News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

YouTube and public land

Started by PaytonWP, April 11, 2020, 11:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Quote from: CAPTJJ on March 08, 2021, 04:26:09 PM
Ran into some well-known public YouTubers on a popular WMA in Florida... they didn't last 24 hours.

Panther or gator got them?

g8rvet

Quote from: Gobble! on March 08, 2021, 05:11:46 PM
Quote from: CAPTJJ on March 08, 2021, 04:26:09 PM
Ran into some well-known public YouTubers on a popular WMA in Florida... they didn't last 24 hours.

Panther or gator got them?
Tagged out
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

CAPTJJ

My apologies,  check station said they checked out, but must have run to town and are back.

quavers59

Seems things were much simpler and the Videos were much more pleasing to watch when Harold Knight + David Hale made Spring Turkey Hunting videos.  I enjoyed the Primos video's  as well and Lohman with Brad Harris.
     Yeah,I  miss those older videos where there was actually  Teaching going on.  It  just seems to me that the main Tactic of all these Utube Chanell/ Groups is to Park before 3.30am or even before that.
    And there are just so many Public Land Utube Turkey Hunting Channels  that,I  only watch a few minutes of each.    Like all the Vietnam War Movies--- it has been " done to death"... Now, I  do like Matt Dale's Channel  because he is actively  Teaching. He has that in common with the Knight + Hale Spring Turkey Videos.
     I  probably  will still watch some or all of these Videos when,I  have time-- but there are just so many channels/ groups now.
     I don't  know all the names-- but,I  am very good at Faces. I just Hope like Hell, I  don't  see any of those faces at my Public Areas.
   If,I  do, I  will probably  think D"@#- now,I  have to park by 3am and walk in no later then 3.30am.
    I miss the Simplier Times...

eggshell

I wonder why they focus on public land so much? I suppose free access. You see a lot of other hunting shows with outfitters. The outfitter benefits from exposure and can control numbers. wonder if they ever ask outfitters for a deal...Shane or catman, can you guys expand on this? I have never seen a youtube video where the host said, "this is my home property in bugtussel Wherever and where I do all my personal hunting". Is that because they know they would be trashing their own honey hole? There in may lay your answer, if they deliberately avoid publishing hunts on their home territory they know what they are doing and are just trashing someone else's for gain.

I am just throwing these thoughts out there for more comment and madness, not pointing any fingers. Just adding another point to the discussion. Sometimes you just have to have a pessing contest to work things out. Hopefully, through all the banter the problems get addressed and we see an improved product that many can enjoy and minimize damage.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: eggshell on March 09, 2021, 07:09:49 AM
I wonder why they focus on public land so much? I suppose free access. You see a lot of other hunting shows with outfitters. The outfitter benefits from exposure and can control numbers. wonder if they ever ask outfitters for a deal...Shane or catman, can you guys expand on this? I have never seen a youtube video where the host said, "this is my home property in bugtussel Wherever and where I do all my personal hunting". Is that because they know they would be trashing their own honey hole? There in may lay your answer, if they deliberately avoid publishing hunts on their home territory they know what they are doing and are just trashing someone else's for gain.

I am just throwing these thoughts out there for more comment and madness, not pointing any fingers. Just adding another point to the discussion. Sometimes you just have to have a pessing contest to work things out. Hopefully, through all the banter the problems get addressed and we see an improved product that many can enjoy and minimize damage.

Well, when one crew hunts TN, they literally advertise for TWRA. So they are getting something out of that one.

CAPTJJ

Funny seeing people complain about the same thing they have done the same thing on this forum.

CALLM2U

Because the internet and TV are saturated with people hunting with outfitters.  The feedback is everywhere that it's not realistic for the common hunter and that it's not "real hunting". 

GobbleNut

I wonder why they focus on public land so much? I suppose free access.

I think free access could be one of the reasons, but I think one of the primary reasons is the freedom to roam and explore more places to hunt.  In addition, there are times when several guys are hunting together and need room to spread out.  Been there, done that.  There is nothing more frustrating to me to be confined to a small parcel of land with too many hunters such that everybody is stumbling over each other. 

Conversely, there is nothing more enjoyable to me than going on a hunt with several friends and hunting an area where we can all hunt in different places but still have the camaraderie of a camp where we all gather outside of the time we are hunting. That is rarely possible when hunting private parcels that are generally going to be pretty restrictive.

Another factor that comes into play is the apparent "badge of honor" that comes with hunting public land for some folks.  Whether any of us like to admit it or not, there is an underlying attitude of "I am hunting public land and killing gobblers so I must be better at this than you other guys". 

News Flash:  Good turkey hunters and good turkey callers are a dime a dozen nowadays! And guess what?  Once you get the "A,B,C's" of hunting them down, and you dedicate enough time to hunting them, turkeys just ain't that hard to kill!  If anybody is trying to prove their superiority in this endeavor, they are pretty much just fooling themselves. 

Turkeys are a fine game bird that have qualities that make them very enjoyable to hunt.  As others have already said, "get out in the woods, enjoy nature, hunt ethically and safely, have fun,...and maybe harvest yourself a gobbler".  Other than that, don't make this about anything other than "turkey huntin'"!   :) :icon_thumright:

turkeyfool

Well, when one crew hunts TN, they literally advertise for TWRA. So they are getting something out of that one

^That's actually a really good point. I didn't even think of that. They probably are getting paid by TWRA. Now, if that's true, that's bs

eggshell

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 09, 2021, 09:14:18 AM
I wonder why they focus on public land so much? I suppose free access.

