turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pot call leg strap

Started by Here turkey turkey turkey, March 15, 2020, 09:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here turkey turkey turkey

Anyone know where I can get a leg strap that I can put my pot call on?

Thanks
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

rakkin6

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Greg Massey

check ebay , and do search on the forum, i think it was talked about couple weeks ago , about were to get one .

- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

Bowguy

A store by me had some. I can check for ya if you want me to pick it up n ship it. Let me know n I'll check today but it was there a week ago and it's a small rural store so it may be

rakkin6

Sorry I didn't see where it was unavailable, that is the last one I remember being made. I know H.S Strut made one quite a few years ago called the panhandler and MAD made one also but I knew they had been discontinued awhile back.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Brwndg

"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

GobbleNut

Hope you can find what you are looking for.  In the meantime, practice using your pot with one hand with it laying on the ground next to you. 

Your concern for needing the strap would logically be at those times when you need minimal movement to use the call.  Those times are when a bird is getting close enough that he might see you using both hands to call.  Those times are also when the calling you need to be doing is very soft and subtle.  Bottom line is that, with a little practice, you can make those calls quite easily, and with minimal movement, with the call on the ground beside you and using just one hand.

To take this a bit further, most of us work the striker with our dominant, shooting hand.  If you are setting up properly on a gobbler, you generally want to set up angling slightly away from a bird's approach to maximize your ability to swing your gun easily on a gobbler that comes in at an angle, rather than straight at you (can clarify that more if needed, but you probably know what I am referring to)

So, if you are at the right angle to begin with, and also set up with your knees up such that you can use them as a rest for shooting (which I believe a lot of us do), that also gives you the opportunity to work your pot call with no visible movement to the turkey.

With the one-handed, pot-on-the-ground method, all of the necessary movement to call is hidden behind your raised knees.  ...Solves all of the movement problems that you are trying to overcome with the strap.  Just a thought for you to consider....

Ok, thanks everyone for the help. I will practice some on the ground if everything goes well, I didn't think they would be so expensive.

Thanks gobblenut for the thoughtful post.

bbcoach

What you are looking for is the Panhandler.  It was made by HS Strut.  If you can't find one, then cradle the pot tightly in the crease of your folded leg at your hip.  This will pinch it tightly, allow you some movement without being seen and muffle the sound for your finishing clucks or purrs.

trad bow

:whip2:I have one called the slate mate by Muzzy that I've had for years. If bow hunting it works great as I hold my recurve in my left hand and can use the slate with minimal movement. I'm usually either standing or sitting in a chair or on a log high enough to let me shoot. Also works well if walking around.

Tom007

I have the slate mate too, great product.....
"Solo hunter"

Well guys I have looked around some and I just made what I needed. I took a piece of twine then tied a knot on each side. I then use a small carabiner to connect the loops to each other. I tried it and it worked and it's free considering I already had the stuff. Thanks guys.