OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dakota's {Pic heavy}

Started by Old Gobbler, May 10, 2011, 10:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

Hey guys , just got back from the Wild West !!!My close friends at the DC Ranch went for Rancher style turkey hunt in the Black Hills S Dakota , we flew into Colorado , traveled through Wyoming and right into South Dakota where we stayed on a private ranch owned and operated by one heck of a cattleman and good friend of the owner of DC Ranch in Florida -

This place is is prime , loaded with Mule deer, Antelope , Pure Merriam's , White tailed deer , there are soo many Mule deer that the antler sheds routinely damage the tractor tires and you have to look sharp when farming - 

I took hundreds of photo's  and will update as I get the time the ranch we were at is practically a historic landmark , Sioux Indians are documented to stay over in the valley and river that runs right in the ranch ,on the way to the Battle of Little Big Horn --aka Custer's Last Stand -

I called in for friends and my self several nice ones and had a great time , we helped with cattle mid morning after hunting and then went sight seeing nearby at Mount Rushmore-Blackhills , Crazy Horse ,The Badlands and the surrounding area , then visited with rancher friends nearby , these guys have big spreads , the one I was staying at took 40 minutes to get to the nearest neighbor - We spent time and hung out with the actual cowboy that Winchester used for tv commercials and latter on he became the logo for Winchester . Picture the running  horse with a rifle - He told us that he was paid well brought 2 of his cowboy horses and his borrowed fathers Winchester Carbine , he had to take a million takes with him moving his arms in slow motion - he showed us the cool photos - the stories, the people and the  places were very memorable  - these people in the area are soo nice , but these guys like whiskey .....

That Whole area is virtually unspoiled and some serious thought is put forth in me purchasing some property for a summer home if I ever get to retiring one day , the first few pictures are of Wyoming that is Breathtaking to say the least 

help Ive fallen and I cant get up !!!!

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

CASH

Awesome pics!  Sounds like a great trip.  You didn't hunt in your Crocs?   :lol:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Roost Wrecker

Sounds like a great experience! Bet u weren't ready to come back home.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: CASH on May 10, 2011, 10:53:17 PM
Awesome pics!  Sounds like a great trip.  You didn't hunt in your Crocs?   :lol:
No Croc's this time    :)  the terrain was near cliff's I used cleat hiking shoes for traction I was shooting straight down , it was crazy I actually passed on several gobblers that were within killing range but they would have fallen hundreds of yards down the mountain - there is one creek in there that looked like a giant ant trap - It was crazy you would glass fields for a hour then look to my left and there was a gobbler strutting on the next ridge and all you could do was look at him

Believe it or not the Badlands park actually had wild turkeys on it- the place looks like Mars,  but I got pictures of 3 Merriam,s feeding in there , along with  other wildlife -   
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

cannonball

That's some beautiful looking counrty.

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

TRKYHTR

Those are some great pics Shannon. I have some of the same ones from our trip out to SD. They wanted 14.00 to park in Mt Rushmore and wouldn't let you stop to take a picture. We did a drive by picture taking event. We also got the side view of Washington. Great country out there. Congrats on your success.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Kywoodsman

Congrats! Those are some great pictures. Several of those pictures look like you can see for a hundred miles.

Spring_Woods

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a wonderful time! Glad the birds cooperated too!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

CASH

Quote from: Old Gobbler on May 10, 2011, 11:04:36 PM
Quote from: CASH on May 10, 2011, 10:53:17 PM
No Croc's this time    :)  the terrain was near cliff's I used cleat hiking shoes for traction I was shooting straight down , it was crazy I actually passed on several gobblers that were within killing range but they would have fallen hundreds of yards down the mountain - there is one creek in there that looked like a giant ant trap - It was crazy you would glass fields for a hour then look to my left and there was a gobbler strutting on the next ridge and all you could do was look at him

Believe it or not the Badlands park actually had wild turkeys on it- the place looks like Mars,  but I got pictures of 3 Merriam,s feeding in there , along with  other wildlife -   

Sounds very cool.  That's gotta suck having to climb down the mountain to retrieve your bird.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

bird

South Dakota is truly a "Hunters Paradise".  The prairie birds out there give a whole new meaning to the word "Nomad". 

Jay

Awesome looking country, and strange that I've never been out there, considering I've lived not that far away.

drenalinld

Awesome pics!!! Looks like a great excursion. Pretty birds. Congrats.

Hognutz

Nice pictures, Shannon. I was out there a few years ago on my Harley. We saw a bunch of the places that you did. The scenery is really unbelievable. You can read about it, or look at pictures of it, but until you see it first hand, It all pales in comparison to the real thing. Very nice..Mike

Congrats on the bird/birds, by the way..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

bowhunter84

those are some great pictures!