OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question about mounting a scope rail on a 870

Started by strum, March 12, 2020, 04:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

I just ordered a 20ga  870 compact. Its not here yet but since it does not come with a rail and I dont care for those saddle mounts Im planning on drilling and tapping the receiver my self.
I worked in a machine shop for a 3 years so I have experience. Just never on guns.
I have a decent drill press ,calipers and a few machine tools.
Any thing I need to know here? Can I drill  completely through the receiver? I mean no blind taping?
From what I see on the few youtubes. it looks like one screw may need to be ground as its on a thin spot. 
I saw a Weaver rail on ebay for like 8 bucks thats looks like it will fit my needs. 4 hole monting.
Plan on mounting a FF3.

Tom007

You might want to get a mount that best fits the contour of your Remington Receiver. They make them that fit real well. Will make it easier to drill and tap, and will better handle the recoil of the new turkey loads. Good luck....
"Solo hunter"

lowoctane

Quote from: Tom007 on March 12, 2020, 04:45:08 PM
You might want to get a mount that best fits the contour of your Remington Receiver. They make them that fit real well. Will make it easier to drill and tap, and will better handle the recoil of the new turkey loads. Good luck....

X2!    :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Ozarks Hillbilly

Sumtoy makes a really nice base for the for the Burris FF. I cut down and modified a EGW rail to mount my Leopold Delta Point Pro on my 870SM.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

strum

Quote from: Tom007 on March 12, 2020, 04:45:08 PM

while I haven't looked at that rail .. It does say for for  20 ga 870 .

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

SumToy

They may a rail for it.   Now if you going to run a burris I would only run our base or burris 336 base.   You only need 2 holes.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

strum

Thanks . I thought about that but I wanted the option to run different optics .

strum

Hmm now I regress. Looking at the Sumtoy or the 336 mount.  They sure give it a clean look . And Im thinking the burris will sit a tick lower than on a rail . Giving me better cheek weld.
This is why I love this forum . great advise!!

strum

Ok I ordered a Sum Toy base. One more question for you guys.
  How far back should I mount the FF?

CrustyRusty

Check you PM...

Quote from: strum on March 12, 2020, 04:09:16 PM
I just ordered a 20ga  870 compact. Its not here yet but since it does not come with a rail and I dont care for those saddle mounts Im planning on drilling and tapping the receiver my self.
I worked in a machine shop for a 3 years so I have experience. Just never on guns.
I have a decent drill press ,calipers and a few machine tools.
Any thing I need to know here? Can I drill  completely through the receiver? I mean no blind taping?
From what I see on the few youtubes. it looks like one screw may need to be ground as its on a thin spot. 
I saw a Weaver rail on ebay for like 8 bucks thats looks like it will fit my needs. 4 hole monting.
Plan on mounting a FF3.

strum