I think free access could be one of the reasons, but I think one of the primary reasons is the freedom to roam and explore more places to hunt.  In addition, there are times when several guys are hunting together and need room to spread out.  Been there, done that.  There is nothing more frustrating to me to be confined to a small parcel of land with too many hunters such that everybody is stumbling over each other. 

Conversely, there is nothing more enjoyable to me than going on a hunt with several friends and hunting an area where we can all hunt in different places but still have the camaraderie of a camp where we all gather outside of the time we are hunting. That is rarely possible when hunting private parcels that are generally going to be pretty restrictive.

Another factor that comes into play is the apparent "badge of honor" that comes with hunting public land for some folks.  Whether any of us like to admit it or not, there is an underlying attitude of "I am hunting public land and killing gobblers so I must be better at this than you other guys". 

News Flash:  Good turkey hunters and good turkey callers are a dime a dozen nowadays! And guess what?  Once you get the "A,B,C's" of hunting them down, and you dedicate enough time to hunting them, turkeys just ain't that hard to kill!  If anybody is trying to prove their superiority in this endeavor, they are pretty much just fooling themselves. 

Turkeys are a fine game bird that have qualities that make them very enjoyable to hunt.  As others have already said, "get out in the woods, enjoy nature, hunt ethically and safely, have fun,...and maybe harvest yourself a gobbler".  Other than that, don't make this about anything other than "turkey huntin'"!   :) :icon_thumright:

Dang there's always a kill joy that just has to show up and talk common sense truth into what was a fine argument and p*ssing match. Just went in the bathroom looked in the mirror and told that old man "your just a fool, killing them turkeys ain't no big deal after all. Any clown can do it".

dublelung

Quote from: g8rvet on March 04, 2021, 02:13:36 PM
Quote from: dublelung on March 04, 2021, 10:32:39 AM
Quote from: Howie g on February 15, 2021, 03:56:09 PM
You tubers / facebookers / twitters/ coyotes / skunks / hawks / owls / coons /coonasses / arkies / loggers /
Corn hunters / decoy deployers / tss / Democrats / fire ants / cut overs / reaper fanners / hogs /
And last but not least ,, covid !!  Even with all this ,,, I can't wait till it opens so I can get after these unbelievable survival artists!

Finally! A post I agree with!   :you_rock:

I've watched them all and will continue to be what some of you call a "fan boy" of the youtube hunters. If the majority of you who are bitching would turn in your friends who you know shoot over the limit each year and trap some nest predators you'd be doing way more for the wild turkey than trying to shame someone who has figured out how to supplement their income while traveling and hunting.

LOL  How do you know that they DON'T turn in friends that shoot over their limit and trap predators? 

This thread turned silly about 10 pages ago, if not before. Y'all have fun.

Well do you trap nest raiders and report your friends who shoot over the limit or do you just report what's silly?

g8rvet

I do not trap predators, because I don't believe in that. 

My friends don't shoot over their limit. None of them.  I know a guy that used to brag about it, so I told my friend-that is a game warden.  He already knew but thought he was FOS and was lucky to kill one a year.

You made a silly accusation with zero reason for it.  You implied someone can't be an ethical hunter and not like the YouTube channels.  (double negative, sorry).  The two have nothing to do with each other. I pointed that out.

The silly comment was not really directed at yours alone, plenty of others.  Folks are making suppositions based on if someone likes watching the YouTube channels or not.  Otherwise, lots of good opinions on both sides of the public/overcrowding/hunter recruitment thoughts. 

PS Edited to be more friendly.  I don't really want to debate you or anyone on this. We both have our opinions and short of name calling, I have no problem with anyone that feels different than me.  I watch some of them, sometimes.  Not glued to them, but I do enjoy some of them.     

Hope you and everyone else has a safe and enjoyable spring! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Spurs Up

I'm assuming the well established "tubers" make money off their videos. Some put them on other sites that I know are commercial. Most are videoed on public lands. Thus they are commercially profiting off everyone's lands. The National Park Service and likely some other agencies, both federal and state, require producers of commercial ventures, including video productions shot on their land, to apply for permits. I think they charge a fee for those permits. I sure all the turkey videographers already know this and have them.  ::)

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Spurs Up on March 09, 2021, 07:54:00 PM
I'm assuming the well established "tubers" make money off their videos. Some put them on other sites that I know are commercial. Most are videoed on public lands. Thus they are commercially profiting off everyone's lands. The National Park Service and likely some other agencies, both federal and state, require producers of commercial ventures, including video productions shot on their land, to apply for permits. I think they charge a fee for those permits. I sure all the turkey videographers already know this and have them.  ::)

Yup, a western big game hunter just got in trouble for failing to get a film permit on federal lands.

I believe THP knows to cover their bases, or at least used to. Because in the beginning, I remember Aaron mentioning hunting on a certain type of public land in MO because they couldn't film on state land. A brief glimpse at Missouri's Conservation Area regulations showed the following:

EXAMPLES OF INAPPROPRIATE USES:
" commercial audio, movie, and video making"

Link here to see it yourself:

https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/permits/special-use-permits

I personally wish every state would ban it on their state lands or go the permit route. At least requiring a pricey permit would generate some revenue for the state's game and fish agency.