OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunt solo or with your buddies?

Started by GunRunner, March 25, 2020, 12:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

My hunting buddy and I tried opening day with modifications in our normal routine. We both are mid sixties and have had heart bypasses so have some vulnerability to the virus. We took separate vehicles to our hunting spot. We packed separate lunches rather than eating our traditional lunch at the cafe near our hunting grounds. We tried to social distance as much as we could while strategizing in the woods....that was noisy and difficult. End result it was just not much fun hunting together with these precautions.
I am thinking it may be better for us to go solo. Better because we minimize exposure to each other and better for hunting success. We could stay  in touch on location in case we need assistance like getting a vehicle stuck and such.
Before suggesting this to my buddy, I thought I would see what others that typically hunt with one or two buddies are practicing or planning.

Thanks
GunRunner

dbishop

My hunting buddy and mentor works maintenance in a hospital which is exposing him to this junk way more than most folks.  If he's even able to take a day off to hunt here once Ohio's season opens in another month or so...I highly doubt we'll be hunting as a team this year.  We may not even make it down to our hunting spot, which is about two hours south, since the folks that own the property are elderly and immune compromised.  This spring will probably turn out to be a bummer for most here in Ohio due to the way the season falls amid this current situation.   I pray that all of us hunters will be able to remain healthy and find a way to enjoy God's great outdoors and hit the woods once season opens here.  Time will tell I suppose.  Good luck to everyone able to get out this spring and God bless.

Spitten and drummen

Kenny Morgan said it best " Turkey Hunting , A one  man game."
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Brian Fahs

crow

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 25, 2020, 01:08:01 PM
Kenny Morgan said it best " Turkey Hunting , A one  man game."

:icon_thumright:

This I think will give both of you a better hunt, virus or no virus.

If I hunt with someone in the same general area, we call to make sure your safe back at the truck at quitting time, if using separate trucks.

Sir-diealot

Solo, though I will be mentoring somebody this year.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

NCL

Mostly solo but with make a couple of outings with my daughter

hotspur

My hunting buddies bugged out to self quarantine for a month at their deer camp in the heart of Texas ,I ssuddenly have multiple places to roam I might have the whole state to myself. Sounds selfish  :goofball:

GunRunner

Thanks for your responses.

I should clarify a bit. My buddy and I never set up side by side, but we usually go into the same area and many times after the same bird or group of birds but will often set up at least 100 yards apart or more. Sometimes he will go down a different trail or will drop one off and drive around the other side of a block a half mile away or so. But this means communicating in close quarters as we plan our strategy.

Thanks again

GunRunner

Greg Massey

Solo for me , that's the way it's been for years . And as far as mentoring someone , i don't know all about that.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 25, 2020, 02:26:05 PM
Solo for me , that's the way it's been for years . And as far as mentoring someone , i don't know all about that.
He might have a whole new meaning to SirDie...Kidding...Hope not..
I come in contact with people everyday whether I like it(which I don't even without this monkey stew or whatever crap going around) i was told and this was not by a doctor that if you have it without the bad symptoms and are a carrier one way to tell is your sense of smell & taste goes away....Anyone else hear this??

davisd9

I loved to hunt solo, but it is also great to hunt with a buddy that you can work with and off each other. Going to miss not hunting with dirt road this year cause of this mess, but I always enjoy sitting with him.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Turkeytider

Looks like my hunting buddy and I are being delayed this year in getting together at the camp. His wife has lung issues, so it`s more than understandable his caution and her fears. Hopefully in a couple of weeks we`ll be able to get there.

When we do hunt, he`ll go to one area of the 400 or so acres and I`ll go to another. I suppose you`d say it`s solo hunting capped off in the evening with socializing over dinner and a drink with a friend of over 50 years, while watching the twilight set over the pines. Life don`t get much better than that, IMHO.

Muzzy61

I always have fun on the rare times that i do hunt with a buddy, but for the most part solo for me.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

I hunt solo, so this is the norm for me......be safe....
"Solo hunter"