary of a YouTuber with 500k Subscribers is $3,750 per month
$2000 from ad views + $1,750 from Ad clicks = $3,750

The average salary of a YouTuber with 100k subscribers is $750 per month
$400 from ad views + $350 from Ad clicks = $750"

Considering THP has 350k subscribers, Catman 60k, Pinhoti 24k, and Shane Simpson 36k these guys are not getting rich on YouTube. THP and Pinhoti probably do well with merchandise sales so that adds to it.

Stoeger_bird

Oh I'm sorry I didnt know I had to have a post count to have any validity on any topic or forums. At what number of your post since 2018 did u gain it?
T.W.D.W.D.

Stoeger_bird

Quote from: Jbird22 on February 15, 2021, 09:03:06 PM

I suspect it's an alias. Probably a few of those within this thread honestly.
No not an alias per se.  I will gladly reveal who I am in private but just would rather not on oublic forums.
T.W.D.W.D.

dzsmith

Quote from: Gobble! on February 16, 2021, 11:34:51 AM
Quote from: quavers59 on February 16, 2021, 09:21:15 AM

Found this online -
"Average Salary of a YouTuber with 500k Subscribers is $3,750 per month
$2000 from ad views + $1,750 from Ad clicks = $3,750

The average salary of a YouTuber with 100k subscribers is $750 per month
$400 from ad views + $350 from Ad clicks = $750"

Considering THP has 350k subscribers, Catman 60k, Pinhoti 24k, and Shane Simpson 36k these guys are not getting rich on YouTube. THP and Pinhoti probably do well with merchandise sales so that adds to it.

greg and aaron were already industry guys before THP. Cant really be mad , when its already part of what they did....Im talking about making money, nothing specific to do with their show or public land.  You have to consider a few other things, the life they live vs the life we live. Some of them "not all" give up quite a bit of "regular" life to do what they do. Its easy to think you would love to do that, or you would kill to do that....Im not so sure most folks actually would....
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."