OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

rifle reloading question

Started by Richyb, May 12, 2011, 07:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richyb

I picked up the 165 nosler partitions and im planning on loading them for 30-06 and also 308.  IM very new to this reloading stuff and was wondering if one powder will work for both shells or are they 2 different powders? thanks.

wisconsinteacher

I have never reloaded .308 but for 06 I have used H4350, IMR 4064, and Win 760.  Right now I have some rounds ready to test that are from 56-58.5 gr of H4350 with 165 AB bullets.  I am switching from SSTs to AB this year.  Get a few books and read.  There are also some good forums to join that will help a lot.  Good luck and have fun.

redarrow

IMR 4350 should work fine in both cartridges. GET YOURSELF A GOOD RELOADING MANUAL !  I recommend the one from Lyman or Lee.

WyoHunter

Quote from: redarrow on May 12, 2011, 07:15:18 PM
IMR 4350 should work fine in both cartridges. GET YOURSELF A GOOD RELOADING MANUAL !  I recommend the one from Lyman or Lee.
My favorite is Barnes and Nosler.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Reloader

For both, I would lean twds the Varget range of burn.  4350 is a tad slow for 308 and 165s.

4895 will work as well.

I'd probably grab Varget for just one powder.  Powder is cheap, go varget for the 308 and a 4350 for the 06.

davisd9

Are you shooting deer with both calibers?  What will be the longest range shot you will have to take?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Richyb

yes i will be shooting deer with both. and maybe with another bullet moose also. The 06 is mine the the 308 is dads. I would like the get the 06 running in the 2900 fps range if i could.

redarrow

You can get 2900 with     max loads of a few diff. powders. However since you are working up a load I wouldn't advice a newbie to start with any of the max loads. As you become more aware of the signs to watch for you can slowly work toward he max loads. Personally a 150 gr.bullet will kill a deer just as dead with less powder and in the less than max range .
My pet load for my Savage is 55 grains of IMR 4350with a Sierr@  2125 bullet (150 gr.) and a 9 1/2 Remington primer.  With this I am right at 2800 FPS. I could bump it up to 57.3 and get 2900. I have had more eye surgeries than I care to remember so I tend to load more for recoil reduction without giving up accuracy. At least 30 deer can attest to the success of this load.

davisd9

With the 4350 you can get 2900 out of the 06, but to avoid over pressure you may want to drop you bullet grain down to 150 for a deer.  I shoot 130gr. Sierr@  gamekings with H4350 in my .270 winchester.  I am not sure how much powder I loaded in them but I will check and let you know.  I do not know what to tell you about a moose cause I have never hunted them.  The 150 in the .308 or the 06 will be plenty of knockdown for deer.  I love the Sierr@  cause of the accuracy and expansion.  Do not know about the nosler partitions cause I have never tried them, but I do know nosler is a great company.  I like speer also.  Most bullet manufactuers make a manual for their bullets, I use Sierr@ 's reloading manual.  One of the most important things to look at for signs of pressure is your primer after the shot.  I bought some hornady sst a couple of years ago and they were load hot and the primer was mushrooming out the case, not good, and i had to put the butt of the gun in my arm pit a pull the bolt back with enough force to get the casing out.  Lets say I only shot 2 or 3 of them.  I could have sent them to hornady and they would have made good on them, but never did.  That is the only problem I have ever had with hornady bullets and still use them in my .243 win.  Good Luck!  I am no expert but I do have resources about reloading that have been doing it for a long time so if I do not know an answer to a question most likely I can find out.  Many other guys on the site is really good at it, Reloader, so pay attention to what they tell you.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Richyb

thanks abunch guys .. Dads 308 is a savage lever action and my 30-06 is a remington semi carbine if that will matter at all ? .. I normally shoot 150's at deer but the guy i got the stuff off fo has a wack of 165 nosler partitions and i have read that they are ok for moose too so i might just load them for both. The longest shot i will have at a moose is likely 150 yards.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: redarrow on May 12, 2011, 07:15:18 PM
GET YOURSELF A GOOD RELOADING MANUAL !  

It's been years since I did any reloading, but I had the Hornady reloading manual at that time.  It was like gold for making a newbie (myself) be able to confidently load a variety of bullets and powders with good results. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

TheTwistedOne

Quote from: Richyb on May 13, 2011, 12:29:55 PM
thanks abunch guys .. Dads 308 is a savage lever action and my 30-06 is a remington semi carbine if that will matter at all ? .. I normally shoot 150's at deer but the guy i got the stuff off fo has a wack of 165 nosler partitions and i have read that they are ok for moose too so i might just load them for both. The longest shot i will have at a moose is likely 150 yards.

YES!!!  That matters A LOT!!!

Neither one of those rifles is one you should even be thinking about handloading maximum loads for!

Besides lever gun actions not being as strong as bolt actions (pressure proof wise).  There is no way to reliably spot pressure signs on brass fired in lever action guns.  You will also have similar issues (and others) with the Semi-Auto.

Neither one of those rifles are what a beginning handloader should be starting with.

TheTwistedOne

Don't misunderstand.  I don't mean to imply that reloading for these two guns is not possible.  I do want to underline that it does make a difference what kind of action you are reloading with.

Most reloading manual data is primarily for bolt action weapons.  Some manuals have special sections for reloading lever actions and semi-autos.  Concentrate on the data in those sections.  Many reloading equipment manufacturers also recommend special small base reloading dies and crimping dies for reloading for semi-autos.