OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Out of state public land camping tips

Started by RiverRoost, March 31, 2020, 03:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

I'm from MS and thinking about making a public land trip to Missouri of the state allows out of state hunters. I'm in the ag field so my out of state trips are on a spur of the moment call which is kinda why I wanna do a public land/camp hunt for a long weekend, plus with the virus scare and wife being pregnant I don't really want to go to a lodge with other guys and risking bringing something home to her. I've  never done an out of state camping/hunting trip so wanted to ask you guys some thing to consider, do/don't do, etc. If I make a trip I'll be doing the tent thing and not sleeping in my truck type hunting. Thanks for the advice and tips

hotspur

I'm leaving Friday for a camping hunting trip, not out of state though. One thing I am doing is pre  cooking meals and freezing them in jars so all I have to do is heat them up.

ddturkeyhunter

The way things are changing fast it may not happen if you would like to go or not. What your thinking of do and want to know what to bring depends on a lot of things. First time I went to Florida in 2009 I sent a tent to a UPS store flew down there rented a car and went. Stop at store got two cases of bottle water and four extra gal jugs. Got anything to eat that didnt need to be cold and went hunting. So depends if you can eat junk food or need a three course meal. Just bring what every you would when ever you go on any one of your hunting trips.

Marc

Just make sure you are completely self-contained (food, water, TP, cooking supplies, hunting supplies, etc.).

With the numbers I am looking at currently, I have cancelled all my hunting (and other) travel plans.  Even on a 3 hour trip it is difficult to avoid anyone and everyone if I plan to go over-night. 

With a pregnant wife at home, I would seriously reconsider an out-of-state trip...  Granted, with a pregnant wife at home, I understand the urge to get out of the house...

Here is what you do...  Tell the wife you are going on a hunting trip...  Drive the 10 minutes to your local hunting spot, and camp out for 3 days.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

hotspur

Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on March 31, 2020, 04:38:14 PM
The way things are changing fast it may not happen if you would like to go or not. What your thinking of do and want to know what to bring depends on a lot of things. First time I went to Florida in 2009 I sent a tent to a UPS store flew down there rented a car and went. Stop at store got two cases of bottle water and four extra gal jugs. Got anything to eat that didnt need to be cold and went hunting. So depends if you can eat junk food or need a three course meal. Just bring what every you would when ever you go on any one of your hunting trips.
I've done all that in the past, I'mnot making 3  course meals here, but iI'm not eating junk can't stand it anymore. Another thing I'mllooking into is a cott , its getting harder to get up anymore.

Gooserbat

Take everything you need to eat, I really recommend a cot, and take a small folding table and a chair. Also some form of hand free light be it a head lamp, or lantern,  I always pack a wash cloth, soap and towel.  Any thing close to a bath is better than swamp butt. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

peewee

River roost, I'm from MS too and may do the same thing. I'm going to sit back and watch the situation in the next 3 weeks. I have already camped twice on public land this season in MS and I tent camp often following MSU sports. So here's my tips. I have an instant tent and it can be set up in less than 10 minutes. Get you a Ryobi 18v air inflator (~$25) and a single air up matrices from Walmart ($7) and you are good to go. Bring a chair to sit outside tent. I have several camp lanterns that I can recharge in my truck. One of them even has a USB port and I charge my phone with it at night.  For food just bring some jerky, lunch meat, nuts and fruit. But a $2 case of water at Kroger and drink that. I will also use it to bath with (wash rag, towel to wipe down with). With 1 bottle I of water I can wipe down and shave.  I freeze big jugs of water before hand and throw it in my cooler (40 qt RTIC) and it keeps cool for several days. You can always pick up a bag of ice.  For hunting I don't bring a table b/c some camping spots are
small, I just use my tailgate.

I'm thinking about making it easier and going hammock only. I have the hammock but I need a bug net and rain fly. That's my next experiment.

POk3s

The only other thing I would add to this is to look up what spots are legal for primitive camping in that state. Out west this is easy as national forest land and BLM land are all acceptable places to camp wherever you see fit. Usually state owned lands mean you have to pay to camp, which means campgrounds, which means that at the current state of affairs those are probably closed. Digging into a place you'll DEFINITELY be able to camp is key.

Tunaguy

I'm not sure what the weather is there but make sure you have a warm enough sleeping bag and/or Mr Buddy heater. The first time I camped out in upstate NY for a May 1st opener I wasn't ready for the night temperatures and froze my but off!
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Ctrize

I f you have camped before then you should be set. We come in from Mich and hunt private each year. Be sure to have sleeping gear and clothes for some cold/wet weather. I have done the camp and travel hunt in the past so go with the biggest tent you can handle. A day or two of storms make for a long day in a single or two man dome. Yes go with the cot. You can only hunt til 1 pm so be ready for that. Also it's a tough call to hit the opener for one bird or wait and run the second week so you can take two birds. With only three days I would hit the opener. Even on private there are alot of guys out on the opener then it tapers off. Im not sure that will be the case this year. Ticks are plentyful.

RiverRoost

Quote from: peewee on April 01, 2020, 04:33:25 AM
River roost, I'm from MS too and may do the same thing. I'm going to sit back and watch the situation in the next 3 weeks. I have already camped twice on public land this season in MS and I tent camp often following MSU sports. So here's my tips. I have an instant tent and it can be set up in less than 10 minutes. Get you a Ryobi 18v air inflator (~$25) and a single air up matrices from Walmart ($7) and you are good to go. Bring a chair to sit outside tent. I have several camp lanterns that I can recharge in my truck. One of them even has a USB port and I charge my phone with it at night.  For food just bring some jerky, lunch meat, nuts and fruit. But a $2 case of water at Kroger and drink that. I will also use it to bath with (wash rag, towel to wipe down with). With 1 bottle I of water I can wipe down and shave.  I freeze big jugs of water before hand and throw it in my cooler (40 qt RTIC) and it keeps cool for several days. You can always pick up a bag of ice.  For hunting I don't bring a table b/c some camping spots are
small, I just use my tailgate.

I'm thinking about making it easier and going hammock only. I have the hammock but I need a bug net and rain fly. That's my next experiment.   

Thanks a lot man. I graduated from State about 12 years ago and make it to game from time to time. I'm thinking with my home situation that if I do go out of state that a public camping will be the safest way to do it

Hook hanger

Rural areas have the virus and spreading in Missouri I would not risk bringing Corona virus back to a pregnant wife.