OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester 1300 and federal HW - Choke Recommendation

Started by Extremesolo, March 17, 2020, 08:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extremesolo

I have a 12 ga. NWTF Winchester 1300 that is currently set up with a rhino .660 choke tube.  It shoots a decent pattern with 3" federal HW #7 but I am looking for a recommendation on a potential different choke tube.  The rhino shoots an acceptable hunting pattern (140s in a 10" @ 40 yards) but I was thinking a non-ported .640 to .650 choke might do better with the FC wad in these shells.  I am considering a carlsons or hastings but am open to other suggestions on constriction as well as manufacturer to work with these shells.  Also, I see some of these chokes are marked as lead only.  Should I be worried about shooting something other than lead out of them.  I want to shoot the HW shells but certainly do not want to bulge the barrel or cause any other damage.

mightyjoeyoung

Carlson's. 660 non-ported or the Longbeard XR choke. Both give me EXCELLENT patterns in my 1300s.  Actually in every gun I own from a cheap 500 all the way to my SBEII for that matter...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

thundrchikin

Trulock has a choke specifically designed for that shell. I have one in my 1100 and 870 they do really well.

Tom007

Rob Roberts 660 choke does very well with Heavy weight 6, and 7's. It is a non ported choke. Also does well with Magnum Blend 4, 5, 7.
"Solo hunter"