turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pot call ?

Started by gwa, May 11, 2011, 06:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwa

On a pot call, how important is the body material? I see spalted this and spalted that, wormy, laminated, curly walnut and it seems any wood can be used for the body. Does it really affect how the call sounds? Just how it looks? Strikers another story.

I can see the difference in a box call with the different woods but not a pot call. Any insight?

Thanks guys!

Denny

Last Strut Calls

Yes different woods produce different sounds. For example, a cedar pot will sound slightly different from a blood wood pot or a corian pot. The density of the wood plays a big role in how the call is going to sounds.

Roost Wrecker

My opinion is that the less dense the wood the louder the sound but if not right will start to echo. If u are making a slate call start with a walnut. you cant go wrong.

gwa

What about size? 3" as opposed to 3.5"? What's the biggest pot you have made? Smallest? Advantages of one over the other?

Last Strut Calls

3 inch calls are higher pitch than a 3.5 inch call. I like the sound of 3.5 inch calls and I make all of my calls 3.5 inch.
Kevin

3inchstrutbuster

in my expierence the softer wood seems to deaden the sound so you have have to thiken the bottom and sides IMO

Roost Wrecker

gwa I go in between and make 3 1/4. I just like the way they sound and my walls are a little thicker.

lightsoutcalls

Some of the softer woods need to be stabilized to get a decent sound.  A lot of the spalted woods need to be stabilized as well.  I have even had a bit of mineral stained poplar stabilized as it is too soft to use without stabilizing.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

KryptoniteKills

Different density woods will give a different sound all other variables being equal. Typically on softer woods I need to make a bit thicker wall or they tend to sound "squeeky" or "flat".

NCStrutter

I don't give allot of thought as to which wood I use. Mostly just use what I have on hand.  I totally agree that wood with different densities will have changes in the call's sound.  One of the most important things is sizing, clearances, and proper glue.  No two custom pot's will sound alike... even if you tried.  It's those subtle differences that set calls apart and sound different to turkeys.  I use 3¼" and 3½" calling surfaces and an occasional a 3" copper top.  Some come out sounding great. Some come out sounding "nasally", and some come out screamin'.... but they all sound different and they all sound like turkeys. 

To conclude, I would suggest using which ever wood you want and pay more attention to your tolerances, measurements, and proper gluing techniques.  It's all turkey after that!

Jeffro
"For it is in the Woods, Marshes, and Fields that Retrievers make thier own legends and become our Heroes"

gwa

Do you guys have a favorite striker you use when you make a call to test it?

woodwzrd

I know some guys have their "magic striker" that they test all their calls with. When I finish a call I like to run it with several strikers. If I don't like the way it sounds with one I will try another. A striker can really truly make or break a call.

NCStrutter

Quote from: woodwzrd on May 15, 2011, 04:53:29 PM
If I don't like the way it sounds with one I will try another. A striker can really truly make or break a call.

Same here!

Jeffro
"For it is in the Woods, Marshes, and Fields that Retrievers make thier own legends and become our Heroes"

KryptoniteKills

I have about 3O different species of wood to make strikers from. And yes there are some strikers that sound great on many surfaces but trial and error is how I find what works best for each individual call. Have a bunch of test strikers made up and your ready to rock.