turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Marking territory, right or wrong?

Started by kytrkyhntr, March 29, 2020, 01:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kytrkyhntr

One of the public spots I hunt has a pull off that can comfortably park 2-3 trucks. The gated road goes back 5-6 hundred yards before it splits into 3 separate trails that go 3 separate directions. My question is... assuming you're the first one there and first of of your truck.. if you were already back there at the split and mark the trail you proceeded down with some sort of sign like almost a "Hunters ahead" type sign (to obviously be removed at the end of the hunt) would that be a stupid idea? Right? Wrong? My first thought is that it's a waste of time. But if I'm going to be that early I don't want to wait at the gate to let them know. It's an idea a buddy of mine and I discussed this morning. Ever done anything like this or seen anything like it? Just want to keep everyone safe distances and not on top of each other. Obviously there's a chunk of idiots who don't care but most people on here have sense. What's your opinion?
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

silvestris

I would flag one of the roads you do not intend to hunt, because you know the others are going to come in on top of you, thinking you know some stuff they don't.  Psychology.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

owlhoot

Will be a hit and miss situation. Missouri public land has those parking lots, trails go right off of them to.
You can go down the road a mile and park and sure enough those from the other parking lot will walk up to the gobbling birds.
Best thing is to get off the trails as far as you can.
Of course some will park right there with you thinking you may know something as silvestris said.

Greg Massey

I don't see marking the trail your hunting is going to help you much , sure it might change the mine of a hunter , but it could also cause that hunter to follow your direction. In my opinion , you needed to get very versatile in your public land hunting. If you watch the Hunting Public guys hunt in Miss these pass few weeks , they had hunters come up to them while hunting etc, and they still managed to kill birds. Remember public land is just what it is, land that gives people the opportunity to hunt. Good luck this season.

Tom007

Great post. This reminds of a story and tactic I used public deer hunting in PA. I had a great spot on a ridge that I hunted for years. One year I got in real early, set up. Probably 1.5 hours before light. About 10 minutes before light, another hunter came in on me. I flashed my light at him, he flashed his back. He proceeded to sit down 50 yards away. Hunt ruined. All I heard was snorting. I came up with a brilliant idea the following year. I bought 10 cheap flashlights, and some electrical tape. On opening day on my way into my stand, I strategically taped the lights on the trail pointed in all directions, and turned them on. Looked like 10 guys in there. Needless to say, I had no one walk in on me. I shot my buck, collected my lights on the way out, hunt over...success. I like your idea of the flag, you should be rewarded for getting up early and getting there first. I sure would respect that......
"Solo hunter"

idgobble

Post a sign that says, Warning!  Rattlesnake and Copperhead breeding area."

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Southerngobbler

I think in the long run the more secretive you can keep it the better.

redjones

I like to get in the woods early as most do,so I doubt I would notice a sign or tape etc. in the pitch dark.
We have used the flashlight trick in the marsh before while duck hunting,hang 2-3 on fiberglass rods downwind a 100yds or so of where we wanted to hunt and let the wind blow them around they look somebody setting decoys,and most guys move along.

Greg
Semper Fi

fallhnt

Post it up. Keep those guys out

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Bowguy

Waste of time. You're bound to get as many guys walking in on you either way and some walking in purposely. The few that would respect it are far between it seems.
Instead of the small effort why don't you just hunt somewhere else?
There's so many ways to make distance. I'll never get these type posts.
Since the early 80s I've had only a couple guys I ever even saw. I live in NJ. If I can find room I'd think anyone could.
Walk further, climb higher, cross a swamp, river, brook, reservoir, mtn. The best spots aren't the low hanging fruit spots.
Same way when I duck hunted a bunch. Two ways to do this, pay for big exclusive areas or work just a little harder or differently than others. Most guys are flat out lazy

Bowguy

After retreading that so no mistake is made I'm referring not to the op, his competition I bet isn't too hard to beat. The guys that would be toughest here will respect you the most. If I saw one car anywhere near my area I'd never hunt it.

Tom007

Amen, I see a car parked, I move on to a remote honey hole. Got to have them in pocket all the time...... :OGani:
"Solo hunter"

Brian Fahs

Everyone gets along fine till a turkey gobbles.......then all bets on playing nice are over.

GunRunner

I agree with Tom007.

If there is one vehicle there, I am moving on.....even when knowing the trail breaks off in 3 directions.
If you are desperate enough to risk going in on someone, then you are not much of a sportsman in my book.

GunRunner