OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Deep clean barrel how long does it take?

Started by Bobby5, March 18, 2020, 05:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5

I got bored and read on here deep cleaning the barrel might give you better patterns.  So i took a brush with hoppes #9 and scrubbed it for about 5 minutes then kept going through with patches trying to get a clean patch.  Ive probably went through over 50 patches and still not a spotless one. Is this normal? This is my first time really scrubbing it good.
Thanks

Ozarks Hillbilly

Did you let your bore set wet for 10- 15 min. and give the solvent time to work?

The first time can take a while but once done it makes cleaning bore much easier in the future IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

Takes me about 45 to set up , clean and pick up mess

eggshell

I agree it's not a 5 minute job. I will usually put a rag in one end and pour the solvent in the other rolling the barrel to get it all covered and lay it flat for a while. I then push the rag through  and then wet a clean one with solvent and swab then use a brush on it and swab and repeat until I get a clean rag. I tear up an old tee shirt and I'll end up using half of it. It will really help your pattern consistency. My browning started shoot POA two years ago and I done this and it brought it right back in line.

Bobby5

i thought i had it somewhat clean and just to make sure used a brush for about 4 to 5 minutes with hoppes #9 and let it sit 15 min. ran a patch through it and it was jet black lol.  Ive spent like over a hour and 2 t shirts and the patch still isnt spotless its like it never ends lol. i ran a patch a couple hundred times and still not spotless.

Ozarks Hillbilly

You might make sure that your chamber is clean maybe just picking up dirt/solvent leftover in the chamber and not really a dirty barrel.

Bobby5

i took the barrel off and scrubbed the hell out of it  it looks spotless when i look down it but keep getting a patch with some black on it

Ozarks Hillbilly

Might pull the choke out and clean barrel and choke tube threads if you haven't and put fresh lube on the choke and reinstall it and see what you get.

Bobby5

captpete

Agree with it probably coming from the choke threads. Also, if it is a semi-auto, it could be coming from the gas ports.

RiverRoost

What lube or grease do you put on choke threads before you install.

Ozarks Hillbilly

I personally have used Brake Free brand lubricant for several years now. 

THattaway

Hoppes 9 in the orange bottle doesn't remove wad fouling. You will need Hoppes in the brown bottle and it reads "removes plastic/wad fouling" or another brand that does.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles