OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many bb's does it take to kill?

Started by Bobby5, March 24, 2020, 11:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5

Ive searched and ive found different answers.  I was curious how many bb's does it take kill a turkey cleanly? 

THattaway

"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

bbcoach

1 Realistically in the right spot but your job as a hunter is to dispatch that animal as quickly and humanely as possible.  So you want to put as many pellets as you can in the brain and central nervous system, at CLOSE RANGE as possible.  This is one reason, 100 pellets evenly spaced, in 10 at 40 is a good rule to follow.  And why you should know what your gun is capable of by patterning it.  Clean Kills is what we should be SHOOTING for not Hail Mary's.

dublelung

It only takes one and it depends on where that one is located as to how cleanly it kills. One in the wing and the gobbler can have a broken wing and hobble around for days until something finds and eats him. One in the spinal column or brain and it's lights out.

Marc

Obviously it just takes one pellet placed correctly...   I believe the question pertains to what type of pattern we need to consistently kill a turkey out to a given range.

As a rule, I have always heard that 100 pellets in a 10 inch circle provides a dense enough pattern that it will consistently kill birds.  That is not to say that 1 pellet in a 10 inch circle is not capable of killing a bird if you are lucky, but that is sure NOT a consistent killing pattern.

You can count pellets, but if you have clumps with holes in it, that is not so great either.

I do not count anymore...  I eyeball the pattern and if it looks good, I am good to go.  Another thing I do is try to fit a golf ball and a pencil in that pattern without any pellet holes touching either of them.  Generally speaking, if I cannot find anywhere in the pattern where at least two-three pellets are not touching both the pencil or the golf ball, I feel this is a consistently killing pattern.

Now, if you get 150 pellets in a 10" circle at thirty yards, this does not mean you will have a lethal pattern at 40 yards.  You need to test pattern density at the ranges you will be shooting. 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

RutnNStrutn

1 - the Golden BB.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Happy

Judging from the Turkey gun pattern section I would say about 972 pellets in a 3" circle is what it takes to effectively kill turkeys. Just barely though.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

THattaway

Quote from: Happy on March 24, 2020, 04:59:25 PM
Judging from the Turkey gun pattern section I would say about 972 pellets in a 3" circle is what it takes to effectively kill turkeys. Just barely though.
LOL! Agreed. I just ran across a post here recently that said a choke didn't perform well because it only got a little over 200 pellets in 10" at 40 yards. :(???
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

StruttinGobbler3

My gun puts over 500 in the ten at forty yards. As long as I call them close and limit my shots to 30 yards and in, I'm pretty sure it will kill him cleanly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Greg Massey

Gobble!

1 but I prefer to throw 900 his way.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Happy on March 24, 2020, 04:59:25 PM
;D :TooFunny: Yeah, some guys take this TSS thing too far. To each their own. I'm gonna try out TSS in the 3" 20 ga I built, but just because I'm used to shooting 3-1/2" #4's out of a 12 ga land cannon!! :fud: