turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunt solo or with your buddies?

Started by GunRunner, March 25, 2020, 12:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

I normally hunt solo but for several years, I've been calling and mentoring a couple of my buddies a few days of the season.  It is GREAT fun.  It gives us time to catch up and share a passion we all Love.  This season, I'm taking a young man that is 70 years old, that has never killed a bird.  He has hunted for many years but hasn't ever turkey hunted.  I would love for him to have that THRILL, we all experience.   

RiverRoost

Mostly solo for me. I feel kinda bad for going solo so much because I have a brother that's 3 years younger than me and loves to turkey hunt too and a dad that's still in the game. I can hunt with my dad and me dictate the hunt but when me and my brother get together, haha it's almost like a race to be out front or which strategy to take. But we do make a couple hunts together deer duck and turkey hunting bc we are so close of friends    But I'm kinda a greedy turkey hunter! I like calling when I want, and moving when and where I want.

Harty

With both of you're medical conditions take no chances. Solo!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 25, 2020, 02:32:35 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on March 25, 2020, 02:26:05 PM
Solo for me , that's the way it's been for years . And as far as mentoring someone , i don't know all about that.
He might have a whole new meaning to SirDie...Kidding...Hope not..
I come in contact with people everyday whether I like it(which I don't even without this monkey stew or whatever crap going around) i was told and this was not by a doctor that if you have it without the bad symptoms and are a carrier one way to tell is your sense of smell & taste goes away....Anyone else hear this??
It is my landlords granddaughter and she lives downstairs anyway so.....
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

crow

Quote from: GunRunner on March 25, 2020, 01:53:43 PM
Thanks for your responses.

I should clarify a bit. My buddy and I never set up side by side, but we usually go into the same area and many times after the same bird or group of birds but will often set up at least 100 yards apart or more. Sometimes he will go down a different trail or will drop one off and drive around the other side of a block a half mile away or so. But this means communicating in close quarters as we plan our strategy.

Thanks again

GunRunner

if communicating is the issue, you could text if you have cell phone signal or
hand held walkie talkie's if no signal.

For silent communication, you could learn to use those signal flags like on aircraft carriers or there is always Indian sign language.  :smiley-char092:

Buckman84

Used to hunt solo slot and still do on certain occasions but got my son interested in hunting so he's my partner in crime!

Sixes

Solo 75% of the time. My Dad hunts with me about 25% of the time, but his health is failing, so he either sits in the truck or at camp.

But as long as he wants to go, I will go with him

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 25, 2020, 05:09:53 PM
Solo for me , that's the way it's been for years . And as far as mentoring someone , i don't know all about that.
I come in contact with people everyday whether I like it(which I don't even without this monkey stew or whatever crap going around) i was told and this was not by a doctor that if you have it without the bad symptoms and are a carrier one way to tell is your sense of smell & taste goes away....Anyone else hear this??
My comment was about me mentoring someone. 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 25, 2020, 05:46:11 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 25, 2020, 05:09:53 PM
My comment was about me mentoring someone.
Here is exactly what I just sent you when you said something on private message.
"You are only in the quote because I quoted him and he had quoted you, that is the systems fault. I fully understand you were not talking about me bud, we are good."
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yoder409

Nearly always solo.  I move to fast over rough terrain for most to keep up.............

However..........my absolute BEST turkey huntin buddy is my 15 year old daughter and I would hunt with her EVERY DAY if we could.  Occasionally hunt with my brother as well.  But as far as "turkey hunting buddies"..........no.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

camotoe

Mostly solo, I have a buddy I'm mentoring and last week on the ride to our hunt he tells me he has s scratchy throat he worked the elections in dade county the week before.... if we where not already in my truck I would of told him drive your car and follow me . This is something I don't need to play with , no turkey is worth it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: camotoe on March 25, 2020, 05:59:31 PM
Mostly solo, I have a buddy I'm mentoring and last week on the ride to our hunt he tells me he has s scratchy throat he worked the elections in dade county the week before.... if we where not already in my truck I would of told him drive your car and follow me . This is something I don't need to play with , no turkey is worth it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol..You should of pulled over when he told you that and looked at him and then the back of the truck.  :TooFunny:

Mossberg90MN

I feel it's fun to have a hunting partner. The thing I've noticed is I tend to talk a little more and maybe bring my guard down a little. I feel like I'm on my A game when I'm by myself.

It would be a whole lot easier to stay in the woods the entire day if you have a buddy to keep you company. Also works good for strategy.

My vote is solo... with occasional buddy to maybe help break things up a little.

roberthyman14

I like both. When I buddy hunt I do prefer someone that thinks like I do.  Kinda get in a groove that way.  I do enjoy solo hunting to.  I can do everything my way at the time I want. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Happy

If I am actually hunting I prefer solo. If someone is with me then they are the shooter. Pedro is about the only one that tags along with me but now that he is 16 I have started to gradually kick him off on his own. Not because I dont enjoy hunting with him but because he needs to start learning how to do it by himself. I do occasionally take a friend and his son but honestly if I go out with another serious Turkey hunter my preference is for us to split up and do our thing. We can meet up later after the hunt to tell lies.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club