OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gnats?

Started by 3bailey3, March 23, 2020, 06:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

any thing to help with biting gnats? they were bad last season but worse this year. I have tried some deet wipes and spray with no help.

RutnNStrutn

We don't have "biting" gnats where I hunt in the Lowcountry, but we have a gazillion annoying gnats that buzz around your head and drive you crazy. The only product I know of that works is called No Natz. It's all natural, using different plant oils. It works great!! It's available on Amazon if you can't find it locally.

Dtrkyman

Buggins!  keep it with you and apply often.  Menthol works also.

LaLongbeard

I got a sea to  summit headnet that works pretty good. I usually wear a boonie hat and the head net goes over keeping the gnats off your ears and face. It's black but you can see out no problem.
    Most years the mosquitos and gnats ain't bad till the end if season...but this one looks to be a bad one. Thermocell will be mandatory
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Sir-diealot

What are the thoughts on Rynoskins? I use them because they are black, thin and lightweight in the blind, but bugs have not been a problem the last two years so I have no real way to say.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

strum

when they get bad here in ga I carry a thermacell.

bigriverbum

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 23, 2020, 06:58:57 PM

trout fishing in wisconsin the biting gnats can drive a man insane.

buggins works good. anything with vanilla in it. i stole perfume from my mom once because it worked so well on the gnats

i have also taken bounce drier sheets/fabric softener sheets and tied them to my hat.

silvestris

Bailey, they are not Gnats, they are Midges.  I recommend a Ben's InvisiNet to use when walking on woods roads or any open area.  They are about $10.  The Midges aren't much of a problem once you set up in the shade in the woods off of a road.  Like mosquitos, the Midges are attracted by the Carbon Monoxide that is produced as you exhale, but for some reason, they tend to gather in open areas so they can molest those who hunt from popup blinds.  How's it going man?
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

3bailey3

you are right Sil, they only attack while I am walking not set up, Sil all is well one bird down and that's way early for me..

Greg Massey

Those things are worst than mosquito sometimes , buzzing around your head , like small plane..LOL..

merriamsman

Avon Skin So Soft - guaranteed to keep biting gnats away. I've used it for years in Montana along the lower Yellowstone River where biting gnats are horrendous. I've tried everything and the Skin So Soft is amazingly effective.

Paulmyr

Quote from: bigriverbum on March 23, 2020, 07:37:43 PM
Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 23, 2020, 06:58:57 PM

trout fishing in wisconsin the biting gnats can drive a man insane.

buggins works good. anything with vanilla in it. i stole perfume from my mom once because it worked so well on the gnats

i have also taken bounce drier sheets/fabric softener sheets and tied them to my hat.
I've also found out from my trout fishing endeavors that if you wear a hat with a brim that circles the hat it tends to keep the gnats above your head. It's not fool proof but works better than a baseball cap. I found after switching to a packer hat that the number of gnat bites behind my ears were dramatically reduced.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

dublelung

The ones Sil talk about are horrible down here this year. I had a gobbler over my shoulder Sat morning and they were as bad as I've ever seen them. I'm not sure if they were attracted to the gobbler butthole or my head. I told my wife about it and she said there wasn't much difference anyway.   :-)

rakkin6

I use permithrin on outer layer of clothes deep woods off on base layer and thermacell.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

ManfromGreenSwamp

Bugtamer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button