turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What are the notable differences

Started by scottprice, March 11, 2020, 01:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottprice

Guys I'm going to be making a shotgun purchase this week and I have narrowed it down to these options. I understand that they are nearly identical guns in terms of how they are built, but I'm wondering what would cause you to choose one over the other. I'm also still a bit torn between 12 and 20 gauge, all of my turkeys are killed less than 35 yards so a 20 would be no handicap by any means. I think the most attractive part of a 20 is the lighter weight of the gun

My options...
-Tristar Viper G2 or Viper G2 Turkey (pistol grip, cerakote and 21" barrel)
-Weatherby SA459 or SA-08
-Mossberg SA-20

I'm also considering a Remington 870 turkey special... As you can see I have a tough time making decisions for new hunting gear LOL

paboxcall

Ford, Chevy, Dodge. But I would definitely buy the 20 gauge, a quality choke, and shoot TSS.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

longislandloco

JMHO........good list, I'd add the Franchi Affinity. Again, unless your recoil sensitive, I'm 70 and still shoot  a 12GA, Benelli Nova. There is a big diff between your auto list and the 870. To me the 12GA just has more appeal as a general purpose gun, just me I guess.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

scottprice

Quote from: longislandloco on March 11, 2020, 01:12:21 PM
JMHO........good list, I'd add the Franchi Affinity. Again, unless your recoil sensitive, I'm 70 and still shoot  a 12GA, Benelli Nova. There is a big diff between your auto list and the 870. To me the 12GA just has more appeal as a general purpose gun, just me I guess.
I should also say that it will be used as a coyote gun for close range (~50 and under)  ...That's another reason I was a bit leery of the 20

dirt road ninja

Being that you are looking for a predator/Turkey gun. The 12 is going to be a better yote gun imo.

Ozarks Hillbilly

If you are going to shoot coyotes as well go with a 12ga in whatever gun you decide on. My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

scottprice

scottprice

Anyone else? Going to make the purchase tomorrow or Saturday

Tom007

Buy what feels best to you. Guns are personal, a good feeling gun gives you confidence. That leads to success... good luck....
"Solo hunter"

SOCOM304

Weatherby SA459 would be my pick. You won't be handicapped in the least with a 20 GA. Shoot TSS and you will never look back, whether it's turks or yotes.

mhamby

If you are looking into a multi purpose shotgun, I'd go with a 12 gauge with a 3.5" chamber. You can shoot 3" shells and kill turkeys just fine at practical distances no problem. As far as predator hunting is concerned, in particular coyotes, I'd stick with a 3.5" shell, mainly due to the number of pellets in the shells. #2, BB or T shot won't give you a very high pellet count. I'd opt for the highest capacity possible. With the 18g/cc TSS, T shot will have roughly 24 pellets per ounce of shot, #2 will have around 56 per ounce.
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

03a3

I have a 20 gauge H&R pump 21 inch barrel with tight wad choke and a tristar 20 gauge 24 inch barrel raptor camo with a tight wad on it also I have shot two coyotes and one big red fox so far this year and all there were shot at 48 yards with Winchester 2 3/4 #3 buck shot both have 3-9x40 scopes on them and I shoot turkeys at 45 yards with long beards also.So don't be afraid to get a 20 gauge.

Charlie 51

Go with the 20. I would look at BPS or a SX3. Shoot TSS and you will be eating turkey..they will smoke a coyote. Less recoil and less weight..

scottprice

I'm down to the Weatherby SA459, Tristar Viper G2 and the Mossberg sa-20

I'm losing hair over this lol

turkin8or

Where have you found that viper pistol grip in stock at?
I have been looking and everyone has them on back order.