OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Coyotes affecting Gobbling

Started by Tetelestai, March 28, 2020, 08:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tetelestai

Over the last couple of years we've seen a big increase in the number of coyotes on our hunting property and it seems that Gobblers are not gobbling as much when they hit the ground as they did in years past. Do you think this could be attributed to the increase in the number of coyotes?

BigSlam51

Most likely, that's why I try to do my part in removing some every year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

It is my belief without a doubt. Kill every one of those mangy vermin that you can. Reduce the number of yotes , bobcats and fox and you will see a difference I would bet.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Tetelestai

It definitely makes hunting a lot more difficult. Killed a couple last year that never gobbled. It makes for a more exciting hunt when you can hear them coming your way.

Cowboy

My thoughts exactly.  We are covered up in coyotes around here. I killed a couple yotes few weeks ago. Two mornings last week saw a pair right here again.

Cowboy

My thoughts exactly.  We are covered up in coyotes around here. I killed a couple yotes few weeks ago. Two mornings last week saw a pair right here again.

bigriverbum

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQO5bP5NABBSXdarw-S6GR8idDVkucCJo5o85D_n0Tr8Xer_rg2

i saw a coyote out on the ice about 3 weeks ago. it was about 100 yards out from shore on the right hand side of this picture. damn things are everywhere

Tetelestai

We talked with a biologist that said the numbers are increasing because they are breeding with stray or feral dogs and as a result the numbers are increasing exponentially.

tomstopper

Predator control is a must

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

mikejd

I have been noticing this for atleast 10 years now. I have called Coyotes in that were actually looking up into the trees for birds. Gobbling is almost a thing of the past by me. I know there are birds around but after fly down it is rare to hear a gobble anymore.

Rigderunner

I was hunting some nf land near my house last weekend watching some birds across a field when a yote ran out right at dark and grabbed a hen. The birds flew and ran in every direction. The next two days were silent no gobbling and hardly a sight of birds

Tetelestai

Not hearing turkeys definitely takes some of the enjoyment out of the hunt. Like others have said, I know they are around, but when I don't hear them, I get frustrated and want to move to another spot to see if I can hear one gobble and end up running turkeys off when leaving the area. It makes the turkeys much smarter and that much harder to hunt.

Greg Massey

I think turkeys are just gobbling less and i'm sure the predators play a big part.

fallhnt

You do realize birds gobble to attract hens to breed. Just saying

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Tetelestai

Of course. Thanks for the hunting lesson.