turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Holographic sight height?

Started by cornfedkiller, March 18, 2020, 10:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornfedkiller

I got a Remington 1187 compact for the kids, and thought it would be a good idea to put a TruGlo holographic sight on it.  I ordered a weaver saddle mount rail, mounted it on the gun and then mounted the sight on the rail.  In order to look through the glass, I have to pick my cheek up off the stock like an inch or so, so my head is just kinda floating out there, which I imagine the kids will be as well.

Is that just the trade-off for having a sight like that?  I'm unsure if I even want to keep it on here.

Tom007

The saddle mount automatically have the sight higher. If you could drill and tap the receiver to accept a weaver/Picattiny rail type base, the optic should be lower. Hope this helps, I added my Cynergy with a Spur Red dot sight showing base and height. Works well. Good luck...
"Solo hunter"

dms2511

Depending on make/model of your shotgun, various aftermarket stock options are available. I've also found Godagrip cheek pads to be useful in these type of situations. Unfortunately, most shotguns stocks are not designed to accomodate optics in the manner that rifle stocks are designed.

https://godagrip.com/cheek-pads-2/

Ozarks Hillbilly

My 870 SM has a Knox AR style stock. No cheek weld at all. But with a holographic sighting system they are parallax free meaning no matter where you're head is it is going to shoot where the dot is pointing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

beagler

Buy a Beartooth Neopreme Stock Guard/Sleeve. Get some foam pipe insulation and cut a piece to sit on top of the stock. Use some electrical tape and wrap it around the insulation to hold it securely. Next slide the neoprene sleeve over the stock. Works like a charm. I just put a Vortex Venom on my daughters gun and used the Beartooth for a comb riser. They also make it in a comb riser kit but I found the pipe insulation to work better.
Never Misses

Tom007

Great info. I have that kit on my slug gun. Will post picture. Thx
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Here is the Beartooth comb kit. Works great... Good luck...
"Solo hunter"

cornfedkiller

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

gdc23

I just started another thread on a mount system you may want to look into, not available for all guns but should be for the Rem 870. its the Burris SpeedBead™ Mount

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Bowguy

Quote from: beagler on March 18, 2020, 04:30:15 PM
Buy a Beartooth Neopreme Stock Guard/Sleeve. Get some foam pipe insulation and cut a piece to sit on top of the stock. Use some electrical tape and wrap it around the insulation to hold it securely. Next slide the neoprene sleeve over the stock. Works like a charm. I just put a Vortex Venom on my daughters gun and used the Beartooth for a comb riser. They also make it in a comb riser kit but I found the pipe insulation to work better.

Simple option

WylieCoyote

I'll just trade you a tristar youth auto 20ga with a EGW mount and you don't have to worry with any of that stuff.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

turkey_picker

Quote from: beagler on March 18, 2020, 04:30:15 PM

This^^^ I've got EoTechs on both of my turkey guns with Beartooth comb risers and they work great!