turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

YouTube and public land

Started by PaytonWP, April 11, 2020, 11:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

I hate technological videos; I prefer to watch those residing in my memory.  They are so much more memorable and cause no harm.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

g8rvet

Ah Silvestris, you are a Betamax dude in a streaming world!  (heck, you might even be 8mm) :angel9:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: g8rvet on April 24, 2020, 08:07:37 PM
Ah Silvestris, you are a Betamax dude in a streaming world!  (heck, you might even be 8mm) :angel9:
lol
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ranger

Silvestris will have more turkey man left in his thumb in his 90s than most of you in the prime of your careers.  Some will never have any at all, and you know who you are
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

g8rvet

Quote from: Ranger on April 28, 2020, 11:01:54 AM
Silvestris will have more turkey man left in his thumb in his 90s than most of you in the prime of your careers.  Some will never have any at all, and you know who you are
Easy there Tiger, I was just teasing Silvestris. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

PaytonWP

Just gonna bring this back to the top in hopes that the new and old youtubers will think and be conscious of what and where they video this year. They have flat ruined spots in my area and I'm sure it will be worse this year.

Gooserbat

I killed the last turkey on oklahoma public land.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Howie g

Well dang !  I thought I killed the last one in Oklahoma.
Must of been 2 left ... ???????

Ol timer

Just to add too all this it's not just You Tube it's your cell phones also, ever try surf fishing on a beach and a blitz starts up you will be elbow to elbow within minutes after the first call goes out.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: PaytonWP on February 11, 2021, 09:07:31 PM
Just gonna bring this back to the top in hopes that the new and old youtubers will think and be conscious of what and where they video this year. They have flat ruined spots in my area and I'm sure it will be worse this year.

Agreed. SURELY mid-week pressure can't be as bad. Most folks are back at work now, aren't they? But I'm pretty sure the weekend crowds will be the worse we've ever seen in the public woods during modern times. And some turkey 'destination' states are going to be absolutely overrun with traveling hunters. That's why I am taking my travels elsewhere!

VA_Birdhunter

I've been turkey hunting 30 yrs now.  I've seen a lot of things change over that time.  I can remember when all the Primos, K&H etc were on VHS and buying them for 8 or 9 dollars each spring in the Walmart sporting goods section.   Primos and K&H were my favorite and I enjoyed them a lot and looked forward to there new VHS and then DVD releasing each year.  Did this increase the number of turkey hunters? Without a doubt it did.  Then the outdoor channel come along and played the episodes on there which I watched and enjoyed...did that help increase the number of turkey hunters...without a doubt it did.  Today we have the internet and numerous social media outlets.  30 yrs later and I find myself loving to carry a camera with me into the spring woods and sharing my experience with others..

Now I read back through all the comments and many have great points and truth.  Never should anyone announce where there at hunting...giving a state is one thing giving exact locations is wrong period.  This is something we (I) don't do and never will...which we hunt 99% private land but we still don't give locations.  I was taught at an early age that's a no go and still today if someone invites me to hunt with them and it's a new location of public land I will not go back on my own and will only go if I'm invited back.  Hard work pays off and boots on the ground is the best way to be successful. I've always been successful due to my own hard work. I love hunting public land and have been very successful doing so...but I've also faced dealing with other hunters.  All of the encounters I've faced in my so called honey holes has been from others telling people they've seen turkey in those areas and non of which was hunters themselves so it happens and it's not always from a video. 

Now several of the comments on this topic to me are wrong and painting everyone that likes to video or even post there hunts with a broad brush is wrong, very inaccurate and narrow minded.  I've seen the statement of "want to be YouTube hero's" several times.  So I can personally tell you I'm no hero and have never looked for that title and I know several others that also fall in line with me.  I've also seen the hate for social media in posts and I'll be the first to say I don't like most forms of social medial and believe FB has been terrible for turkey hunting as it has for many other game species.  I limit myself on those outlets and again never tell where I hunt.  But reading some of the posts and to seeing the disgust  for social media makes me wonder why are they on OG since it's a form of social media...if ur going to take that stance then take it for all forms.  I love OG and have been here since the start but it's a social media platform that can be searched on the net.  Does it add to some of  the number of turkey hunters and enthusiasm of hunting absolutely.   

