turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunt solo or with your buddies?

Started by GunRunner, March 25, 2020, 12:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clavette

I love hunting with my friends. I used to be a solo hunter until I met my buddies. We have some very experienced hunters in our group and it's always so fun to be out in the wild with them. They literally know everything about hunting and nature. Last year we had been to Greece together for a hunting trip, one of them had a hunting property in Greece in the woods and we stayed there for a week. One of the most interesting experiences of my life.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Bowguy on March 27, 2020, 07:04:19 AM
One thing many it seems aren't thinking about is the mail or delivered pkgs. i
Idk if you've ever been or worked at a post office hub but things come from everywhere. Something contaminated could cross contaminate everything.
Think about your mail, deliveries more than a clean partner

Right on.  I have been spraying all deliveries/mail with a disinfectant before touching or bringing into the house.  Unfortunately, my wife has been a bit lax in that regard, even though I have pointed out this very problem.  (I have asked her not to even order anything right now,...but she is a woman after all)

Then again, the insides of packages could also be contaminated,...so we need to spray that, as well. 
....and then again, where the package was left in the mail box or on the doorstep might be contaminated, so that needs to be sprayed.... 
....and then again, where the delivery man (or anybody else) walked up to the house could be contaminated,...or I could get the virus on the bottom of my shoes just walking around, so I need to spray those every time I leave,...and then re-enter,... the house, as well...

Seems we need to spray everything all the time.  When you think about all the possibilities of where we might pick it up, it kind of gives you that "why bother?" feeling inside.... (although I am doing my best to "bother")

Dtrkyman

First timers, mainly kids, that is the most enjoyable anymore.

But I like it all, hunt with several good friends each year that are turkey slayers and also hunt with some guys that couldn't kill a bird at the market.

Good solo hunts are enjoyable as well!  I just like huntin turkeys!!!

tomstopper

Normally by myself unless taking a youth but as of last year, I hopefully will have my daughter hunting with me for many years to come

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

darron

I'm surprised at how many of you hunt solo. I've hunted solo before but like to hunt with a buddy. Like was mentioned I hunt with a friend who is like minded and we think pretty much alike. I have a couple spots I'll hunt solo and feel comfortable. I have several spots that are large rugged areas that I refuse to hunt alone. Something as simple as a sprained ankle could make it a real nightmare to get out.

Southernson13

I like the company on public land but places I worked hard for I like to have all the spoils to myself.

Southernson13

I like the company on public land but places I worked hard for I like to have all the spoils to myself.

Kylongspur88

Even if I'm hunting with buddies we usually go separate ways.

Loyalist84

Turkey hunting was always something I did with my father since I was 13, but I also missed all the seasons I could hunt alone legally (18+) until this one since I did remote forestry work to pay for university that started the same time turkey season did. While I'm still going to go out with my Dad this season, I'll be looking for my first solo bird this year as well.

dzsmith

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 25, 2020, 01:08:01 PM
Kenny Morgan said it best " Turkey Hunting , A one  man game."
because that's what it is.......turkey hunting is me time. I can hunt with some like minded individuals. My dad for example. hes patient , very quiet, very still....and he can wait it out without blinking an eye for at least 2 hours so you know hes good for a setup. Is he going to hunt all day? nope....is he going to walk 5 miles or more? nope....cant blame him hes 64 years old and hes killed plenty of turkeys so if he cant get one on a morning hunt before 10 oclock at 1 mile or less he just wont , and it doesn't bother him. I refrain from hunting with people unless its their hunt for reasons just like this....When I go with my dad on the rare occasion that I do...its his hunt, not mine. My schedule typically never lines up to be able to go with my friends who are as avid about it as I am....there are some im sure I could hunt with fine, and there are some opportunites that I wish I would of had somebody there with me, but I prefer to primarily hunt by myself.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

trkehunr93

I fly solo 99% of the time unless one of my sons tag along. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 25, 2020, 01:08:01 PM
Kenny Morgan said it best " Turkey Hunting , A one  man game."
Agree
But sure like taking kids out. Other people being at a camp or farm is good though.
Spread out when hunt time comes though.
A few i have hunted with in the past have made me say that quote. They cant sit still, cough or call like crap.
And miss when you finally get a gobbler in. LOL.
I can't force myself to be the first shooter.
I do know that my success rate goes up dramatically when I either hunt alone or am calling the shots of where to set up, when to move or calling to do. 
Do have one good friend that when we go together instead of splitting up gobblers are in trouble.
He is a very good turkey hunter by himself and also one heck of a cook so those times are certainly enjoyed.  :lol:

Bearcat1997

The funnest, most memorable hunts I have had have been with family and friends.

Howie g

Besides taking my kids or nephews , I go solo 90 % of the time .  I like going at em at my own pace . 

tlh2865

I'm a solo man. Turkey hunting hunting is a getaway for me. Just Spend the time alone with the Good Lord in creation. Hard to beat for me. Although I do enjoy taking youths and teaching them the craft.