OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Competition- or?

Started by Missed mallards, April 04, 2020, 02:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missed mallards

I didn't know how to really address it so my topic is void, but it's a legitimate question.

To start, the woods are covered up with ppl like I've never seen. For the most part it hasn't been too bad running into others but the few times it has happened it's been a little scary. With that said...

You scout, find a bird, and from your knowledge are on him first. You start playing the game when hunter x starts creeping in behind you. The bird is working your way and unknown to the other hunter you're right where he is headed (hunter x). What's your play? How do you safely diffuse the situation? Do u proceed and expect the other hunter to back off when he realizes you are not a hen?

This morning got hairy and fast. I had the turkey at 20 yards and couldn't shoot. The other hunter was coming up behind me and I was directly in his line of fire. When the other hunter crested the hill the bird busted and ran. Of course the other guy was swinging on him as he ran and there I sat as still as I could. I yelled a 4 letter word when I heard him click off his safety and thankfully he didn't shoot. Replaying it, he was a little shook up as his shot window and spread would have been close!

We came in from totally different areas so he didn't know I was there. I knew he was due to his call. Not saying I sound good, but he stated he thought it was a hen. Just got to me. As close as it all was I am wondering what I could have done differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

That is why your not supposed to sneak up and try to shoot a gobbling turkey. It could turn out bad for the guy sneaking or the guy sitting.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Turkeyman

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 04, 2020, 02:52:16 AM
That is why your not supposed to sneak up and try to shoot a gobbling turkey. It could turn out bad for the guy sneaking or the guy sitting.

Agreed...but there's a difference between sneaking to get a shot and sneaking to get in position. If I hear a bird a couple hundred yards away I'm going to sneak to position on him as close as the cover and terrain will allow. In that process if I hear, or see, some other hunter I'm going to back out...or sit/watch and wish him the best! This is one reason why, when I hear a bird gobbling on his own outside "normal" gobbling time, I'm keenly aware of potential other hunter.

fallhnt

It's what happens when turkey hunting. All these threads about reaping being dangerous.....pfff  This is why you are supposed to set up on a tree wider than your shoulders. I'm sure the guy didn't know he was sneaking up on you. People will move towards any turkey sound.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Paulmyr

:anim_25:
Quote from: fallhnt on April 04, 2020, 09:22:10 AM
It's what happens when turkey hunting. All these threads about reaping being dangerous.....pfff  This is why you are supposed to set up on a tree wider than your shoulders. I'm sure the guy didn't know he was sneaking up on you. People will move towards any turkey sound.

That's not what happens when turkey hunting. It's what happens when you don't know how to turkey hunt. It's what happens when killing a turkey is more important to you than safety in the field.
How is a tree wider than your shoulders going to keep a guy from shooting you in the face while peeking over a hill trying to bushwack a bird he did not call in or you from shooting him when he is belly crawling to shoot a turkey that is right in front of you. That's not the kind of of excitement I'm looking.

My brother and I were hunting northern Georgia on the Pinhoti trail during the afternoon. My brother is set up just off the trail. After calling a few times he is positive he hears a Tom spitting just over the rise coming up the trail. My brother is a good Hunter but not that experience in turkey hunting at the time. He has his gun up a ready to shoot. He views what looks like a turkey fan cresting the hill on the trail through the brush. The excitement rises. He's starting breath heavy and shake a little. He is ready to pull the trigger. This will be the 2nd Tom he has ever shot. Being a good Hunter he makes sure to identify his target. When this turkey finally steps into the open my brother is amazed to see it has a human face. A hiker steps out wearing a frame backpack that protrudes up over his head in the shape of a turkey fan and using ski poles as walking sticks. Every time the hiker stuck his ski poles in the ground my brother swears it sounds just like a big Tom he shot 2 years earlier that was spitting and drumming while coming in. This hiker had no idea how close he was to getting a face full of lead. Luckily my brother was safety conscious and not some Yahoo who thinks that filling his tag is the more important than safety or the out come may have been extremely different for this guy enjoying the great outdoors.

The reaping crowd in this forum call a person who actually turkey hunts a pureist. That maybe the case but in reality it is the safest way to kill a Tom. If you choose to disregard saftey to kill a turkey by any means possible that is your choice. It's not my cup of tea. The word selfish comes to mind. Just remember when you choose unsafe methods your making decisions for everyone that may be hunting in your area and not just for youself.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

fallhnt

That's my whole point. I don't write novels. It's not safe while hunting with amautures. It's up to us to hunt defensively

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Happy

Maybe they should have a some "Kiddie pool" areas.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Spitten and drummen

Internet and hunting shows have ruined the sport for the most part. Too many yahoos running around trying to get hero pics for facebook. Makes me sick to my stomache.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

DerekDixon

I still wear hunter orange turkey hunting on public land, just not as much require when deer hunting. Have not noticed a difference in the birds reaction when I am or not wearing it.

Tail Feathers

Don't wave but speak loudly in a non-yelling tone and say "STOP! I'm over here" before standing up.  That gives him time to locate you before you move.  No turkey is worth getting shot over. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Paulmyr

Quote from: Tail Feathers on April 04, 2020, 05:15:46 PM
Don't wave but speak loudly in a non-yelling tone and say "STOP! I'm over here" before standing up.  That gives him time to locate you before you move.  No turkey is worth getting shot over.
That is good advice right there!

falltoms

I hunt almost exclusively public land in 4 states every year. I will Not work a bird that someone else is. Most of today's hunters cannot distinguish real hen talk from someone calling. There are many idiots running around on public land, with no Ethics what so ever. Ethics are an important part of hunting for me. Unfortunately there not for many. I've just accepted the fact idiots are going to be idiots. I just keep going, most of these so called hunters give up after awhile.

Gooserbat

Sound's like you did everything you could. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mhamby

I would abort mission and make my presence known if they didn't get the hint. No bird is worth getting shot over.
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 04, 2020, 03:42:43 PM
Internet and hunting shows have ruined the sport for the most part. Too many yahoos running around trying to get hero pics for facebook. Makes me sick to my stomache.
Agree and wanting to video kill's for Youtube also..