turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Aluminum pot call

Started by Here turkey turkey turkey, March 11, 2020, 09:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here turkey turkey turkey

I have a enticer silver thunder extreme pot call (aluminum)

1. When I condition it with sandpaper should I sand in the same direction or does it matter?

2. I had a call maker that told me oil from hands can damage slate call and cause them to change tone, are there anything I should avoid with a aluminum call?

Thanks for your help.
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

BigSlam51

Personally I wouldn't use sandpaper. Get some maroon colored scotch brite pads.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JLH

Pure alcohol can be used to clean the surface.

Always condition the call in the same direction, and the same spot.

you condition the pot east to west and play north to south....if that makes sense.

Bowguy

You should always condition some calls as described. Say from 9-3 o clock. Not back again. (3-9)Only one way. The sticker should basically be run 12-6, so against the grooves you made. This goes for raw aluminum, glass, crystal, some ceramic, etc.
Slate imo can be conditioned circular. Btw I'm no fan of the strawser guy but my buddy has a few of his calls. He sent em conditioned circularly roughed up, these are aluminum. 
Regarding other aluminum, some should not be sanded, (Bead blasted type, Schafer, I've got some Platz, etc) only alcohol used. BUT there's dif types of alcohol. Some is oily and you won't receive desired results. Check the percentages.

BTH

I have the same call. I condition in only 1 direction from left to right in 3 different places on the call.  Draw your striker perpendicular to the conditioned spot to play on top of each spot.

I used all 3 types of material that Al sends with the calls to condition with. Each does produce a different tone. 
Phil 4:13

Here turkey turkey turkey

Thanks for all of the pointers guys. When I bought the call It came with sandpaper and scotch brite.

Quote from: BTH on March 12, 2020, 03:13:03 PM
I have the same call. I condition in only 1 direction from left to right in 3 different places on the call.  Draw your striker perpendicular to the conditioned spot to play on top of each spot.

I used all 3 types of material that Al sends with the calls to condition with. Each does produce a different tone.

I never got the sanding stone, where can I get one? I got 2 pieces of sandpaper and 1 green scotch bright? 
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

Turkeytider

Quote from: JLH on March 12, 2020, 07:07:25 AM
Pure alcohol can be used to clean the surface.

Always condition the call in the same direction, and the same spot.

you condition the pot east to west and play north to south....if that makes sense.

Jeff, the whole " condition only in one direction vs. back and forth " has always confused me. Some say one direction, then I watch David Halloran ( who I think knows at least a little about calls and conditioning, condition his back and forth ). Also, is rubbing alcohol what you`re referring to as " pure alcohol" ?

fishr64

For my Enticer aluminum I used the scotch brite to rough up an area of the call and then cleaned that residue with alcohol. Once I got that spot to run consistently I now just touch it up occasionally with the scotch brite but wipe it with alcohol more frequently if it starts to slip. That residue on the aluminum builds up on your strikers too so watch your tips. I found that mine really likes a diamondwood striker but others play well too.

It took some time to get mine running consistently for me but now it's always in my vest.

M,Yingling

normally on my metal surface calls  ill condition back and forth,, then ill go like a cross ,, I like have surface conditioned little every way I don't want have worry about hitting striker just right to have call run Ill use sand paper maybe twice a season maybe not at all depends how surface is acting and the grit needs be 300 and above and lightly  then I hit it with maroon pad ,,,, don't belive theirs no right or wrong how condition a surface ,, if call is a bit tuff to run and the user is not proficient at running a pot  they may have use sand paper get better grip on surface on condition one way ,,,, easy call run  someone good at running pot calls can go back and forth ,,, its just something u got find that works for that person   ,,, then theirs striker but that whole different subject lol   
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey