turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone forced out of work..

Started by 1iagobblergetter, March 22, 2020, 07:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Setting aside all of the societal implications for a moment and talking strictly about it all from a turkey hunter's perspective....

Assuming seasons remain open and travel is permitted, just imagine the potential impact on hunting areas.  Some seem to be thinking "Wow, this great. Now I get to go turkey hunting a bunch".  The problem with that is that every other turkey hunter is saying the same thing!  Places that were hammered mainly on weekends will now be getting hammered all week long. 
...Be careful what you wish for!....

the Ward

I'm in Ohio too. We are considered essential, so i am working. Figured a shutdown was coming soon, we were e-mailed travel exemption paperwork on saturday morning. Trying my best to limit exposure to others due to underlying health conditions, but my company has been making that an impossible task.

NCL

X2 what BBcoach said. I read yesterday that the sacrifices that are being asked are similar to what was experienced during WW 2, but surely not the same duration. My concern is how long after the all clear will it take for the economy to recover. There will probably be a reluctance by people to return to restaurants, travel, or areas with large contact.

Sixes

As much as I hate to say it, I think that if a state does go into lockdown, then the game seasons should be closed. The point of the whole deal is to reduce travel and intermingling to a minimum.

I know that hunting is a solo endeavor, but most have to drive to the hunting area, get gas, food and everything else. If you let hunters get a pass, then what about fishermen, kayakers, hikers, tennis players, golfers, etc, etc.

At a minimum, all state and federal lands should be closed.

Worst case scenario, the turkey population gets a year long break and maybe it helps in the long run.

Also, not to be selfish, but some of us will not be at home, I will either be able to go to work or actually be sequestered at work. I love to hunt as much as anyone, but if I will end up being restricted to home and work and groceries, so should everyone else.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Sixes on March 23, 2020, 10:54:40 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I think that if a state does go into lockdown, then the game seasons should be closed. The point of the whole deal is to reduce travel and intermingling to a minimum.

I love to hunt as much as anyone, but if I will end up being restricted to home and work and groceries, so should everyone else.
Nope
Cannot stop people from buying groceries or medicine no one has even hinted at such stupidity. So how many more people would you come into contact with at the Walmart vs a National forest Turkey hunting ? I have been practicing social distancing for nearly 40 years, I go above and beyond to avoid other hunters and so do most turkey hunters. It has always been a mostly solo hunting style, this turkey hunting. I never seen a reason to saddle up to any other hunter I see in the woods. We are after the exact same thing me telling them were I'm going would be stupid. If I see another Turkey hunter and we decide to have a 15 min we're you going I'm going here how's your " momma nim doing" conversation and the other guy is clueless or new and hasn't seen or heard anything. And your standing there with your knee high snake boots and tucked in camo shirt telling them how you been at it since 1978, were you think new guy is headed in the morning? I've never understood the concept. Rule #1-3 was always TELL NO ONE were you heard a Gobbler or were you hunt period.
    They can limit the number of people entering a store or tell you to stay home they can even close the WMAs that have gates. But how you gonna lock down couple hundred thousand acres of National Forest with private land/access scattered thruout? There are not enough game wardens to patrol the WMAs let alone the NF. 
    I think wishing public land closers on others because your circumstances will keep you from hunting is petty at best. 
      Louisiana as dumb as they can be actually have outdoor activity hiking etc. as one of the approved activities. They also made it clear people driving the roads, in a car, will not spread the virus. Real easy STOP enter action with others period.
      I too am curious how the hunting pressure will be affected by all this. But turkeys are still turkeys and most people are scaring them not killing them so we shall see.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

TauntoHawk

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 23, 2020, 10:33:24 AM
Setting aside all of the societal implications for a moment and talking strictly about it all from a turkey hunter's perspective....

Assuming seasons remain open and travel is permitted, just imagine the potential impact on hunting areas.  Some seem to be thinking "Wow, this great. Now I get to go turkey hunting a bunch".  The problem with that is that every other turkey hunter is saying the same thing!  Places that were hammered mainly on weekends will now be getting hammered all week long. 
I don't know why more guys aren't thinking this way. The Biggest complaints you hear is not enough time to hunt/work without vacation time/and kids sports

If public lands stay open and half of America is laid off places will be hammered 5 days a week by just local hunters even if you take all traveling non resident hunters out of the equation.

I'll work as much as ever through all of this just from home for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bbcoach

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 23, 2020, 11:44:18 AM
Quote from: GobbleNut on March 23, 2020, 10:33:24 AM

I don't know why more guys aren't thinking this way. The Biggest complaints you hear is not enough time to hunt/work without vacation time/and kids sports

If public lands stay open and half of America is laid off places will be hammered 5 days a week by just local hunters even if you take all traveling non resident hunters out of the equation.

I'll work as much as ever through all of this just from home for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
This X3.  I already told my hunting partner this last week.  What your really going to see is hunters (deer, duck etc) that normally don't turkey hunt at all, with so much time on their hands and going stir crazy saying, "I'm going turkey hunting."  People that don't have a CLUE about this sport and they are going to walk right in on you.  Also be prepared for that first timer idiot that hears you calling and comes to investigate.  Many hunts will be turned upside down and maybe even people shot by this.  Those of you that use decoys, may want to rethink that endeavor.  I hope I'm wrong but BE PREPARED!

Sixes

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 23, 2020, 11:39:08 AM

I love to hunt as much as anyone, but if I will end up being restricted to home and work and groceries, so should everyone else.
Nope
Cannot stop people from buying groceries or medicine no one has even hinted at such stupidity. So how many more people would you come into contact with at the Walmart vs a National forest Turkey hunting ? I have been practicing social distancing for nearly 40 years, I go above and beyond to avoid other hunters and so do most turkey hunters. It has always been a mostly solo hunting style, this turkey hunting. I never seen a reason to saddle up to any other hunter I see in the woods. We are after the exact same thing me telling them were I'm going would be stupid. If I see another Turkey hunter and we decide to have a 15 min we're you going I'm going here how's your " momma nim doing" conversation and the other guy is clueless or new and hasn't seen or heard anything. And your standing there with your knee high snake boots and tucked in camo shirt telling them how you been at it since 1978, were you think new guy is headed in the morning? I've never understood the concept. Rule #1-3 was always TELL NO ONE were you heard a Gobbler or were you hunt period.
    They can limit the number of people entering a store or tell you to stay home they can even close the WMAs that have gates. But how you gonna lock down couple hundred thousand acres of National Forest with private land/access scattered thruout? There are not enough game wardens to patrol the WMAs let alone the NF. 
    I think wishing public land closers on others because your circumstances will keep you from hunting is petty at best. 
      Louisiana as dumb as they can be actually have outdoor activity hiking etc. as one of the approved activities. They also made it clear people driving the roads, in a car, will not spread the virus. Real easy STOP enter action with others period.
      I too am curious how the hunting pressure will be affected by all this. But turkeys are still turkeys and most people are scaring them not killing them so we shall see.

I never said that about meds and groceries, but the restrictions will be for necessary travel ONLY, turkey hunting , contrary to some, hunting is not a necessity.

I can assure you that I do NOT want to see any type of restrictions but if these dumbasses don't take this a little more serious, it is just a matter of days before most all the states will be restricting travel. The DNRs of most states usually wear multiple hands and help with anything needed by  the people of the state, the last thing they need to be concerned with in the event of a pandemic and what amounts to home confined restrictions is people wanting to hunt and fish.

I wasn't too worried at the start, but within the last few days, a person that works in my wife's company has been confirmed, another couple that I know have been confirmed and a friend of mine's family member has been confirmed and is on a ventilator at 35 years old. So, I have realized that this stuff is real and I am doing my best to maintain a normal life, but I would not argue about restrictions if it shortens the length of this pandemic.

Our GA season opened this past Saturday and I was planning a long hunt starting this Friday, but if for some reason I cannot go, it is not the end of the world.

Cowboy

I agree with LaLongbeard. I'm probably the best "social distancer" there is or ever will be.  Never liked crowds.  That's why I can walk 20 ft off my back deck and be in NF. In very concerned about everything but if I'm not putting anyone at risk then no problem. 

Cowboy

My boss sending me on out of state runs is putting me and others at more risk than me turkey hunting in the woods.

Howie g

Some of my buddy's that hunt southwest ms area NF say it was people everywhere on a Monday morn !
  This area is already way over hunted on weekends .  This will just make it worse .   Be safe fellas .

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Sixes on March 23, 2020, 12:23:47 PM

Nope

I never said that about meds and groceries, but the restrictions will be for necessary travel ONLY, turkey hunting , contrary to some, hunting is not a necessity.

I can assure you that I do NOT want to see any type of restrictions but if these dumbasses don't take this a little more serious, it is just a matter of days before most all the states will be restricting travel. The DNRs of most states usually wear multiple hands and help with anything needed by  the people of the state, the last thing they need to be concerned with in the event of a pandemic and what amounts to home confined restrictions is people wanting to hunt and fish.

I wasn't too worried at the start, but within the last few days, a person that works in my wife's company has been confirmed, another couple that I know have been confirmed and a friend of mine's family member has been confirmed and is on a ventilator at 35 years old. So, I have realized that this stuff is real and I am doing my best to maintain a normal life, but I would not argue about restrictions if it shortens the length of this pandemic.