Many things have contributed to the number of hunters in the woods these days and most are what I call weekend warriors or the one week and done crowd.  I'm like anyone else and don't like dealing with crowded woods for the number one fact or safety.   But if one calls for the end of videos you must also call for the end of the NWTF convention, local sports shows, Call Makers shows, box stores selling and displaying calls etc (I can remember when bass pro started displaying a call with each call they sold friction wise that You could try out), local NWTF chapters, calling contests and all forums etc and the list could go on because they have all added to the numbers of hunters in the spring woods. We're going to have  more and new people turkey hunting regardless if there videos or not.  I seen post of this topic that implies we don't need anymore new hunters.  Please tell me how you intend to address that because there is more contributing to it then videos on YouTube.  Last year was a perfect storm with the virus hitting and so many people out of work.  I suspect it to not be as bad this year but I could be wrong.  But I can tell You this Lord willing I'll be out hunting this magnificent bird something I absolutely love no matter what...and I can guarantee you I'm not going to give it up until I'm unable to walk or 6 feet underground.  I also enjoy helping new hunters and showing them the art of it.  So many these days run out to get the newest gimmick instead of learning how to hunt them and having woodsman-ship.  I was blessed to have a dad that showed me how to hunt turkeys and the challenge the thrill of calling them in.  This is just my 2 cents on it.   God bless and enjoy each day we are blessed to be in the spring woods as we're not promised another day! 
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

turkeyfool

I like to travel and hunt different states every weekend. Not because of the YT craze but more so because I like rode tripping and checking out new places. Public land is public land and I can also see why some guys would be pissed about this craze leading to a lot of public land overcrowded, but even on here-I've gotten nasty PMs from people when I've just MENTIONED that I killed a bird in a particular state. My point is there's always going to be grumpy people when it comes to more info being out there and the fact that they feel their state has an army of turkey hunters coming in to hunt it.

I think we can all agree that at the end of the day, the YT turkey hunting craze will never cause turkey hunting to be deer hunting. Racks make people do some crazy things and it's just a different level. I can't ever see turkey hunting being commercialized even close to deer hunting, which I guess is a good thing for us

sasquatch1

Quote from: turkeyfool on February 12, 2021, 02:05:31 PM
I like to travel and hunt different states every weekend. Not because of the YT craze but more so because I like rode tripping and checking out new places. Public land is public land and I can also see why some guys would be pissed about this craze leading to a lot of public land overcrowded, but even on here-I've gotten nasty PMs from people when I've just MENTIONED that I killed a bird in a particular state. My point is there's always going to be grumpy people when it comes to more info being out there and the fact that they feel their state has an army of turkey hunters coming in to hunt it.

I think we can all agree that at the end of the day, the YT turkey hunting craze will never cause turkey hunting to be deer hunting. Racks make people do some crazy things and it's just a different level. I can't ever see turkey hunting being commercialized even close to deer hunting, which I guess is a good thing for us

Gobbling birds will make people do even crazier things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

deerhunt1988

I can't ever see turkey hunting being commercialized even close to deer hunting, which I guess is a good thing for us

In my opinion, it doesn't lack much more to become just as commercialized. Especially in the eastern U.S. The commercialization has increased substantially the past decade.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on February 12, 2021, 02:37:25 PM
I can't ever see turkey hunting being commercialized even close to deer hunting, which I guess is a good thing for us

In my opinion, it doesn't lack much more to become just as commercialized. Especially in the eastern U.S. The commercialization has increased substantially the past decade.

If a dollar can be made someone is going to try and capitalize on it...just the facts of life.   It has increased over the years but I agree with turkeyfool it's not got to the deer commercialized point yet.  But if turkey grew horns we'd be in trouble! LOL   
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens