turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gnats?

Started by 3bailey3, March 23, 2020, 06:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Are you in bama? Gnats were bad where I was this past weekend. They wouldn't bite unless they got in the crease between my forehead and my hat. DEET kept them from landing on me, but they still hovered around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

g8rvet

What is a biting gnat?  Is that a no-see-um? 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

THattaway

No see ums, zoo zoo flies, dog pecker gnats in your eyes and face?

Two choices: Thermacell or cut a hole in the seat of your pants.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

g8rvet

Now I am even more confused. 

Florida terms:
Mosquito - two types-the little one and one large enough to stand flat footed and rape a buzzard.  the little ones are more plentiful. 
Blind Mosquito - annoying, does not bite
No-see-um (sand fly or sand gnat depending on where in FL you are from)- mostly coastal.  is very small, smaller than what we call a gnat and is basically a set of wings supporting a set of teeth. 
Gnat - (also dog pecker gnats) - annoying as heck, flies in your eyes and up your nose - does not bite
Deer fly, yellow fly, horse fly - all related, but different sizes-bite
Face fly,horn fly-mostly animals - looks like house fly
Dog fly (stable fly)-attacks what it can get, mostly coastal and hurts like heck when it bites, also looks like house fly

thermacell works on no-see-ums and Mosquitos.  Not much on yellow flies and deer flies.  Dog flies eat us up in the summer at the coast on a calm day and when they are bad, we just leave because you can't coat down enough with spray and thermacell does nothing.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: g8rvet on March 24, 2020, 12:24:13 PM
Now I am even more confused. 

Florida terms:
Mosquito - two types-the little one and one large enough to stand flat footed and rape a buzzard.  the little ones are more plentiful. 
Blind Mosquito - annoying, does not bite
No-see-um (sand fly or sand gnat depending on where in FL you are from)- mostly coastal.  is very small, smaller than what we call a gnat and is basically a set of wings supporting a set of teeth. 
Gnat - (also dog pecker gnats) - annoying as heck, flies in your eyes and up your nose - does not bite
Deer fly, yellow fly, horse fly - all related, but different sizes-bite
Face fly,horn fly-mostly animals - looks like house fly
Dog fly (stable fly)-attacks what it can get, mostly coastal and hurts like heck when it bites, also looks like house fly

thermacell works on no-see-ums and Mosquitos.  Not much on yellow flies and deer flies.  Dog flies eat us up in the summer at the coast on a calm day and when they are bad, we just leave because you can't coat down enough with spray and thermacell does nothing.
Larry, try a product called No Natz. It's available both locally and on Amazon. Works great for gnats, and is natural.
I was hunting St. Marks years ago and it was hot. I had just gotten my first Big Tamer suit, the one with the bigger mesh. It was so hot, I just wore a pair of green boxers and my Big Tamer suit. The no see ums chased me out of the tree and back to the truck!!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

merriamsman

I'm telling y'all, Avon Skin So Soft is the ticket for gnats. It doesn't work on mosquitoes though.

g8rvet

No Natz works for skeeters too.  I keep one in my truck door Jim!.  One of Off Family Care (picarid - I can't use DEET) and one of No Natz.  No Natz does not last quite as long, but it works well.  All the convenience stores around here that are anywhere near the coast carry it.   It is awesome for just plain gnats too.

3bailey3

so I tried No Natz today, the first day I didn't get bit, thanks for the heads up!

silvestris

To repeat myself, they are Midges, not gnats, and there are some interesting sites on the bloodsuckers.  As one might expect, it is only the females that bite.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

g8rvet

Never heard them called a midge.  Looked it up and see folks call them "biting midges".  Never heard that term.  What part of the country are you from?  just curious

J.D. Shellnut

Vanilla extract works!
60% of the time it works every time!

silvestris

Quote from: g8rvet on March 26, 2020, 05:06:25 PM
Never heard them called a midge.  Looked it up and see folks call them "biting midges".  Never heard that term.  What part of the country are you from?  just curious

S/W Mississippi/East Central Louisiana.  They didn't get real bad until the Corp of Engineers forgot how to dredge the Mississippi River.  High river=biting Midges.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

g8rvet

I never see them where I live, only an hour from the coast. Head down there and they will eat you up. 

fallhnt

Black buffalo gnats are the killer ones. I've read stories that claimed,in Lincolns day, the sky's were dark with them. Now that the water ways aren't as polluted they have made a big comeback. When they bit me ,the bit area swells up and itches.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

TonyTurk

I deal with biting Buffalo gnats in western OK.  They ignore my Thermacell and can make hunting downright miserable.  My best defense is a wide brimmed hat with a fine mesh net over it.  The hat brim keeps the mesh away from my face.  I have found that if the mesh is against my skin they will bite me through the mesh.  Hate those lil buggers.