OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scored on a double-beard bird this morning!

Started by Finch, May 12, 2011, 06:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finch

I wasn't even going to go hunting this morning since I have to work nights this weekend starting tonight. But the few seconds it takes to let my dog out the door I heard a turkey gobble. I just couldn't sleep in knowing a bird was in the area and especially since season ends Saturday.

So I get dressed and walk out the door and down the woods to the land I have permission to hunt. I hear intermittent gobbles along the way and try not to get too excited. Experience has taught me that nothing is guaranteed no matter how good it seems. I get to the top of the field edge and drop into the woods. Its a small strip of land between two fields but it's steep. I hear at least two or three birds gobbling on the roost while I tip toe in. I pick a tree, get situated, and make a few calls. All the while, I'm wondering how come these guys are still roosting and how I was able to sneak in undetected. Its plenty of light out. A flock of crows circle overhead and irritate my intended prey for several minutes. I patiently wait.

It's funny how ten minutes seems like an eternity when the game you're after can show themselves any second. They fly down and I know this because the crows scattered and the gobbles became fainter and fainter. They're going away from me! I exit the woods the way I entered and made a big circle to ambush the birds. I re-enter and not even 20 yards into the woods I spook (what I will learn) to be the biggest bird. He was on a mission and getting somewhere fast. Because of me, he got there a tad faster.

I decided to sit where he spooked because I knew there was at least one more coming. I made a few loud purrs, clucks, and yelps and decided to shut up. About 10-15 minutes later, I see a red head bobbing up and down. He gets to about 25 yards with his head stretched as high as it would go. By this time, my gun's beads are already on his wobbles and I squeezed the trigger. A turkey flies up and I'm thinking...huh? Anyway, didn't realize one was right behind him. He evidently didn't catch any spare shot either because after looking directly at me, he proceeds to peck and bully the downed bird. The one I shot was the bigger of the two and the still live & kicking jake felt he had an opportune time to show who was boss. I didn't let him bully my bird too long because it wasn't a fair fight.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn my bird had two beards. That's a first for me. I've also never scored so close to the end of season. I also must say that the turkey got the last laugh. I nearly broke my left fore finger due to the way I was holding my gun when that 3 1/2 rang out. Also, I got a face full of turkey blood when skinning him out. I had him hanging by the neck/head and his neck pulled apart as I was pulling down. Yuck!

sugarray

Awesome!!  Congrats on a fine bird and a DOUBLE BEARD!!   :you_rock:

LX_Trkyhntr

Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

guesswho

Nice!  Congrats on the late season double beard.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice double bearded gobbler. He is a dandy..Mike   :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

J.Davidson

turkey slayer

JVA54

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Uncle Bucky

:z-guntootsmiley: :wav: :happy0064:

great story, those days you just decide to go out end up working out more often then not

congrats on a fine bird :you_rock:

Finch

Thanks guys! I had come to the conclusion I would have a unsuccessful season. It can change in the blink of an eye.

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!