OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 TSS choke Suggestion

Started by dswmsn, March 16, 2020, 08:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dswmsn

Can anyone w/ a Mossberg Model 835 24" barrel suggest a name brand choke & constriction for me to start w/ to pattern Federal TSS 3" #9 shot & Federal TSS 3 1/2" #7 shot @ the pattern board? I currently use a .690 Primos Jelly Head, "LEAD & HEVI-SHOT", & a .676 Star Dot, "LEAD ONLY". I prefer not to use them w/ TSS. I also have two factory Mossberg chokes...one FULL & one MOD "2 & BB STEEL & ALL LEAD" chokes that I will try. How about the Primos TSS or any other suggestions? At the price of 12 ga. Federal TSS I am looking for all the short cuts possible.

bbcoach

As you probably know, our 835's love chokes in the .670 to .680 range.  Pure Gold, Indian Creek, SSX, Stardot and Sumtoy are a few.  If you received the 4 chokes with your gun, as I did, I would recommend trying the .690 X full Turkey choke with the TSS.  Also check out the Mossberg Patterning section threads here on OG.  Many of the guys with 835's have done the research with their guns and have posted their pattern PICS.  Good luck.

trkehunr93

Try the factory ulti-full that came with the gun, mine likes the Fed. 3" 9's.  Nice, even pattern that's not to tight for a shot at 20 yards.

Old Timer

Quote from: trkehunr93 on March 17, 2020, 10:08:24 AM
Try the factory ulti-full that came with the gun, mine likes the Fed. 3" 9's.  Nice, even pattern that's not to tight for a shot at 20 yards.

Are they tss rated?

kytrkyhntr

I have the same gun and shoot a jebs .650 with the fed 3" #9s
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Southernson13

Quote from: Old Timer on March 17, 2020, 02:17:01 PM

Are they tss rated?

As tungsten is softer than steel (what your chokes are made of) what does it matter if it is tungsten rated? Those old chokes were not taking tungsten into account because it wasn't popular then. Lead and hevi only just means no steel. I would urge you to reconsider on the jellyhead. Puts a hell of a pattern out of mine with fed TSS 7s.

Roost 1

I've got a JEBS 665 I'll let go... Patterns TSS well but I'm  not gonna shoot TSS in it..

dswmsn

Quote from: Southernson13 on March 23, 2020, 09:30:26 AM
Quote from: Old Timer on March 17, 2020, 02:17:01 PM

Are they tss rated?

As tungsten is softer than steel (what your chokes are made of) what does it matter if it is tungsten rated? Those old chokes were not taking tungsten into account because it wasn't popular then. Lead and hevi only just means no steel. I would urge you to reconsider on the jellyhead. Puts a hell of a pattern out of mine with fed TSS 7s.
Having recently asked the question about using LEAD ONLY chokes w/ TSS I agree w/ you. One being .676 & the other .690 I think they would be good starting points. Also I am real curious about the STEEL ONLY factory Full & Mod chokes' performance & the Mossberg factory Ulti-Full.

Bowguy

Guys I'm no expert on TSS but from my understanding the stuff is really hard. I don't have any way of knowing but I was told if you put tss on an anvil, hit it w a hammer, the anvil gets tss dimples in it.
If that's the case, lead it's not

kyturkeyhunter4

Primos makes a jellyhead tss choke it's made especially for the tss loads

vt35mag

The star dot should be an acceptable choke for TSS. The packaging states "Approved for Remington Heavy Shot"
I have shot Federal TSS thru mine in my 835 without issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tennessee Lead

Kicks GT .695

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yelpy

howl

I have it on good authority that there are no turkeys on the moon. Therefore you don't need more than a full choke with TSS out of that gun.

mmorgan9812

Quote from: yelpy on May 31, 2020, 08:52:08 PM
675 Indian Creek.
This, no other choice

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk