turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hawaii trip nice so far.

Started by Magdump, March 11, 2020, 03:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdump

Am at the police station and am bored waited for the hour and a half gun registration process to be done.
Thought i would post this to kill time.

We arrived yesterday and rented an Airbnb in Kona on the side of the mountain (steep) where all the houses are close together in a nice jungle-like environment.  Amazing trees and birds.   Saw a hen walking down our little street as we pulled in.  Took it as a good omen!

We start hunting tomorrow.  This morning i thought i heard a gobble and got up and sure enough, went on the porch out back with a mouth call and got one to start talking about 300 yards away below us.  In the crowded/steep jungle neighborhood.

Then heard a hen close and started messing with her.  Started adding in some kee kee runs and she came right into the backyard below us, a hard gobbling jake in tow.  Got them about 30 yards away, the hen just standing there and the jake right next to her, hammering back at about anything we threw at him.  What fun!  Birds everywhere in the neighborhoods at least.

Haypatch

Sounds like it's gonna be a good trip... be safe and GOOD LUCK!

JL_Longbeard

That sounds awesome, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brs2427

kyturkeyhunter4

Gobble!

rdlewis77

Sounds like fun.  That's on my bucket list.  Good luck!

GobbleNut

Hope you have a great trip.  Yeah, that gun registration process they have is a bit aggravating,...not to mention the carcass tags that you have to go searching for before you can hunt.  We found out about the carcass tag requirement from a couple of local guys at one of the hunt areas when we were about to start hunting. ...Had to drive to Hilo to go get them and lost an entire day of our hunt because of it.

From what I saw when I was there,...yes, lots of birds,...but the places you could actually hunt them were somewhat limited.  My interpretation of their regulations indicated that many of the public areas did not allow turkey hunting. 

All in all, once you get all the little details sorted out, it is a lot of fun,...but unless things have changed, they are not very good at telling you about those little details!

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Magdump on March 11, 2020, 03:48:40 PM
Am at the police station and am bored waited for the hour and a half gun registration process to be done.
Thought i would post this to kill time.

We arrived yesterday and rented an Airbnb in Kona on the side of the mountain (steep) where all the houses are close together in a nice jungle-like environment.  Amazing trees and birds.   Saw a hen walking down our little street as we pulled in.  Took it as a good omen!

We start hunting tomorrow.  This morning i thought i heard a gobble and got up and sure enough, went on the porch out back with a mouth call and got one to start talking about 300 yards away below us.  In the crowded/steep jungle neighborhood.

Then heard a hen close and started messing with her.  Started adding in some kee kee runs and she came right into the backyard below us, a hard gobbling jake in tow.  Got them about 30 yards away, the hen just standing there and the jake right next to her, hammering back at about anything we threw at him.  What fun!  Birds everywhere in the neighborhoods at least.

Thanks for the update; I just got my conformation email back from Hawaii, that they received our preregistration information for registering our guns. So I am hopeing we will beable to cut our wait time down in the police station. So with the five hour difference in time I hope you have, or had a terrific day of hunting. Keep us posted good luck

silent tom

Good luck!
I was there last year and fought tooth and nail to go back this spring. But it just wasn't in the cards with my work load.
Hope you guys have a great trip. 

Dtrkyman

Marc

I have a friend that used to go every year with the family....  Generally bow hunting.

Public land is weekend hunting only only (you can scout on weekdays though).  He managed to get his birds, plus various goats and pigs every year he hunted.  His family would arrive on the Sunday, and he would spend some time with them after his hunting was over...

As I recall, he met a local one year who took most of the game meat, and invited him and his family to a big luau to consume the food and meat...

It is a bucket list spot for me to go upland hunting...  Problem is the quarantining of the dog...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Marc on March 12, 2020, 11:37:25 PM
Public land is weekend hunting only only (you can scout on weekdays though). 

???  That regulation may apply to some public areas and/or some species of game, but there was no such regulation in place when I/we hunted there a couple of years ago. 

ddturkeyhunter

Magdump, was maybe lucky he got out of the States when he did. And maybe hopefully he is working on bird number one or two by now maybe. Anyway Monday is the day we are suppose to be flying to hawaii if we still can. Things are changing quickly in MN where I live, yesterday first case of viruse in my county. People in stores buying like crazy I was told, and now the other couple that was going with us is backing out. We had plans on being in Hawaii longer then them, they were only staying the first two weeks. So anything beyond the first two weeks we would be able to cancle if needed to, because we have trip insurance. The other couple didn't and there on the hook for there half, a thousand bucks for the first two week stay, and plus one of there plan rides. Just hopping to get out of here before it gets worse.
Would like to hear from Magdump that he is having a great time, and worth the extra trouble we are having getting there.

Here turkey turkey turkey

To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788