OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Selfish or Smart?? To buy or not to buy??

Started by 1iagobblergetter, March 10, 2020, 12:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Thinking about buying some hunting/farm ground. I've thought about it for years and now I have been approached by someone who is thinking about selling some land I've wanted for years and was asked if I'd be interested.
Part of me really wants to.( I try telling myself as an investment) and then another part of me thinks buying it to hunt some here and there is foolish and maybe self centered.
I'm leaning on yes if he really is serious If I can get it bought right. Any opinions?

Sir-diealot

Unless it is going to break you financially and make you family suffer I see no reason not to do it. It is a investment, no doubt about it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Rzrbac

Been there, it's a tough decision. I won't bore you with all my escapades but I once turned down $250/acre land that I thought I couldn't afford at the time. I kick myself everyday about that. I later decided I was committed to buying some property for hunting. I thought I had found a good deal and the older gentleman who owned it caught a lot of grief from his daughter and wife. I was embarrassed for him, his daughter (in front of me) said it wasn't for sale and she was gonna get it when he died. The old guy kept calling me and telling me he about had them convinced. I left the offer open but he passed and the daughter inherited it. Finally my grandpas farm surprisingly came up for sale. I never thought it would leave the family. I told my mom, aunts and uncles I would buy it, I didn't want it leaving the family. It's not a great farm for hunting and holds no turkeys only a few deer. It's basically a swamp that once had cattle on it. I don't regret buying it at all. It certainly wasn't what I had in mind but as public land around here gets worse, it gets better everyday.

I said all of that to say this. I know several guys who have bought property for hunting. None regret it and unlike the Dow, it's value never decreases. Interest rates are about as good as they will get, I would buy if the price is right.

Marc

Just before I met my current wife, I was looking at putting out some money for a good hunting/fishing boat...  Convertible prop to jet, heavy-duty boat I could run anywhere...

Looking to pull some money out of my investments, I spoke to my money market manager...  He noted that I certainly had the funds, but also knew I was thinking of investing into a duck club...  He mentioned that the club would hold its value far better, and cost me far less on a yearly basis....

Duck clubs in our area work similar to a corporation.  The club has so many acres and each member owns and equal share, but the property is run and managed as a club... 

He told me NOT to look at it as a financial investment, but it would certainly hold its value better than a boat (which loses value as soon as you pull it off the lot).

As it turns out, I got an offer on a membership that was a decent deal...  From 2004, that membership has tripled in value....  While I certainly could have made more money investing in other ventures, I do not feel like it was a mistake.

I look at my club as a recreational investment, NOT a financial investment, that has not been a money pit.  I have received tremendous enjoyment, and have enjoyed taking out friends and family...   And, it is financially worth more than I purchased it for.

Oddly the person that really talked me into purchasing the club was my mother...  She told me "there is no wife ever that is going to think that purchasing a duck club is a good idea, but anyone you marry with any integrity who understands you, will not ask you to sell it once you have it."

She was oddly right, and when we unexpectedly had to move to a larger house that was tough on us financially, I was looking to sell my club, and my wife said "No."  "I is something that makes you happy, and you will regret and resent selling it."
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Ozarks Hillbilly

It is a investment they aren't making anymore land.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jroddc

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 10, 2020, 12:49:39 AM
Unless it is going to break you financially and make you family suffer I see no reason not to do it. It is a investment, no doubt about it.
I'd have to agree

RED NECK

I made the decision when I was in my early 20's.I found some excellent quality hunting property and went and walked through it and purchased it for 1/4 of what It should have been selling for then as It was property that had been taken over by the county because of debts owed on it from previous owners.

That same property that I paid under 30 000 for 19 years ago would be worth well over 300 000 now,the thing is.It is outstanding hunting for huge whitetails and bears,I would never even think about selling it,built a nice camp with power,satellite tv and enjoy every minute I can,not to mention it is 17 minutes from home yet the way it is set it is in the middle of nowhere. I now have access to approx 1500 acres within a 5 minute drive of my own land to hunt as well,all with a handshake and a gift card or pack of pepperettes from a deer every year.

Best decision I ever made.I have so many memories just from that decision that I cant wait to see what the next 40 years brings me and my family.

I almost bought the property that adjoins mine a few years ago but the price was too much,glad I didn't as the people who bought it are great people that do not hunt much and gave us permission to hunt it,we had been hunting it for 19 years with permission from previous owners.

Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

bc76

Land is the best investment there is in my opinion.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 10, 2020, 12:49:39 AM

This ^^.  Let's face it, it all comes down to whether or not you can afford to pay for it. 

Spitten and drummen

One thing my grandpa said to me that stuck was if you can buy your own land , then do it because thats one thing no one can make anymore of.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

trkehunr93

I would do it, no second thought.  It will hold its value and your kid's (if you have any) can retain it or sell for good amount when your gone.  The other benefit is you don't have to retain permission each year to hunt it.  If I can find a few acres for a decent price I'll jump on it quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

If you can afford it I'd buy it. Land is one of the few things that rarely go down in value. I've bought several pieces of property over the years and sold them for a good profit sometime later. The fact that you can get some Turkey hunting out of it is a bonus.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

HookedonHooks

BUY. BUY. BUY.

You said it yourself, you've wanted it for years. You certainly won't regret it.

deadbuck

It's all about who your neighbors will be. Here in Mississippi where we still run deer dogs there is a lot of land I wouldnt pay $400 an acre for.

Harty

If it is financially feasible I say GO FOR it.