OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If you only could buy one

Started by Oreegun, March 13, 2020, 06:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oreegun

If you could only buy one pot call for a reasonable price from a call maker direct what would you put your money down on?  Looking to get a pot call from a reputable maker for hunting.  Advice is much appreciated

Greg Massey

Ceramic from Mark Cornelius... Mac Calls

Chris O

You will get a bunch of different answers and none of them will be wrong.If I could only have one pot call it would have to be something that would run in wet conditions. Get yourself a carbon fiber striker and a wood striker as well this will change the sound of the call so you have a change up. I personally like a glass or crystal surface most of the time. There are a Ton of guys making some awesome pot calls . I didn't give you any names because it may depend on your price range and when you will be needing the call. Have fun choosing and I bet you end up with more than one.

Tom007

Great advice, too many great guys, all have great calls.... good luck...
"Solo hunter"

Oreegun

Thank you all, I realize it's a tough question.  Some excellent information and it's greatly appreciated.

grayfox

A double-sided call with slate on the smaller back side & aluminum or crystal on the main surface.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Oreegun on March 13, 2020, 07:11:45 PM
Thank you all, I realize it's a tough question.  Some excellent information and it's greatly appreciated.
Your question was if you could buy one pot call , i agree they are a lot of great call building and some could charge a lot more for their calls. So i gave you starting point because that's what you ask for, now let's hope others give you opinions of call builder's and that way you will have a better selection to choose from.

Loyalist84

For one single pot I would get a glass, crystal, ceramic or metal surface with a glass soundboard to avoid any possible moisture issues. Get a waterproof striker and ask Jeff Harrison (JLH on here) what he would reccommend for the sound on the surface you want, then call up someone like Nathan Taylor, Jimmy Schaffer (these guys I have personal experience with and they make great pots) or any of the other great makers like Buster Halford, Mark Cornelius, Bubba Hicks etc (no personal experience but their reputations speak for themselves) and get yourself a pot that will outshine your capabilities any day of the week.

Rzrbac

I don't use pot calls very much so consider that with my opinion. If I could only buy one call, it would be an aluminum surface and it would be built by Jimmy Schaffer

MDTOM84

Paul Hicks aka DaddyRat also David Halloran, either the crystal mistress or twisted sister

StruttinGobbler3

For just one all around pot call that has a good two note yelp with some back end rasp, and plays easily, I'd have to recommend getting a walnut green slate from Mark Cornelius (MAC calls). I have his green slate and glass. Both are excellent calls and two of the easiest pots to run that I've owned. I'd like to try his ceramic but have not had that opportunity yet. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

3bailey3

buster Halford red slate in a persimmon pot

Charlie 51

David halloran twisted sister. Hanks slate.

BTH

A weatherproof pot with a stoned aluminum surface and slate disk on the back would be my choice.
Phil 4:13

Oreegun

Thank you all for taking the time to bestow your thought and knowledge on this.  Does anyone have an email contact for Mark Cornelius?  I found a Facebook page but I don't have Facebook if you think he'd be okay with sharing it I'd like to contact him regarding a call.  Thank you all again for taking the time.  I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Derek