OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunt solo or with your buddies?

Started by GunRunner, March 25, 2020, 12:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

I hunt solo with my family a lot. Did it this morning.  We both went where the other was at the edge of gobbler hearing range and we kept each other informed when a bird gobbled.  We did not chase the same bird, but when mine flew down and shut up, I walked back up to the area my bro had heard a single gobble in the morning.  They were tight lipped this morning.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

GunRunner

Thanks everyone.

I typically hunt turkeys with my buddy and although we do not set up side by side, we ride together, scout together, strategize on the trail, and each lunch or late breakfast together and then return to the woods for early afternoon hunts.

My original question was related to abandoning these buddy hunting practices and each of us hunting solo because of the COVID-19 virus. Would not be as fun ....but may be the prudent thing to do and I was wondering if others were going alone to avoid contamination.

Thank you,

GunRunner

silvestris

Question?  What is a hunting buddy?
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

MK M GOBL

I normally hunt with someone or calling for them, do a Learn to Hunt, Mentored Hunts, Youth Hunt, hunt with friends and a newbie and started doing a Charity Hunt for a local fundraiser last year and another for this year, and will get a solo hunt in there a time or two. This year is going to be different, a lot of canceled hunts already... Have no idea how the season will go, taking it a week at a time and go from there.

MK M GOBL

turkey_picker

Always solo, unless with one of my boys (both are grown now). Only with someone else a couple of times

Cut N Run

These days I hunt solo 90% of the time.  I also love to hunt with my best friend.  We've been friends for 48 years and have hunted together for 45 of those years. Turkeys usually die when we get together. Sometimes we hunt side by side and sometimes we hunt a long ways apart on the same property. We've scored at least 12 doubles, hunting both together and separately.  In the years we've hunted together, I think we only missed 3 - 4 turkey seasons, mainly due to business travel. I wish I'd kept track of how many turkeys I've killed when we've been hunting together...it has been a few dozen.  He was there for my lifetime best gobbler and I called in his first double bearded gobbler.

The bacon & eggs victory breakfast we cook on the tailgate after the hunt is a great tradition, as are the adult beverages we enjoy at camp after the hunt.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Rzrbac

Almost always solo. If my son has time, we may hunt together for a morning. My cousin is the only other person to ever witness me killing a gobbler. Mainly because neither wanted to fill a tag. I've also had one buddy I hunted with once and we doubled. For the most part I hunt alone. In years past I've taken several folks who have killed their first bird, those were some of my more memorable hunts. I really enjoy taking someone who is new to turkey hunting. I'm older now and my nieces and nephews are all grown so no youth hunts and none of them are into turkey hunting anyway. These days it's just me and that's okay, does me some good for alone time.

ddturkeyhunter

I love hunting solo, that way if the turkey bust I like knowing it was from me blinking and not someone else moving. That being said I have gotten to the age I maybe shouldn't be out state hunting by my self. So I have to keep making up stories to tell the wife. I am meeting someone out there when I get there,It's worked so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jroddc

I hunt mostly solo but I do get out a few times a season with my one buddy. We've had pretty good luck hunting together, killed a bunch of doubles.

Bowguy

Quote from: Jroddc on March 26, 2020, 06:43:01 AM
I hunt mostly solo but I do get out a few times a season with my one buddy. We've had pretty good luck hunting together, killed a bunch of doubles.

I'm his buddy and we've had some great luck on doubles. I also hunt most often alone

Bowguy

Quote from: Bowguy on March 26, 2020, 06:46:57 AM
Quote from: Jroddc on March 26, 2020, 06:43:01 AM

I'm his buddy and we've had some great luck on doubles. I also hunt most often alone. Think we hunted 3-4 times together last year. 2 doubles.

Bowguy

The other

GobbleNut

It seems there are several sidebar questions being asked here:  One is if we prefer to hunt with others, or if we prefer to hunt alone?  My response to that is that I prefer to hunt alone but will hunt with others if the conditions at hand call for it (good topic for another thread...).  On the other hand, I prefer to go hunting (i.e.,,,go on hunting trips,... with others,...sometimes up to ten of us).

The other questions relate to whether, at this point in time, we should be going out with other people to go hunting, whether we hunt together or separately.  My response to that is if you are certain the individuals you are going to go hunting with have "followed the rules" in terms of limiting their chance of exposure to the virus, then the risk is minimal and I personally would not hesitate to go with them.

However, this spring I will have an "interrogation period" with anybody that I might possibly be going on a hunting trip with.  Anybody that has put themselves in situations that I feel will significantly increase the chance that they have been exposed to the virus, will be monitored closely in terms of close contact.  The "six foot" rule will be strictly adhered to, both in terms of personal contact and also in terms of keeping away from any source of viral contamination they may bring along.  All of the separate vehicles, separated personal items, separated food and food prep, etc. precautions will be applied diligently.

Now, the specific concern expressed about two "old guys" (don't get offended,...I am one myself!) going out together:  If you are certain both of you have taken the prescribed precautions about avoiding exposure, why not go together?  If you are not certain of that,....then don't.

Bowguy

I agree w the above post. If you've both been quarantining it'd hurt nothing to be together. One thing many it seems aren't thinking about is the mail or delivered pkgs. i
Idk if you've ever been or worked at a post office hub but things come from everywhere. Something contaminated could cross contaminate everything.
Take steps to protect yourself there. I'm not at all overly worried, I just want this nonsense to end so I can do things like hit the gym. Other than that my life hasn't actually changed. Think about your mail, deliveries more than a clean partner