OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which style Jake would you prefer

Started by RiverRoost, April 01, 2020, 02:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearcat1997

Quote from: RiverRoost on April 02, 2020, 09:15:33 AM
For a single decoy what position do you think is best, 1/4 strut, 1/2 strut or full strut Jake?
My personal preference would be 1/4 with the close second being 1/2

Mossberg90MN

Not to high Jack a thread... just have a questions based off what I'm reading here...

Do you need a hen as well? Or will a Jake suffice?

I prefer to be mobile and it's easier to just carry a Jake in my game bag vs a Jake and hen.

Don't know if I'm missing something by just carrying a Jake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverRoost

I'm with you mossberg, if I carry one I only want it to be one

MK M GOBL

If your going to do only one go with that DSD 3/4 Strut Jake/Posturing Jake. A lone hen can hurt you, and if I set lone hen it's a feeder not the upright. I had toms hang up on the single hen waiting for her to walk over once he's seen her...

MK M GOBL

MichaelC

I hunt mulitple states ea season and use decoys about half the time.  For me it's a handy tool out here in the west with such open landscapes.  That said, I'm slowly converting to 100% DSD and use both a jake and/or a full strut gobbler for the appropriate situation.  Super happy with them for all the reasons already stated. 

That said, I needed to fly vs drive for self guided TX hunt last spring and due to baggage  space/ logistics took the ranch owners advice and picked up a funky chicken.  Damn- it's the stupidest looking thing I's ever seen but worked great.  One hunt I'll never forget- it was with that freak decoy and a hen for an early afternoon set up in a pasture/ creek bottom I'd seen and heard birds earlier.  It wasn't 20 mins I heard a gobble response and damned if 3 longbeards didn't come sprinting in and proceeded to beat the crap out of that decoy. In TX you can shoot more that one bird a day and the limit is 4. 

The end result was the heaviest walkout I'd ever had and probably ever will!

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: MichaelC on April 02, 2020, 09:08:30 PM
I hunt mulitple states ea season and use decoys about half the time.  For me it's a handy tool out here in the west with such open landscapes.  That said, I'm slowly converting to 100% DSD and use both a jake and/or a full strut gobbler for the appropriate situation.  Super happy with them for all the reasons already stated. 

That said, I needed to fly vs drive for self guided TX hunt last spring and due to baggage  space/ logistics took the ranch owners advice and picked up a funky chicken.  Damn- it's the stupidest looking thing I's ever seen but worked great.  One hunt I'll never forget- it was with that freak decoy and a hen for an early afternoon set up in a pasture/ creek bottom I'd seen and heard birds earlier.  It wasn't 20 mins I heard a gobble response and damned if 3 longbeards didn't come sprinting in and proceeded to beat the crap out of that decoy. In TX you can shoot more that one bird a day and the limit is 4. 

The end result was the heaviest walkout I'd ever had and probably ever will!
Wow man! I have an Avian X 1/4 strut Jake. Also a Montana Jake decoy.

I've heard great stuff about that funky chicken. I wonder what it is about that Jake that works so well...

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on April 02, 2020, 10:09:34 PM

I've heard great stuff about that funky chicken. I wonder what it is about that Jake that works so well...

The Funky is easy to explain and uses simple turkey biology, so in the RED fight stage of turkey interaction, a high upright head and "LONG" extended neck and then add the subdued body size he is just looking to have his tail kicked.

MK M GOBL

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 02, 2020, 10:20:12 PM
Quote from: Mossberg90MN on April 02, 2020, 10:09:34 PM

The Funky is easy to explain and uses simple turkey biology, so in the RED fight stage of turkey interaction, a high upright head and "LONG" extended neck and then add the subdued body size he is just looking to have his tail kicked.

MK M GOBL
Do you use a funky chicken?

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on April 02, 2020, 10:21:39 PM

Nope, only DSD's.

MK M GOBL

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 02, 2020, 10:24:16 PM
Quote from: Mossberg90MN on April 02, 2020, 10:21:39 PM

Nope, only DSD's.

MK M GOBL
Well I hear DSD is the best anyways so... sounds good. I'm gonna give my Montana decoy a shot. Hopefully it will fool them. If not I got my avian X.

joey46

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 01, 2020, 02:46:14 PM
Funky chicken

Hard to beat Funky.  Had Funky and a hen out.  This guy and a buddy came up to peck on Funky.  It was a mistake.

wernerjd

DSD, made right here in the great old USA.

SOCOM304

DSD for me. Unbelievable realism. Birds lock on them and stay locked. I know lesser decoys will bring them, but DSD's keep em around. I don't use them all the time, but when I do, the experience is awesome.

SOCOM304

PS I use the 3/4 strut jake. Gobblers come to it first usually.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: SOCOM304 on April 04, 2020, 10:09:03 AM
PS I use the 3/4 strut jake. Gobblers come to it first usually.
Do you just use a Jake?