turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cantilever turkey barrel for a Remington 11-87 3"

Started by bdirks, March 20, 2020, 04:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdirks

A few years ago I bought an Remington 11-87 3" slug gun for cheap. The slug barrel has a cantilever barrel. I never use the gun. I don't get much of a rise deer hunting. With all the new strait cased rifles being used, the slug gun market is more or less dead. So I have a Remington 11-87 with the turkey thumbhole stock and mercury recoil reducer sitting in the safe. I would like to use it for turkey but I don't want to have to keep taking a scope on and off. Does anyone make a cantilever turkey barrel for the 11-87?

Thanks,
Brian

Ozarks Hillbilly

bdirks

That is a rifled barrel which is already on the gun. I was wondering anyone made a cantilever smoothe bore barrel with choke tubes. If I switch barrels from turkey season to deer season I don't want to have to remove a scope mounted to the receiver. I was hoping to leave the scope with the barrel, as I have now with the cantilever slug barrel currently on the gun.

Thank you for replying though. I really appreciate it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: bdirks on March 20, 2020, 07:16:33 PM
That is a rifled barrel which is already on the gun. I was wondering anyone made a cantilever smoothe bore barrel with choke tubes. If I switch barrels from turkey season to deer season I don't want to have to remove a scope mounted to the receiver. I was hoping to leave the scope with the barrel, as I have now with the cantilever slug barrel currently on the gun.

You could get a smooth bore barrel and a saddle mount, many people here in NY have gone that way since they made rifle legal to hunt with here. 
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

1iagobblergetter

I know they had a 870 as your describing and thought they also had a 11-87 also years ago.

Borden811

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 20, 2020, 07:18:39 PM

You could get a smooth bore barrel and a saddle mount, many people here in NY have gone that way since they made rifle legal to hunt with here.

The link says the cantilever deer barrels are shipped with an improved cylinder choke, and a rifled choke. I take that as smooth barrel with chokes for whatever your needs.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Borden811 on March 20, 2020, 08:20:22 PM

The link says the cantilever deer barrels are shipped with an improved cylinder choke, and a rifled choke. I take that as smooth barrel with chokes for whatever your needs.
When I got my 11-87 it came with both the Cantilever scope mount on the slug barrel and the birdshot barrel. It came with an improved, modified and full choke, I ended up buying the Remington turkey full choke and it works rather well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 20, 2020, 08:45:52 PM

When I got my 11-87 it came with both the Cantilever scope mount on the slug barrel and the birdshot barrel. It came with an improved, modified and full choke, I ended up buying the Remington turkey full choke and it works rather well.
One of the best set-ups for a scoped shotgun imo.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 20, 2020, 08:57:29 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 20, 2020, 08:45:52 PM

One of the best set-ups for a scoped shotgun imo.
Funny you should say that, I added one last year.

John Koenig:

Ozarks Hillbilly

That should be a smooth bore with Remchoke

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

Sir-Die,I've heard those work well,but years back you could buy a smooth bore cantilever mount barrel and just put a turkey choke tube in. I believe thats what the O.P. is looking for.
No attaching anything to the vent rib. The mount is attached directly to the barrel. No vent rib.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 20, 2020, 09:09:48 PM
Sir-Die,I've heard those work well,but years back you could buy a smooth bore cantilever mount barrel and just put a turkey choke tube in. I believe thats what the O.P. is looking for.
No attaching anything to the vent rib. The mount is attached directly to the barrel. No vent rib.
Ah okay, never seen that. Mine is drilled and tapped to the receiver by the way.

John Koenig:

MK M GOBL

I have a Remington 11-87 Special Purpose Cantilever 21" bbl with "Rem-Choke" (had a slug tube in it when I bought it)
I took out the slug tube and replace with turkey choke. Done deal ;)

I'll look and see if I find the bbl online.

Made a few Mods, Here's mine!

MK M GOBL

bdirks