OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 13 shells leaking!

Started by Ruger M77, May 12, 2011, 07:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruger M77

My brother inlaw and I are both shootin Hevi13 3-2 7s this year mine seem fine but his are leaking the buffering out of the crimp. Has anyone else ever had this problem? and will they shoot alright? I wouldn't think so but i aint sure
I eat therefore I hunt

spaightlabs

They'll shoot fine - but you'll keep the buffer in 'em if ya take a little Elmers glue and put it on the crimp and let it dry overnight.

hookedspur

Quote from: slickyboyboo on May 12, 2011, 08:09:05 PM
Make sure all of the sealant that EM uses on the shell is off. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot, and get you some stuff in the Caulk section, called Alex Plus. Put a dab in the middle of the crimp, and work it into the folds of the crimp. wipe the excess off, and let dry for 24hrs. I seal all of my star crimp handloads this way, and have had no problems with the sealant coming off since I started. It works great, and is very cheap (cheaper than Elmer's).  ;D
I do this also.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TauntoHawk

had the same problem on my #7s and magblends.. ill do this next year if i have the problem again
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

deadbuck

They will shoot fine. I had 2 shells like that last year and ended up putting candle wax on them. They both killed a turkey with most of the buffer missing. Once the shell ignites the load is compressed together and shoots fine.

Lon0121

I also had this problem,  Never fixed it but the elmers glue idea seems to be a good idea?!
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

CASH

Clean any of the buffering out of your magazine tube.  It will cause the spring to stick
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

woody

HAd the same problem yers ago with 20 ga shells and this year with 12 ga. 3" #7's.  Just put a coat of nail polish on the crimp.  I went througgh and did all my Hevi-13's after my kansas trip walking around with a pocket full of buffer!!!  I did shoot a few birds and they did not know they were not buffered shells.

archery1

Quote from: CASH on May 13, 2011, 01:07:50 PM
Clean any of the buffering out of your magazine tube.  It will cause the spring to stick
did this to me in my mossberg 835.. didnt no what the $@#$#@% was goin on.. cleaned tube out and its as good as new
Take a kid hunting