turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

On the Board with an Alabama Public Land Gobbler

Started by uarobert, March 30, 2020, 10:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uarobert

I heard him at 6:30 and got within 100yd of his roost.
There was quite a ruckus of gobbling and both sexes yelping, so I was worried hens would ruin it for me, but I called and added Jake yelps and fighting. Pretty soon a lone hen comes strolling in yelping. After a minute, she turned around back the way she came, but the gobbler was hammering really close, just over the hilltop. I finally started seeing his head. As soon as I got a good look at his head and chest, I fired....but it was further than I thought with too much brush in between. He went flying one way and 3 behind him went the other.
I decided to stick it out and call again after a while.
After a couple hours, I moved in the direction the others had gone, set up and called.
Just before 11, he sounded off, very close in the direction of my original setup. I could tell he was over the hill, so I quickly turned that way. He gobbled again, came into view and started making a bee line toward me. He went down the hill and when he started coming up my hill, to my left, I was able to swing on him. As soon as he came out from behind a tree, he was perfect for a 30yd shot.
1 1/4" spurs, 10" beard(pretty thin, though) and exactly 20 lb bone dry.

Hobbes

Congrats.  Nice photos.  I love the sight if an Eastern laying on the hardwoods forest floor.

Greg Massey

Yoteduster

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

tomstopper

Nicely done. Congrats

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

tlh2865

Beards and Hooks

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

goblr77

kyturkeyhunter4

greencop01

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."