OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey fight

Started by jwm1485, April 01, 2020, 11:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwm1485

This was sent to me from the land owners where we hunt. Two flocks fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23NR8Tr9Qs8

tomstopper

Man. I am available to help you reduce some of those bullies if need be.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

jwm1485

Yeah it was a pretty promising sign. Hopefully nothing gets messed up with this virus.

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

WAGinVA

I observed a similar fight in central VA a couple of years ago while quail hunting.  I kept hearing a strange noise that I could not identify in some mature pines adjacent to the cutover I was hunting.  I went to investigate with two setters with beeper collars that were on and working.  The dogs were so freaked out that they cam back to heal and walked beside me.  The fighting gobblers let me (dressed in blaze orange)  and two bird dogs with beeper collars going off walk up within 30 yards as they continued to fight.  They never quit but just moved away fighting the whole time.

Fast forward about 4 months and I was back at a high listening post knowing that I was going to hear so many gobblers I would not know which one to go to.  Not one peep.

Timmer

That's cool.  Here on my property in MN we had a flock of up to 40  hanging around all winter and saw them daily.  Fighting and strutting had been increasing over the last several weeks.   It appears spring and sprung and they have now split up.  We are seeing 1-3 here and there. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

strum

WisTurk

Wow, never seen anything like that before!  Crazy!  My brother hunts up in Door County...he's been pretty successful the last few years and I can see why.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

GobbleNut

Very cool!
Reminds me of a last-day hunt I had several years ago.  Set up on a group of gobblers on the roost, got in real early in the dark and got close.  There were several mature birds and a bunch of jakes, as well as some hens. 

The hens started flying down, some landing within a few yards.  I figured it was all over but the shooting as soon as any of the gobblers came down.  They came down all right,...about a dozen of them,...fifteen yards away,...but they all hit the ground in a bunch and started fighting like in the video. 

I was trying to pick out a single bird to shoot, but they all just stayed in a bunch flailing around at each other.  One would dart out,...and then back into the pile before I could get on him.  Then another one would do the same. 

Pretty quickly they all ran over a rise away from me and out of sight,...never presenting a clear shot at a single bird!  It was the coolest thing to see,...but frustrating as heck! 

bbcoach

That is SWEEEEEEEET!  If you want to learn what a Gobbler yelp or Fighting Purr TRULY sounds like, you now have a First Rate account from Live video.  Awesome!

310 gauge

That was super sweet....haven't seen that many Toms in my whole County this year.....lol

g8rvet

Very cool.  I heard it this year for the first time, across a 100 yard wide river from me.  We heard the two birds gobbling and getting closer and we eased close to them just to mark them for the next day.  We then heard this noise as they went at it.  I called to them and they started up again after they had quit.  I called again and one appeared on the bank and proceeded to fly across to us!  Oops.  His buddy chased him, but we were so focused on the lead bird we did not even see the follower until we had shot the first one.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bear hunter

i dont think there is that many gobblers in my whole county.

Kytomgetter

That's crazy. Looked like the North vs. South at the beginning. Yea I help you out with the herd thinning. Lol looks very promising. Thanks for sharing