Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Mossberg SA 20 22in turkey shotgun anyone have one and thoughts

Started by GobblerReaper, March 13, 2020, 06:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobblerReaper

Going to be going from my remington 870 12 gauge to a 20 due to shoulder surgery. But also seen that a 20 can get the job done just as well. So I wanted to see if anyone on here owns and would like to share thoughts on the mossberg SA 20 22in shotgun in mossy oak model. Thanks in advance :thanks:

Oreegun

Looks like a great gun.  Personally, I am not a huge fan of the tang safety.  However, if the price was right it would be hard to not pick one up.

FL-Boss

No tang safty on Mossberg SA guns.  That mossy oak turkey gun is great, very light weight. I had 2 of them.

Turkeyfever

I have one and it is a great gun! The gun patterns great with the Carlson .575 turkey tube and Federal TSS. You will not regret it if you make the purchase!

captpete

The wife shoots a SA-20 Bantam...24" barrel. Great shooting gun. It will need a good cleaning & little breaking in to get it to eject trap loads. 

She uses a Hevi-13 .573 ported tube & 3" Longbeard 6's. It has about cantaloupe size pattern at 15 and very solid pattern at 35. At 40 it's starting get a little thin, but would kill a bird. The Hevi-13 tube throws a more even pattern than Carlson .575 non-ported tube. Basically the same pattern, just more evenly distributed.

hoythunter

I picked up a sa-20 over the summer so I have not been able to hunt with it yet. I have shot it at the range and am very happy with it. I can't wait to carry it this season.

dirt road ninja

I like mine. Factory choke left a lot to be desired. Gun is heavier then  they advertised.

patoad

I bought one 3 yrs ago and really like it.  Mine came (used) with a turkey choke in it, can't tell which one.  Shoots the Fed Heavy weight 7's (still have a few boxes left) great at 35 and under, at 40 yrds its just ok, and has a few holes in the pattern.  Considering upgrading to a better choke but need to do a little research first.

You'll definitely like the reduced weight and recoil of the 20 ga SA...

dirt road ninja

The sling stud on the forearm of mine stripped out this morning while carrying it

Reloader

I wouldn't own one simply because they are over gassed terribly with heavy loads. If you intend to stick with Longbeard or Hevi 1-1/4oz type loads, it's a good gun.

SOCOM304

Fine choice. My cousin has one and runs a Carlson's LongBeard .568 with Fed TSS 9's. Great patterns and great carrying turkey gun.

Red Huck

Quote from: Reloader on March 17, 2020, 11:56:38 AM
I wouldn't own one simply because they are over gassed terribly with heavy loads. If you intend to stick with Longbeard or Hevi 1-1/4oz type loads, it's a good gun.
Question the Mossberg sa-20, Tristar Rapter, Weatherby sa-459 and sa-08 are the basically the same gun, made by the same people in Turkey. My sa-08 came with two pistons, one for lite loads one for heavy. Do these other guns not come with two pistons or just one for heavy because they are set up for turkey?