OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which style Jake would you prefer

Started by RiverRoost, April 01, 2020, 02:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

I'm not big on carrying decoys, mainly bc they get in the way and I'd rather have the hen coming in looking for me but from time to time I will carry a Jake as I think it wouldn't scare off a gobbler and perhaps entice a gobbler that "has come far enough" to finish coming in if he sees the Jake and not the hen he's hearing. This got me to thinking which brand Jake and what posture type would be the best if you had to carry a Jake. The DSD's look nice but are they really worth the extra money?

turkeymanjim

3/4 strut DSD, YES WORTH EVERY PENNY.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

idratherb

funky chicken on an RC car, you don't even need to carry calls...

RiverRoost

Forgot to mention I do have a avian x 1/4 strut Jake.

Man I don't know if I can sit quiet with a funky chicken out in front!! That thing is for sure funky looking!!!

Timmer

The DSD decoys are quite large.  If you don't like carrying a decoy, consider the size of this one.  I like to run and gun. I carry decoys a good share of the time but question why I do because I don't use them all that often.  I have a Dakota, which is a supposed knock off of the DSD, and nearly exactly the same size.  I have not carried it into the field even once.  It is just too big for me.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

MJW

DSD 3/4 strut.  Definitely worth it

zelmo1

Shoreguy

Quote from: MJW on April 01, 2020, 05:42:31 PM
DSD 3/4 strut.  Definitely worth it
Agreed. It worth the price and having to carry it

tlh2865

What do you guys think of the half strut decoys like DSD's "posturing Jake"?

MK M GOBL

DSD is worth the money, a few of mine have taken pellet hits and one was clean blown right off the stake, really no worse for the wear and still hunting her. If someone would like to test an Avian, step back about 12 yards and shoot their decoy top 1/4 of the back and post the results. Mine is pictured below.

DSD 3/4 Strut Jake and an Upright Hen are my Run & Gun pair, and a few reasons to it.

Jake is in a Subordinate position
Upright Hen can be set both on/off stake, off stake she looks like a "breeding hen"
Upright hen is also a draw to a "live" hen (part of their social structure)

As far as the new Posturing Jake, (I'll have one next year!) YUP I could see this set with Upright as well, but as you mentioned he is going to be bigger bodied than the 3/4.

MK M GOBL

RiverRoost

The new DSD posturing Jake does look pretty sweet. Is there any harm or pointless to carry just a Jake? My thought process is that the incoming gobbler sees the Jake and only hears the hen so he may be pretty tempted to come in and run the Jake off from wherever the hen "supposedly" is. Seems like this tactic would as much effective as a gobbler seeing the Jake and hen decoy together just I wouldn't have to tote the bulk of two decoys

RiverRoost

For a single decoy what position do you think is best, 1/4 strut, 1/2 strut or full strut Jake?

Bucktale

Here in NE Florida, I've put the full DSD strut Jake out with an upright hen 5 times this season. I've had gobblers in them every time, including breeding the hen twice. I've actually decided to stop using  for hunting myself, because it doesn't seem fair. Great for getting pics, tho.