Our GA season opened this past Saturday and I was planning a long hunt starting this Friday, but if for some reason I cannot go, it is not the end of the world.

No surprise here point completely missed.
If they can't and won't stop people from going to the store or pharmacy and their 100x more likely to be inclose contact with people....what is the logic about stopping hunters? I don't know maybe robots run your local Walmart or Walgreens but here in the real world there's more people at the stores than the woods. You said you don't want to see restrictions but say if you have to stay home so should everyone? Not happening. I don't care if Trump  calls me personally and we have a conference call with the CDC and Wild life and fisheries I'm going hunting period. I had zero to do with this "bat stew flu" and I work all year to be able to take off for turkey season....it's happening I don't care who says what.

Marc

Nope
Cannot stop people from buying groceries or medicine no one has even hinted at such stupidity. So how many more people would you come into contact with at the Walmart vs a National forest Turkey hunting ?
The problem is not necessarily the hunting...  It is the travel.

Many, if not most of us have to travel at least a bit (30-80 miles) to hunt...  And we need to get gas, or food, or some other unthought of need in the course of that traveling to hunt.

So an asymptomatic carrier goes from a larger urban area goes to hunt in a more isolated rural area, stops at the gas station, and hands off the virus to the clerk...  Who then gives it to someone traveling from another area to hunt...  And so on.  It is not just coughing that spreads this...  And frankly we do not even know yet to the extent of how easily it can be spread.  It is currently thought that the simple exchange of money can transmit this virus.

ALL OF US HAVE A HUGE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY to PREVENT THE RAPID SPREAD of this virus.  Traveling long distances to hunt does not fall under that social responsibility currently.

It is NOT the hunting itself that causes the risk for spread, but any incidental interactions that happen along the way...

That being said, I will hunt this season.  My hunts will all be closer to home.  I will be gassed up, have food/water for the day, and will avoid stopping anywhere to purchase anything, and will AVOID COMING INTO ANY CLOSE PROXIMATY to anyone for any reason.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Marc on March 23, 2020, 12:45:49 PM

Nope
Cannot stop people from buying groceries or medicine no one has even hinted at such stupidity. So how many more people would you come into contact with at the Walmart vs a National forest Turkey hunting ?
The problem is not necessarily the hunting...  It is the travel.

Many, if not most of us have to travel at least a bit (30-80 miles) to hunt...  And we need to get gas, or food, or some other unthought of need in the course of that traveling to hunt.

So an asymptomatic carrier goes from a larger urban area goes to hunt in a more isolated rural area, stops at the gas station, and hands off the virus to the clerk...  Who then gives it to someone traveling from another area to hunt...  And so on.  It is not just coughing that spreads this...  And frankly we do not even know yet to the extent of how easily it can be spread.  It is currently thought that the simple exchange of money can transmit this virus.

ALL OF US HAVE A HUGE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY to PREVENT THE RAPID SPREAD of this virus.  Traveling long distances to hunt does not fall under that social responsibility currently.

It is NOT the hunting itself that causes the risk for spread, but any incidental interactions that happen along the way...

That being said, I will hunt this season.  My hunts will all be closer to home.  I will be gassed up, have food/water for the day, and will avoid stopping anywhere to purchase anything, and will AVOID COMING INTO ANY CLOSE PROXIMATY to anyone for any reason.

You won't be handing a clerk anything. Most gas stations are closed to public. How many people go inside to pay anymore anyway? Those that do will learn to pay at the pump. Buying food on your way to the turkey woods is how much more likely to spread the virus than buying food on your way home to the TP bunker? Percentage wise? Lol
     I'm not a virologist but I'm reasonably certain the "bat stew flu" doesn't know were your going. And if you or someone you know is bare handing a gas pump they deserve whatever they get. People are scared as shaved chihuahuas and you think they still licking gas pump handles? I know this thing can be serious for those infected but is it really necessary that we also stop using common sense? So few use it on a normal day now is not the time to go cold turkey. 

1iagobblergetter

I don't see what's wrong with a guy using his head packing the cooler, tent,getting gas at the pump(gloved) and going hunting. Keep the mingling between you and others at 0. I usually do that anyway. Most generally if i see another hunter i avoid them. I don't care about the how,what,and wheres.
How do you totally social distance when we have to pick up essentials with limits which forces you to go into places more often with people?
Common sense turkey hunting even in a crowded hunting area I would guess your chances of catching it if you stay away from people would be slimmer than going to the grocery store.
I hunt private land and dont plan on mingling getting from point A to B and back to A.